AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have Directv HDTV STB. (Sony HD200) With Panasonic or similar HDD DVD recorder, am I able to record programs delivered by satellite? And (2)., am I able to record OTA signals delivered through the STB?

Finally, can I use the available program guide i.e. Panasonic?

I know I can't record HDTV, but can I record anything through the "D" STB?

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sheesh, guys. 75 "viewers" and not one answer to my questions?

1. Can I record over-the-air programs received through my atellite receiver?

2. Can I record programs delivered over Directv?

3. Would the VDV recorder's Program Guide work for over-the-air programs received via the Directv set top box brioadcast tuner?

Would really appreciate answers as I ponder my DVD recorder purchase next day or so.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
You can record everything (all OTA and satellite channels) from your Directv stb including HD channels/programs via the s-video and analog audio inputs/outputs. The HD programming will be down converted to 480i but will still have a very good picture almost as good as purchased DVDs. I'm not sure what you are asking regarding the guide - do you want the DVD recorder to control the Directv stb?. Ideally you would want to use the directv guide and have the stb control your DVD recorder. I'm not sure which (if any) directv/DVD recorder combos support that. This issue has been discussed several times before so you might want to the search function. I don't have this issue because all my directv stbs are Tivos. I just manually copy from the Tivo to the DVD recorder when needed. Good luck.

Jay

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jay. Having just purchased the HDTV hardware, I'm not in position to fork out a grand for the HDTV-TIVO. I need to convert VHS tapes to DVD, and desired the Directv recording as a welcome bonus., and a "poor man's TIVO". But I was getting the picture here that a unit like the Panasonic 80 or 85 woukld not record any signals from the satellite. Your news is great for me. You are right, I would want to use the "D" STB program guide to control the DVD recorder if possible. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.