AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you who have purchased Vizio TV's how do you like them? Would you buy again?

I ask because I'm thinking of upgrading my current LG LCD that I've had for about 4 years to a VIZIO SV422XVT. I've tried to do my own research on this and other Vizio products, and seem to find mixed result on what people think.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Vizio actually has a very high owner satisfaction level. It also has the same failure/reliability rate as Samsung: about 3-4% failure.

I bought the 55" about a month ago. Not a long experience, but I love mine and yes, would buy again.

Last time I bought a tv, I spent tons of hours researching and ended up with a lemon. I spent very few hours this time: read a couple of reviews and looked at the set in the store. No regrets. No remorse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't purchased a Vizio yet but I do have some experience with the SV551XVT. My best friend replaced his old JVC DLP with this TV. I used to think of Vizio as a off budget brand and only bought Samsung for their quality and customer service. This Vizio changed my mind completely. This set out of the box is just amazing. The new Buick commercial with all the pot holes in HD is jaw dropping to say the least. I swear you can see every detail in the road and all the grain in the leather jacket of the driver. Xbox360 in 1080P is drop dead gorgous. I would say that it might be a little to much contrast currently but everything HD I've seen on his TV is just amazing. Puts my 720P 52" Samsung DLP to shame.

I'm actually looking to buy the SV422XVT this year and wait for next year to replace my DLP with probably the upcoming SV553XVT. I'm going to get the non LED 42" XVT for my bedroom. If my Sams Clubs had the 552 now I would probably get it now but they still only have the 551. The internet apps are really appealing to me. Especially for my bedroom. The remote is very nice with qwerty keyboard on it.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the SV422XVT if you decided to purchase it. Also remember that most displays are using cheap component cables and their is a lot of power running alongside those cables so it's hard to judge a TV next to other TV's as one might be getting a lot of emi from all the power running alongside those video cables. I always look to see if it's hooked up with HDMI or component when the picture isn't clear or it's artifacting or just plain blocky/blurry. My local Sams is pushing Samsungs currently and all the high dollar set's have the same Blue Ray disc playing in them except they are hooked up though HDMI and man those sets are just crystal clear and crisp, but again it's the video connection. OR so I believe.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Vizio's XVT line is really good for the money. Most of them actually use the higher end LG panels. I own a 47 inch xvt, and absolutely love it. my roommate has a 42 inch samsung, and my friend has a 42 inch sony. Once in a while, we will put all the tvs in one room to watch sports or something, and my vizio blows those two out of the water.

i did have a problem about a year after purchase, nothing major, just a small annoyance. vizio sent a tech out twice, but it didnt fix the problem. so they sent me a brand new unit. I had to push them a bit to get it, but all in all it was pretty easy to deal with. I would not let that stop me from buying another one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
just got a VT470M about a week ago, got a really good deal on it, so far so good, after calibration looks really good hanging on my bedroom wall, i got it with a wall mount for under 800, which is amazing for a tv with this many features....

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've had a VW37L bought at Walmart just over 1 1/2 years ago and it's been a great TV with great picture that has been used for at least 6 hours every single day (usually more than 6).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I may be picking up a Vizio.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a VF550M,3 mos,rate 8.5 out of 10.In addition,I've had a V-plasma for 3 yrs,good set.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm on the fence between a Sony Bravia ex700 46" LED vs. the Vizio sv472xvt.

I think I'm going with the Sony, but if I have problems, i have no issue with trying out the vizio.

I have a lower to mid range 32" vizio in the bedroom that gets used 2-3 hrs a day or so. Not a single issue in the past 3 years of owning it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think when Vizio first came out, they were a second tier company. They didn't offer in home warranty service. If your set needed service, you had to ship it to Vizio. That has changed, at least for their larger sets. I personally don't own a Vizio, but wouldn't have any problem buying one. I think they have one of the best looking designs going today. I love that little bit of silver on the front of the set. Looks classy.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I've been a Vizio owner for the last three years. The first was a 47" 1080p unit, which has been working well in my family room for three years. No problems at all. I then bought a 37" unit for my mother in law when she moved in, she has nothing but praise for it, no problems for someone without a lot of tech skills. I got a 32" unit at a great price for my kid's study room (I know), which has had no problems at all.

I bought a 26" Vizio to hang over a treadmill for working out. That has been fine, despite being in a more hostile environment.

I just bought the 472XVT Via, and am wowed by it. I've tested the via apps, both broadcast and bluray (OPPO) and am extremely pleased. Needless to say, I am a happy Vizio guy. I've bought all but the last TV through Costco, so have the return policy if not pleased (90 days) and the extra year of warranty. I've seen the Sonys, and the quality of the Vizios vs. the price differential, especially with the 472, makes it no contest in my mind.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just called the BJ's wholesale club (where I saw the TV), and they are completely sold out at all 3 of their stores in my area. Looks like I'm now playing the waiting game.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 55" my in laws bought in 2009 impressed the heck out of me compared to the one from few years back .. I'm now thinking on getting the 72" when ever comes out and I'm no loger questioning their pict quality.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have the sv470xvt, it is wonderful! Runs cool, picture is sharp, plenty of inputs. Will definitely have them on short list next time I need a TV.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhite79 /forum/post/18320381

I'm on the fence between a Sony Bravia ex700 46" LED vs. the Vizio sv472xvt.

I think I'm going with the Sony, but if I have problems, i have no issue with trying out the vizio.

I have a lower to mid range 32" vizio in the bedroom that gets used 2-3 hrs a day or so. Not a single issue in the past 3 years of owning it.

+1

Someone in the know care to shed some light?

Narrowed down to these two (at the moment).

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased the SV422XVT today. The initial setup was pretty easy. I hooked up to the internet almost immediately and was browsing various apps with ease. Put my OTA HD antenna on it as I don't have a HD DTV receiver in my bedroom and it looks very nice. I can't wait to get it. I'm hoping some more apps come out, and maybe a small web browser for small web browsing from my bed with the remote.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
if its mainly going to be a TV sure go for it they are good for the money paid.

if your planning on doing serious gaming you should read about input lag first and decide if it matters to you because at least one 47" XVT has been tested for lag and performs poorly compared to 47" LG LCD's using the same exact LCD panel (LG does a better job with the mainboard hardware/software obviously)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18326069

if its mainly going to be a TV sure go for it they are good for the money paid.

if your planning on doing serious gaming you should read about input lag first and decide if it matters to you because at least one 47" XVT has been tested for lag and performs poorly compared to 47" LG LCD's using the same exact LCD panel (LG does a better job with the mainboard hardware/software obviously)

So what exactly happens with input lag? What I mean is do the scenes flicker, or are they not synced up with the audio track? I don't see how the T.V could interfere with the input from the controller to the machine.

I've looked through your post, and must admit that I don't understand most of it. Yes I will be plugging in my PS3 and Wii to the T.V.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 /forum/post/18324702

+1

Someone in the know care to shed some light?

Narrowed down to these two (at the moment).

Thanks

I have the sony and I'm not overly impressed. I bought it at costco and I may return it during the next 90 days.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18326769

I have the sony and I'm not overly impressed. I bought it at costco and I may return it during the next 90 days.

in favor of what? the vizio? or something else?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts