Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since early April, my SS 2000 (factory original, no hacks or upgrades) has become somewhat more unstable. In the whole first year I owned it, it froze only 1 time the entire year. In the past 2 months, 4 freezes requiring hard reboots.

After one of the recent freezes, my scheduled shows were not recording, even though they were properly scheduled. They needed to be deleted, and re-scheduled to work again. None of the previously recorded shows were affected, though.

Recent changes since early April: 1 -- subscribed to expanded cable package (approx 70 channels, verses approx 15 regular channels before), and 2 -- moved the Replay into my entertainment center (it has 2 inches open space above it, partially open rear, and no components below it), and 3 -- ironically, this does coincide with the 3.02 software upgrade.

Now that I have more channels, the unit is recording more than before, although it got a decent amount of use during the 1st year.

The unit does seem to run hotter than I would like, but doesn't seem any hotter than I remember it from day #1. Anyway, last night I opened the unit for the first time in order to remove the EZ-bake cover. I assume that will help dissipate some of the heat a little better, but I wonder whether the HD heat will simply migrate toward the power supply, since there's no ventilation holes above either HD or PS. (Just curious -- why no ventilation holes above the power supply??? And I see no use for the EZ-bake except for acoustics, which seems like a poor tradeoff.)

Finally, I notice that things tend to go downhill if I do several of those "Find all Shows" searchs, and I've also noticed that keyword-search-based channels [Theme(?) channels....] are erratic. For example, I have a channel to record "Tennis". It was scheduled yesterday on ESPN1 and espn2 from 9:30 to 12, then 12-2 on espn2. The unit recorded the first show, but not the 2nd. There was no conflicts, and space was not a problem. I checked the memmeter a few times recently, and it was always in the mid-to-high 200's, approx 250-270.

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The unit cools by convection meaning hot air rises going out the top vent drawing in cool air from the bottom. Don't worry about the power supply as that heat will flow toward the top vent. Just keep the unit out in the open and it should run cool enough.

Trying to catch both tennis episodes using the zone "tennis" will not work reliably and it never did. Use a show based guaranteed recording for anything you really want to record. Admittedly even show based guaranteed recording fail from time to time for some unknown reason but it is the most reliable option we have.

Whenever you suspect the recorder isn't acting properly unplug it for a minute then reboot. This has cleared up many little quirks I've experienced with my Showstopper.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think back to back themes have always been a problem on Replay.

I started getting the "locking up" syndrome and that was followed by the drive starting to chirp on spinup. My replay was locking up 1-3 times a week or so too. When I upgraded to a new disk, presto- no more problems.

Originally thought it was 3.02. It must have been a coincidence?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to install a panaflo fan today, and if that doesn't solve the problem, I'll either upgrade the hd or give it a LLF and reinstall the partition.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What's a Panaflo and where do you install it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Panaflo is a series of very quiet "pc" fans made by Panasonic, and can be purchased from several online vendors, such as newegg.com and many many others. Do a search for Panaflo at Google search engine, and you'll find links to the Panasonic website, and also many vendors that sell them. You will also need a power supply Y-adapter, in order to share the voltage at the HD with your fan. Y-adapters can be found online, and virtually any Staples, Walmart, OfficeMax, etc.

Regarding installation, Do a search here at the replay forum for the word 'panaflo' and you'll get more information about using fans in general, and also several suggestions as to how to mount a fan inside the unit.

BTW - I used the 'slow speed' 80mm panaflow (the "L" series, approx 1900 rpm. They also make a medium rpm series and a high-rpm series...), and it works excellent, and honestly makes no noise whatsoever, even running at the full 12v. I highly recommend a Panaflo, although I'm sure there are other brands that work well, too. The reason I choose a Panaflo was the quality of construction, the slower rpm, and the quiet operation. Cheap/Generic PC fans are often quite noisy, and go bad rather often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.