·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have on the way is listed below.
-- BenQ HT1075 projector
-- Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver
-- Silver Ticket STR-169120 120" fixed frame screen

I am considering the audio for this setup and so far have the below to start with. Any thoughts, changes, or recommendations would be most appreciated. Budget for audio is right around $1000 give or take a few hundred. For what it's worth this will be my first true home theater so definitely a starter system. Making the most with a limited budget that will keep me on the nicer end and sound decent.
-- Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel
-- 2x Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower speakers
-- 2x Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf speakers
-- SVS SB1000 subwoofer

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
-- BenQ HT1075 projector

I am considering the audio for this setup and so far have the below to start with. Any thoughts, changes, or recommendations would be most appreciated. Budget for audio is right around $1000 give or take a few hundred. For what it's worth this will be my first true home theater so definitely a starter system. Making the most with a limited budget that will keep me on the nicer end and sound decent.
-- SVS SB1000 subwoofer

How big is the room?
Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If the room has any size to it you'll likely be better off with the PB-1000 over the SB-1000. Were it me, I'd get the Wave Crest HVL-1 over the Pioneer speakers.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
-- BenQ HT1075 projector

-- SVS SB1000 subwoofer

That should be a very good system for the price.

I am not a big fan of Onkyo receivers, however.

I think you will get much better sound from a NAD or Marantz receiver, or even a Denon.

·
Registered
19,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well, everyone upgrades their surround system at some point so I never buy new surround systems. Used marked for that stuff is flooded with surround receivers, surround speakers, surround subwoofers and TVs (less so with projectors but I bet you can find that as well). My surround system is so cheap if I were to buy it now that it would be like going to buy a coffee in starbucks. My surround is a Yamaha HTR-3063, random satellites and center, Eltax millenium 500 fronts (no need for sub then), works well enough for its microscopic pricetag. Though my space is on the small side (3x4.5 meter or so), where the microscopic amount of wattage this amp can give out is just fine for movies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the responses everyone! To answer some of the questions posed, basically it is a long basement room at 34"L x 14"W x 7"8H. I will be projecting onto the far east wall and that wall is 10"11W. Rough depiction is attached as well. Looks like with the size of the room the better option is either the PB-1000 or 2000. Although the HSU VTF-2 is appealing from what I have read so far (thanks for the suggestion zieglj01). Will look into those Sony speakers as well. Have found a pretty good deal on the Pioneers though. Minimally used towers, bookshelf, and center for less than $300. Still need to follow up on it and check them out to make sure the deal isn't too good to be true.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Your room is huge....your sub needs will likely be greater than you have planned for. My room is as wide as your, but only 20 foot deep and i found I needed two subs to get the bass for HT. I am not a fan of the Pioneer AJ series, but there are as good as it get at the price you can get them for!

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Your room is huge....your sub needs will likely be greater than you have planned for. My room is as wide as your, but only 20 foot deep and i found I needed two subs to get the bass for HT. I am not a fan of the Pioneer AJ series, but there are as good as it get at the price you can get them for!
OP should look to upgrade to the HSU VTF3-MK5, place it near-field, and hope it's enough! That's a big room.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Make sure that deal is for the generation 2 Pioneer speakers, they were a worthwhile upgrade over the first iteration. +1 to spending more on the sub however, you have a very large space and would benefit from stepping up. If you can get those used Pioneers, dumb the extra money saved into a HSU VTF3-MK5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make sure that deal is for the generation 2 Pioneer speakers, they were a worthwhile upgrade over the first iteration. +1 to spending more on the sub however, you have a very large space and would benefit from stepping up. If you can get those used Pioneers, dumb the extra money saved into a HSU VTF3-MK5.
Thanks for the info on the generation 2 iteration. Is there an easy way to recognize the difference?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.