AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new hitachi 36 inch HDTV ready TV.

I just noticed a scratch in the antiglare coating. It reflects light but with the room dark, that is not the problem. It also difracts enought light to leave a visible dark spot that is sometimes objectionable.

I considered putting a little lens oil (used in microscopy to decrease difraction when using high magnifications) I hesitate because I do not know if it will disolve or otherwise mar the surrounding coating.

Does anyone know how to solve or improve this problem?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get rid of the kids and the dog? Maybe not.

Seriously, I was in the home theater store a couple of weeks ago, and they were selling a Mits 46807 for $1500, but it had a hefty scratch in the screen. It's a removable screen, though.

I already have a 46807 (paid $2100 for a floor model in Jan 2001) but I was wondering, "Would I pay this low price for a model with a gouge?"

I know that some people take the screen off to have a more vivid screen. (Probably folks without kids and dogs do this.) I was wondering if any of these screens change hands.

In any event, although I probably didn't provide any useful information to you, good luck with your situation.

Dan Burgess

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I'd do 2 things:

1) don't let your dog watch lassie in HD anymore.

2) call hitachi about a replacement lens. Surely this happens more often than you'd think.

good luck

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Could you rub it out with some buffing compound?

I don't own an rptv, so try it at your own risk.

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's a scratch on the tube. I don't want to ruin more of the antireflective coating fixing the small scratch that is there.

I think the lense oil would help on a temporary basis but I don't know the composition of the coating and am afraid of causing more harm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.