AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Sony a couple times now and I am very impressed with the Sony's PQ. Now the price was a little steep but I did find it online in the low 7K. I wanted something with the Built-in NTSC Tuner (media box) and Built-in Stereo Speakers which the Sony offers.

Anyone here get a chance to see it and what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've been looking at the same unit myself. Threads on this board badmouth Sony plasmas, but I like the PQ (in the store anyway). I think the *floating* appearance of the screen is cool and I like all the inputs the media unit has. I, too, want a tuner and speakers and this system's approach to running just one cable and the power cord through the wall to the display from the media box makes a lot of sense.

I had been looking at the Sony KE-42TS2, although it retails for $3000 less than the XBR900, it is not as nice a unit and requires all cabling for every input to be run through the wall (if mounted) to the rear of the unit.

Have you seen the 50" XBR900? It retails for $3k more than the 42". Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
967 Posts
As the old SNL skit says, "If it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

Internet chat sites tend to favor certain products over time, call it herd mentality or something. The Sony's on this forum routinely get trounced, but when I see them in the store, I find they look great. Now their price is high, but judging by some of the $40,000+ cars and SUV's I see people driving, some people can justify expenses better than others.

Separate media (junction) boxes also are not popular here at AVS. I would support them for most installations. It would be nice to only run one video cable and a power line inside a wall. However, with the new audio receivers equipped with video switching, it may be possible to just run a single DVI line now, and just let the receiver act as your junction box. It would really depend on your system requirements.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I personally like how the Sony looks, so much so that I did purchase the KE50XBR900 which will be installed on April 29th. I will be able to give you a more detailed evaluation of the PQ after it is in place and setup.

Jim

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Looking forward to your review. I've got the itch. I currently have a 34" Phillips in my bedroom, but I'm ready to scrap it (the manager at my electronics store will take it off my hands for ~$1,800 (it's just over one year old), and get the Sony plasma.

Money is a small factor, but I can't decide between the 50" and 42". Besides the obvious size difference, the 50" apparently has a higher resolution( 1365 x 768 v. 1024 x 768). Will this make a noticeable difference in viewing?

Perhaps a bigger issue is my bedroom. I will be ~ 10 feet away while watching T.V. from my bed. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think Sony is biased against arround the AVS forums by the sheer amount of bad experiences with all their products. Their history of funky customer support and randomly shotty build quality has created alot of haters.

Understandable, but of course here PQ is the #1 drive. We can get instore warranties these days, so we don't have to deal with their customer support. Something recomended by the way ;)

Sony does make some of the best displays, especially their directviews (save Princeton), and i think everyone is looking forward to the 1080p SRXD projection technology they're working on.

If you like the display get it, but definately make sure that the other instore units you're comparing it to are setup decently.

Cyphatic

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10' is fine jb007. I also have a 50" Pio and my viewing distance is 9 feet away.

I also noticed that the Sony is quite large for a 50" Plasma.

Sony 61" X 33"

Fujitsu 47" X 28"

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Sony KE50XBR900KIT is actually 1" wider than my Pioneer Elite 720 RPTV which could be problematic if you needed to get it in a specific size placement, but in my case size is not a problem.

I am also upgrading the RCA DTC-100 with the Sony SAT-200HD because of it's DVI output to the Sony Media box, and retiring the Pioneer DV-09 along with the Faroudja DVP-2000 for the Sony DVP-NS999ES.

So it will be interesting for me to see how the PQ will change from the old system to the new one.

Jim

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Purchased the 42" from GG today. It will be installed (mounted on the wall) Wednesday afternoon. Now, if I can just find a component rack that works for me . . .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you pay for it Jb007..... Oh wait I can't ask that on here anymore :)

Congratulations. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I just have to say, that I think the Sony in question is a fine display -- I just can't imagine paying that much of a premium for it. It just seems awfully, awfully overpriced unless you have to have that frame.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have read the review of the Bravo D1 DVD player with DVI in this month's "Sound and Vision". I am getting a very good price on the equipment purchase plus a good trade-in on the Pioneer + Faroudja from my dealer, the price point of the Bravo is very reasonable, I will have to give it some thought as a possible second player.

Any thoughts on a DVI switcher?

Jim

·
23,031 Posts
As of last Thursday when the D1 started showing up in people's

HTs, the need for DVI swithces has jumped on order of magnitude. :)

The least expensive one I've seen mentioned is from Dr. Bott. It's

the same price as the D1. It's geared towards PCs as it also swtiches

USB. Here's some links that were posted for DVI switches:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1208

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=1107-MDVI

Edit: The Gefen DVI switch is HDCP compliant. I doubt

the Dr. Bott unit is HDCP compliant. (I could not see any mention

on a quick scan of the product description).

larry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also looking into ke42xbr900 on plasmadepot.com

has anyone bought anything from these guys? wondering if it's a reliable seller...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sold my Pio 502MX today :)

Now just waiting for your reviews.

I am also thinking about getting the Sony SAT-200HD and the Bravo DVD Player for my new Sony.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.