AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving into my new house in a few weeks and trying to plan my living room HT set-up. I already have a Pioneer 1522 AVR, a Cerwin Vega 12" sub, and a pair of Solid (B&W) surround speakers. Plan to purchase new speakers for the front soundstage, and I will eventually add another sub. The room is 17' x 20' and open to the kitchen on the left side; 9"4" ceilings. I prefer the sound of bookshelf speakers to towers (cleaner, punchier mid bass). System will be used for TV (65%), music (20%), and movies (15%). I plan to mount the TV (61" plasma) to the wall above a media console. The media console (72" wide, 21" height) will house the AV components with the three bookshelf speakers placed vertically on top of the console. This should place the bottom of the TV about 38" from the floor.

Does this general set-up sound good (TV too high?, speakers too low?)?

I'm currently leaning towards three Hsu HB-1s for the L/C/R due to the great reviews, value, and the fact that you can buy them individually. Will these be big enough to handle the large space? Any better options out there (better bang for the buck)?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Your idea sounds great with 3 HB-1 MK2s for the front.... I would ditch that CV sub tho. You have a huge space to fill cuz when figuring out a room size for a sub you have to do total volume to all areas open to the room the sub will be in.

I think that eventually you should get the matching HSUs for the surround speakers as well. But I would look into purchasing either of these 2 packages.

3.1 setup or 5.1 setup.... You may even want to add a 2nd VTF-15H down the road.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15pkg.html

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Three matching front stage speakers is the ideal. I would try to tilt the speakers to aim at the listening position if it is a good distance above or below ear level. Hsu speakers will tackle that room just fine, in my opinion. I would see to it that the TV is at a comfortable watching height, as the speakers can still sound good even if they are not at ear level, you simply want them directed toward your ears. This is easy to do with the Hsus due to the horn loaded tweeter, and as a bonus such a tweeter may work better inside a media cabinet anyway as it is less influenced by the acoustic reflections from the media cabinet's inner surfaces. Reflections in a cavity like that can be very detrimental to a speaker's frequency response, and this is especially true for dome tweeters on a flat baffle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The CV sub is just a place-holder. It will become a second sub once I buy a better one. The Solid surrounds are actually really nice speakers (IMO, at least). I was absolutely blown away by them when I tried one out. I'm using them as surrounds for their integral articulating mount (I need to mount on the ceiling).

The L/C/R speakers will be place on top of the media console, not in it. I am a bit concerned about the rear firing port being too close to the wall though. I can angle them up slightly if need be.

I am also considering the Infinity Primus 163's due to the front port, selling as singles, and incredibly cheap price. Between the two, which speakers will do a better job of filling the large room?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The HSU's will do a better job of filling the room. And if you place the speakers on top of the media console they should be placed at the front edge of the console, either flush or slightly protruding. This will keep them far enough away from the wall unless your console is extremely narrow depth wise. I have BIC Acoustech speakers which were actually designed with the help of Dr. Hsu and I think my speakers sound great for the price.

No harm in keeping the CV sub for now and buying a better one when you can afford to do so. However I wouldn't use the CV sub as a 2nd sub when you purchase a better sub. If setup properly the better sub will be held back by the CV, it is usually best and always easiest to setup multiple identical subs rather than mix matching.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I have both the Hsu and Primus speakers (well the p162, but they are mostly identical with the p163). Both are good speakers. Rear porting shouldn't be an issue as long as you can give them at least a couple inches in the rear. You would want a couple inches in the rear regardless of what speaker you get, if only for speaker cable connection, especially if you are using plugs on the cables.

Like Flick said, I wouldn't use the CV as a second sub unless you get another CV just like it. You don't want to try to mix subs that perform very differently.

·
Registered
209 Posts

A little warning,

the hsu research center channel is a bit big,so make sure you have room on your entertainment stands.

I also own hsu speakers and they fill my 10x18 bedroom pretty well. 

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
^^^ The OP isn't planning on using the actual center. He is planning on using 3 of the Bookshelves for the fronts.

Reactions: PcGeek626

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1472990/three-hsu-hb-1-mk2s-for-l-c-r#post_23323374

No harm in keeping the CV sub for now and buying a better one when you can afford to do so. However I wouldn't use the CV sub as a 2nd sub when you purchase a better sub. If setup properly the better sub will be held back by the CV, it is usually best and always easiest to setup multiple identical subs rather than mix matching.

I didn't know that. I just figured two subs were always better than one. I guess that I can retire it to the upstairs system once I upgrade to a better sub.

Shadyj- Since you own both, do you think that the Hsu are a lot better than the Primus? Price isn't my biggest factor, but the Primus is 1/2 the price of the Hsu. If they are roughly equivalent, I can throw the money towards a better sub.

I need a speaker that will fill the room when I can crank it, but also sound good at lower listening levels. My wife makes me turn the TV down when our 11 month old son goes to sleep.
Which of these will fulfill these requirments the best?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
They are different. The Hsu have more powerful, deeper bass and snappier mids. The Primus have more shimmering highs and a bit more detailed treble. The sound stage is different too, the Primus seem wider and more enveloping, but the Hsu seem more precise and pinpoint accurate. Personally I prefer the Hsus because I can listen to music longer without any fatigue, I think this is because the treble isn't as hot on them. I also think the Hsus handle high volumes more easily as well. The $86 sale price on the Primus p163 is a crazy good value though, and sometimes it can even hit $60 per speaker at Fry's. Speakers that good don't have any business being that cheap. I would say if you have those movie nights where you really like to crank it, go for the Hsus, but if you intend to listen at modest volumes mostly, go for the Primus speakers, because its hard to argue against that price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1472990/three-hsu-hb-1-mk2s-for-l-c-r#post_23323936

They are different. The Hsu have more powerful, deeper bass and snappier mids. The Primus have more shimmering highs and a bit more detailed treble. The sound stage is different too, the Primus seem wider and more enveloping, but the Hsu seem more precise and pinpoint accurate. Personally I prefer the Hsus because I can listen to music longer without any fatigue, I think this is because the treble isn't as hot on them. I also think the Hsus handle high volumes more easily as well. The $86 sale price on the Primus p163 is a crazy good value though, and sometimes it can even hit $60 per speaker at Fry's. Speakers that good don't have any business being that cheap. I would say if you have those movie nights where you really like to crank it, go for the Hsus, but if you intend to listen at modest volumes mostly, go for the Primus speakers, because its hard to argue against that price.

Thanks for explaining the differences. From your description it sounds like I would probably like the Hsus better, but the Primus might actually be the better choice for my application. Although I love the thought of watching movies at earth shattering volume, I rarely get to do this anymore (with an 11 month old son). Realistically, 90% of the time my system will be at moderate to low volumes. I also like the idea of a wider sounstage for listening to music while moving around the living room & kitchen. So it now looks like I'm going with three P163s for the F/C/R.

If my TV position turns out higher than I prefer, can I rotate the tweeter and place the center 163 horizontally?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
You might be able to rotate the tweeters on the Primus, the screw placements suggest you can. I haven't heard of anyone doing that though. I know you can with the Hsu speakers, I have done that with them.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank  /t/1472990/three-hsu-hb-1-mk2s-for-l-c-r#post_23326102

If my TV position turns out higher than I prefer, can I rotate the tweeter and place the center 163 horizontally?

Looks like it. And with that tweeter so close to the woofer, that speaker is a pretty good candidate for 'toppling'.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I currently run (5) HB-1's for my front and rear soundstage and have nothing but good things to say about them. My listening habits are about 60% Music,20% Movies and 10% TV football season.During my music listening sessions I find them non-fatiguing to my ears very enveloping with great mid bass even with the subs off sometimes but placement is key with them . I am running 2 separate amps to the front and rear so there is plenty of power but its not really needed due to my current room size and the high sensitivity of the HSU's but I have turned the volume up a few times when demoing for people and they are loud !!!!

I am not personally familiar with the Primus but have heard good things about them as well from some others and feel that either choice will be a good one in the end.

Looking forward to hearing your updates!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts

What do you guys think of HSU Research speakers.

Ultra15 - 5.1 Package

Seeing there is really no way to try them out it makes it kinda hard to buy them. It's a good deal for $1900 including shipping. That's if the speakers are any good.

My worry is the horn. I am not a fan of the Klipsch RF series. I find the horn very painful to listen too. From what I have read the horn on the HSUs is much less honky

·
Registered
96 Posts
A little warning,
the hsu research center channel is a bit big,so make sure you have room on your entertainment stands.
I also own hsu speakers and they fill my 10x18 bedroom pretty well.

PcGeek,
Good to hear the Hsu's fill your room up very well. My room I plan on converting to a HT room measures 12'x13'x9' closed room , 2nd floor. Was going to go with 4 of the HB-1's and the center along with a SVS SB-2000 sub. I'm hoping I will be pleased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts