AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Josh.

I joined here back in 07' but have just been a lurker. Until now I have been satisfied with cheap HTiB, even though I've never settled for cheap stuff in my car audio.

I'm no longer doing car audio, and I've wanted something to fill the void that basic TV speakers just can't do.

After doing a lot of reading, here is a setup that I've come up with.

Room size: Living room 11'x16'x9' which directly opens to the entry way 11'x9'x9' and kitchen 11'x20'x9'

I already have a Denon AVR-E300

System:

Fluance XLHTB $700 after discounts

Dayton sub-1500 $180

Dayton sa230 (for fluance 8's in tower) $200

50hz high pass xo (for fluance 8's in tower) $25

12awg wire, connectors, ect... $70ish

in all just under $1200 shipped.

The reason for the Dayton sa230 is I don't think my receiver can handle the resistance from the entire tower, and fluance also has the low pass on the 8's at 800hz. And the xo is to keep the 8's from going too low.

Any thoughts, ideas or changes you guys can think of?

I'm open to anything, I don't have anywhere to put bookshelves unless I buy stands. I don't want to go over $1200

Thank you,

Josh

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Home A/V is not like car audio, it's way better. The Fluance XLHTB has an option of a powered sub, and the Denon AVR-E300 has Audssey. I think using a second amp/receiver would just confuse things. I would forget about an outboard cross over for the same reason. You can also use 14 gage cable and well find it a lot easer to work with. Todays AVR's are a very easy to work with and like a smart phone compared to the old flip phones. Set up your 5.1 system and run the AUDSSEY and it well set up the whole sound stage for you. There is no way you can take what you listed and set it up by ear and match it. and save a few bucks at that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I'm all for saving a couple hundred dollars, the reasons I am thinking about adding the amp is because at under 6ohms the Denon will go into protection and the insanely high crossover frequency they have on the 8's.

I could have the whole resistance thing confused cause it's been nearly a decade since I've even done car audio.

And with the sub, I have been under the impression that with the space I have, a 10" would be too small and a 12" would be pushing it

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd  /t/1521559/thoughts-on-this-setup#post_24455973

While I'm all for saving a couple hundred dollars, the reasons I am thinking about adding the amp is because at under 6ohms the Denon will go into protection and the insanely high crossover frequency they have on the 8's.

If you are really worried about that, you should simply choose a different speaker/sub setup. Why not just buy a better sub, and then choose towers (or bookshelves for that matter) that don't have hard to drive 8" woofers? For example, the Reaction Audio BPS 212 Turbo . Or the Premier Acoustics PA-150 . Built in subwoofers in towers are no substitute for a very good sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russd  /t/1521559/thoughts-on-this-setup#post_24455973

And with the sub, I have been under the impression that with the space I have, a 10" would be too small and a 12" would be pushing it

Sure. Your room space is a bit large, although it depends on what subs as to size. But little 8" driver subs built into towers aren't going to add that much. Start with the best external sub you can. Then if you feel like you need more, add a 2nd of the same later which will give you at least +6db of SPL output.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had started looking at Polk, I think I stopped because they have around a million and one models, I started getting confused.

A couple more setups I've looked at (and they may not go together)

$670 shipped

Polk Monitor 75T

Monitor 35B

Monitor 25C

or

$460

Polk Monitor 55T

Monitor 35B

Monitor 25C

And with the fluance set I woudln't expect the 8's to act as subs, which is why I have the dayton sub-1500 in there.

The subs you reccomended seem nice, but are nearly 3x the price of the dayton. I've been reading the Daytons are amazing for the price, especially under $300

Thanks for the input, all opinions are appreciated as I would like whatever I get to keep me happy for many years to come.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm back to searching my options, haha.

Still stuck on Polk:

$850

RTi8 towers

RTi4 rears

CSi5 center

I guess a better way to have asked this was, assume a $1200 budget, what are my best options for a 5.1 setup? I already have the receiver.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Those Polks would be a nice setup.

Now if you a sub of that quality, you'll have to do more than the Dayton subs.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I use Polk Audio speakers and went with there RM line. I get plenty of sound to fill a 18 X 14 X 8 space with a Polk sub that can send vibrations through the house. You well find that you well have plenty of power with any 5 or 7.1 name brand system, and never need all the power unless you are playing can you top this with the guy next door.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cel4145, which polk combo were you talking about?

As far as sub, what about

NXG NX-BAS-500 ($260)

or

Polk PSW505 ($205)

That PA-150 looks like, if it was $300 like it has been before, it'd be a lot easier to go for it.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd  /t/1521559/thoughts-on-this-setup#post_24457377

cel4145, which polk combo were you talking about?

As far as sub, what about

NXG NX-BAS-500 ($260)

or

Polk PSW505 ($205)

That PA-150 looks like, if it was $300 like it has been before, it'd be a lot easier to go for it.

The RTI8 set would be very nice

RTi8 towers

RTi4 rears

CSi5 center

I don't think that the PA-150 has been $300, except maybe a Black Friday thing? It was $350 for a while, then eventually the price was raised a little, as has tended to happen over the years with many of the best price/performance subs (due to inflation/increased manufacturing costs) where they don't run much margin.

I would bet on the NXG to outperform the Polk PSW505.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks you two for all your help.

I had a sale fall through so I have to buy this all piece by piece. But I did get the Polk RTi8's for $400. Now I can't go back n forth with what I want anymore, lol.

Now to keep trying to sell a few things and get the rest.

And with the PA-150, in Jan of 2013 they had a sale at $299. After all is said and done, if I can sell this old engagement ring, I may go with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully my last question.

How about the F/Xi3 in place of the RTi4?

Speaker position will be directly to the left and right up on the walls from my seating position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts