AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Nvidia 9600 gt. I want to go hdmi out to my tv for my htpc and dvi to main (gaming) pc monitor.

I really want to keep my dual monitor setup at the pc and need another card. My mobo only has one PCIex16 slot. PCIex1 slot cards are to few and expensive, so I am thinking of getting a pci video card. Something like Nvidia 8800. I checked the Nvidia website and they both use the same drivers and support win 7 64. With this second card I will go out either vga/dvi to my second pc monitor.

How does this sound? Will it work? Will the pci video card be a system resource hog?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
One has to be a displayport.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/18149173

One has to be a displayport.

Or you can get a displayport to HDMI or DVI adapter for another few bucks. It is a good point though, I still say it's easier than trying to fiddle with two generations of cards, especially if he's thinking of running dual desktop monitors off of a PCI 8800.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
So far my purchased adapters don't work.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
For the OP, dual monitor with a card with hdmi is no problem. Some default the audio out the hdmi so settings need attention.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good call on the ATi card. I didn't know there were card (for around $100) that supported 3 monitors. That display port thing might be tricky.

Essentially the 8800 card would just be to display the image for the second monitor. My main card would have 2 outs, 1 hdmi to the tv and the other to my main monitor. From the feedback I'm guessing it will work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18152395

Realize with WMC the application will "hog" your mouse. When running WMC you can't use your other 2 monitors for other work.

That's wrong...sort of. If you have at least one application running on your desktop monitors you can either +tab or +tab over to that application and the mouse will stay in that monitor until you switch back to the Media Center monitor. If no applicaions are running you can either hit the button or +Esc to pull up the start menu. Then click on your web browser, notepad, minesweeper, etc to start an application on your desktop screen and this will keep the mouse from jumping back to Media Center. For me this isnt a problem as I use a Windows Media Center remote to navigate in Media Center and it doesnt affect the other screens. The only thing I cant do (with my 9800Gt setup anyway) is run another full screen application, such as a game, on the other monitors without freaking out the whole system....but it works great for web browsing, windowed games, productivity, or watching another movie/show in Media Player while the girlfriend watches her stuff on the big screen.

edit: This is with Windows 7 Pro...YMMV if it's a different OS.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18152395

Realize with WMC the application will "hog" your mouse. When running WMC you can't use your other 2 monitors for other work.

A (or two) solution exists: Dual display W7 MC issue . (I don't know if it really works.)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by templetun /forum/post/18147255

I have an Nvidia 9600 gt. I want to go hdmi out to my tv for my htpc and dvi to main (gaming) pc monitor.

I really want to keep my dual monitor setup at the pc and need another card. My mobo only has one PCIex16 slot. PCIex1 slot cards are to few and expensive, so I am thinking of getting a pci video card. Something like Nvidia 8800. I checked the Nvidia website and they both use the same drivers and support win 7 64. With this second card I will go out either vga/dvi to my second pc monitor.

How does this sound? Will it work? Will the pci video card be a system resource hog?

I ran 3 CRT monitors for a few years; hooked up exactly as you want to do. The difference is my setup had an AGP ATI 9200 and a PCI ATI 3D Rage (older generation than the 9200). Then I replaced the PCI card with the ATI 9250 and that too ran smoothly. I remember at one time I hooked up a fourth connection (a projector) to the PCI card's VGA line. I watched a few movies with my system running 4 connections for a few days.

As long as Nvidia's drivers don't create a problem, your hardware & Windows OS should work just fine.

Another thing to consider is Display Mode: with 2 separate cards, Clone mode is not possible (AFAIK), only extended. So if your goal is to clone all 3 monitors, the 3-port ATI card is the best choice.

Edit: There are 5670/5750 cards with HDMI, DVI and VGA out.

For that matter my old Gigabyte HD4350 had 3 outs. The only problem with the older cards is that the DVI and HDMI ports shared the same pipeline so you can only use one at a time. However, my $20 Gigabyte allowed me to use all 3 at the same time, TV (DVI), Projector (HDMI) and Touchscreen (VGA). Of course I was running Clone Mode and not Extended, hence it worked for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's great, I appreciate it. I don't use clone for anything. Everything is expanded view. It's a pita to keel disabling the tv output and enabling the second pc monitor all the time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I tried to do something similar with my projector and Windows7. The problem I had was that when I powered my projector on and off, it would throw media center to a different screen and mess up the resolution, even with a 1080p monitor.

My solution was to run the pc primary hdmi out into a cheap monoprice powered splitter, which then fed the projector and my monitor. The splitter essentially held the display output on the pc open and didn't allow it shut down if the displays were actually turned off. It's essentially "clone mode" but hard wired.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.