AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a PC be fast enough to run three ATSC tuners concurrently? Does MCE support this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
SageTV supports almost unlimited sources, NTSC, ATSC, QAM, DVB. As was mentioned ATSC, QAM and DVB are already digital streams and as such do not need to be encoded. Hopefully you have hardware support to decode the streams for ATSC and QAM thats MPEG2 which is very common (Nvidia PureVideo) for DVB it cab be MPEG2 or H.264 which has much les hardware decoding support.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/11650034

Recording use little to no resources. Viewing is what uses the resources.

More than that. http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/ar...echTalk_1.aspx

vladd, Outstanding information. Are you doing this?

I guess i should probably backup my registry before i start doing this. I happen to have 3 tuners. My old HTPC had two PCI tuners (ATI HDTV Wonder and an AVerMedia 180A) but for my new build i got one of the AVerMedia combo coards (since i was going to need the NTSC tuner for MCE2k5 and my new mATX htpc was limited on slots and i didnt know if i was going to use the onboard sound or my revolution) since the onboard sound works well i now have a free PCI slot and an extra tuner... so i think that i may have 3 tuners there soon.

I'll post my results here for anyone else who's interesting. This sounds easy enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
MCE officially supports 2 analog and 2 digital tuners at the same time, running more is possible and not too difficult. The PC I use for recording has 4 tuner cards that supply 4 ATSC, 2 NTSC tuners and is capable of recording 6 program while watching a recording.

To add additional tuners beyond what MCE supports you must make changes to the registry, MCE Tuner Extender can make the modifications for you.

http://mce.ramonvanbruggen.nl/

Running three ATSC tuners shouldn't be a challenge for a fairly current system running two drives, one for the OS and one dedicated to recording.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you used MCE Tuner Extender with MCE 2005?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisthomas /forum/post/11655177

vladd, Outstanding information. Are you doing this?

If you mean did I write that blog... I wish.

If you mean am I using that method, not at the moment. I don't actually use MCE, but I've tested the method while playing around with the HDHomeRun.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW /forum/post/11655203

Running three ATSC tuners shouldn't be a challenge for a fairly current system running two drives, one for the OS and one dedicated to recording.

Is there a real performance benefit to running an OS drive and media drive? If so, do you have any recommendations for OS-only drives that are fast, cool, and quiet? (I know, probably tough to get all three).

·
Registered
67 Posts
You must at least have them on seperate partitions, you want a large cluster size for the video drives to keep fragmentation under control. Otherwise you'll eat hard drives as the head has to run all over to keep the video fluid.

Usually its just a matter of ease, you can get a 20GB drive for a song now so put XP on that and get something cool for the video storage.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR /forum/post/11658706

You must at least have them on seperate partitions, you want a large cluster size for the video drives to keep fragmentation under control. Otherwise you'll eat hard drives as the head has to run all over to keep the video fluid.

Usually its just a matter of ease, you can get a 20GB drive for a song now so put XP on that and get something cool for the video storage.

Should the Video drive be formatted differently then? Thanks for the advice, I think you've got me convinced to add another $40 for a 80GB SATA drive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
64k NTFS is format for the video drives, you can use the default (?4k NTFS?) for the OS. This can be done in the shell after XP sp2 is installed.

I also use the Seagate comercial CCTV DVR harddrives, as I build and install CCTV systems for a living, tring to branch into HTPCs more even though I started there. :lol:

EDIT:

Seagate SV35 = Surveillance Video Series

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...s/sv35_series/

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10005274

Best is get a bunch and put them in RAID10, RAID5 is less then desirable for these large files.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool. I pulled the HDTVWonder out of my old HTPC, grabbed a 4 way splitter for the antenna, downloaded the latest driver and hunted up a short piece of coax. Now i just need to do it.

I didnt want to mess with it yesterday because i had a friend coming over to watch a movie. I should be able to do it tonight.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vladd thanks again for posting this excellent article...

I used the Method 1 (Registry Only) process and it worked perfectly on the first try.

http://blogs.msdn.com/peterrosser/ar...echTalk_1.aspx

I am using a AVerMedia A180 an AVerMedia Combo PCIe and an ATI HDTVWonder and I was able to record 3 shows at the same time. I don't have raid or anything, and my HTPC only has one internal drive. I do have a relatively modern 7200 RPM Samsung SATA2 hard drive though and from the bit that i tested I didn't notice any dropped frames.

It even seems that the conflict resolution thing in MCE still works because i tried to schedule it to grab 4 shows at once and it balked.

What was really icing on the cake is that once i configured the 3rd tuner the schedule that i had setup for next monday (when Prison Break, How I Met Your Mother and Chuck all air at the same time) automatically noticed that i had 3 tuners and resolved the conflict.

Something that i should mention... in his article under Method 1 he has a error and one missing step.

In step 8 where he says:

If this is a tuner somewhere in the middle:

RecordOrder = whatever you put for the last tuner + 1

That should say:
If this is a tuner somewhere in the middle:

RecordOrder = tuner number -1 (1 for the second, 2 for the third, etc...)

Step 9 says:
9. Repeat steps 7 - 10

It should say:

9. Choose the next tuner and repeat steps 4 - 8

Last but not least step 11 says:

11. Start Media Center. Voila!

But he for got to tell you to restart the MCE service. So before doing step 11 you should execute:

net start ehrecvr

I read through it a couple of times and noticed the issues before setting things up and it worked perfectly for me, first try.

PM me if anyone has any questions about this and i'll try to help you out.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW, I ran the "MCE Tuner Extender" app but i didn't use it. The registry mod seemed straight forward enough but i was put off by the fact that the Tuner Extender application said that the tuners that i already had installed were not MCE enabled when i've been using them for weeks. So i shut that sucker off and fired up regedit and did it on my own.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts