·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally narrowed the list of choices ti upgrade my HT to the following:

1. Rotel 1055

2. HK 7200

3. HK525 as a pre/pro and Rotel 985MKII as an amp

All three options will cost about the same. The speakers are B&W Matrix 803 for the fronts, B&W Matrix HTM center and Boston Acoustic T830 towers in the rear. There is no subwoofer yet but i am planning on buying the Hsu Research vtf-2. Thanks for your thoughts!!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I like no. 3 except I would go with the 520, which I think has had fewer problems, and can be had for less. I am using a refurbished 520 and it has performed as new, and looks new also. I have about reached the conclusion that for HT, the less you invest in the processing end of it the better. Using an easily replaceable receiver as a pre makes more and more sense as new formats come on line about once a year. For music it may be worth it to go higher end, but only if you have a high end system to support it, or get a used/demo at a great price.

Dsmith

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also own a 520...and have just ordered a 525. Had one before that I believe was damaged in shipping. It has just come back to the price I want at the dealer I want to buy from and I'm going to try again. I believe it does a better job with both home theater and 2 channel sound. The music is more musical and the theater is more detailed. I will know for sure by the end of the week. Noone can find fault with Rotel's performance in amps. Good choice. The 1055 is also a good choice but lacks some of the extras you get with the HK's.

What you are using for home theater certainly warrants the better processor, but Dsmith is right in a concern about quality. It's really aggravating to have an unreliable system. Having said that, I have read many complaints about the 520 and fewer about the 525. My problems with the 525 I detailed previously in this forum. My problems with the 520 have been minimal, and are more annoyances than real problems. I can assure you that if there are problems with the 525 I won't keep it and will keep the 520. I believe it is the best alternative for anywhere near the price (under $1000).

Right now the 525 is available both from jandr.com and costco.com for $649. jandr.com includes free shipping, but costco.com has an unbelievable return policy. There are also refurb'ed 525's available on the web.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.