AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my birthday, (it's a while off...september...just I'm thinking a bit in advance...) I have been thinking of getting a nice Onkyo A/V receiver and moderatley priced set of Onkyo speakers. I'm merely an inspiring HT dude, so I'm far from anything proffesional and would like to read what some of those who could be more experienced think of what I'm going to buy.

Most likely the receiver and speaker combo will be WAY too pricey, so I'm straying off to two nice pairs of headphones. One stereo, for on the go music and such, and one surround, for movies, games, and perhaps music at home. For the former, I'm thinking at most $200 with the other at most $300 bucks. Should round out nicely for all intents and purposes, as I most likely will buy the stereo headphones before my birthday.

At the moment I'm using a pair of Tri-Port passive noise canceling over the ear headphones. I've loved them. Unfortunately the wires are getting quite old, so I have to retire them. I haven't used them in a few months, believeing that they were broken as one speaker went in and out, but today I got them out of my closet, played around with them, and was able to get solid stereo out of them. I like the nice deep bass, as I'm a fan of rap. You can't spell crap without rap, lol, ya, I get it...so plz don't bring it up...Anyways...On the other hand, I like all types of music, pretty much everything excluding country and "emo". I've heard that the bass on the tri-ports is more oomph than definition and, honestly, as much as I love the high levels of bass, I believe I would rather sacrifice a tiny bit of the bass level for more definitive bass. I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of Sennheiser's HD 280 Pro headphones. Can any owners testify that these have powerful but definitive high, mid, and lows? If these aren't really as good as Cnet describes them, can someone suggest a better alternative?

As for the surround headphones, I want it to be wireless. With the current setup in my room, setting up a full surround system would be possible, but a bit problematic. Plus, I want features such as HDMI switching and 480p upconversion, but I'll get more wattage than I'll need, considering by the time I could use such wattage effectively, the receiver would be dead. I'm considering a pair of Pioneer SE-DIR800C headphones. I've never truly experienced surround, so I don't really know what to look for...I have heard a few holophonic stereo music tracks before and they are amazing. I don't think it is necessary to have such accuracy, but if any owners of this or other surround wireless headsets can testify that this or their own set is quite good at reproducing surround sound in such a manner, please testify! The other reason I think headphones would be better is because I don't always sit in my recliner while watching or playing movies and games, respectively. Another factor I would want repliers to this part of my post to remember is that I appreciate deeper bass in my movies and games as well. Even if it doesn't reproduce the surround, as long as it is better than OK and the highs, mids, and lows are great, I'd be glad to own that pair of headphones. Also, the decoder needs to support DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1, and Pro Logic II. Because of the my TV is setup, I can easily move an infared receiver around if need be, so Bluetooth or RF isn't necessary.

If anyone can give suggestions as to what to buy while considering my preferences and price range, I would greatly appreciate it.
As you may have noticed, I don't want you to make the decision for me, I merely want to see what others of you think of the sound reproduction of these models. Unfortunately I cannot do a sound test, so I will have to go off the word of others. Plus Cnet isn't always the best source for reviews, considering the way they review game consoles in such a mediocre manner...but as I said, all help will be appreciated. I also do not mind elaborating on anything confusing. I have searched for things several times, so please don't throw out, "Just SEARCH FOR IT" or the like. I have and honestly, that does nothing to help, except possibly raise your post count.
If you feel I have searched unadequestly, show me by searching in a more adequet fashion. That's one of my biggest complaints with giant sites such as this...there are always naysayers to jump in and throw you the search card when it honestly does NOTHING to help...
Lol, though it's funny when they jump to conclusions and are then obviously wrong.

Thanks, especially if you were able to read that monster of a post and still find the energy to help!

·
Registered
688 Posts
HD 280's are great bang for the buck headphones. It'd be hard pressed to find a better value. As for surround sound out of those headphones, it'll be better than stereo IMO, but it'll never get close to what 5 speakers and a sub could accomplish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.