Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frustrated? Who me?

I watched a movie last night called "Claim". I enjoyed the movie - great transfer for a rather bleak setting.

Three problems with my setup became evident to me. They might not bother others, but being a bit of a fanatic they sure bug me.

No. 1 - Yahoo mentioned this problem in DaveT's thread - sometimes when the LT150 is fired up the image is dominated by one colour. Well it happened to me last night and an email friend has reported the same thing. I had to turn the projector off and restart it! It restarted fine! I tried it again this morning and this time blue (last night it was yellow) dominated and I saw a massive pixel grid - turned it off and back on and everything was fine. Maybe this problem doesn't show its ugly head until you have in excess of 100 hours on the lamp. I guess a call to NEC is in order.

No. 2 - Both myself and my digital camera have noticed the same problem with the image when using my HTPC with Radeon video card - dark objects sometimes appear a bit blotchy. If it wasn't for some pics I took I would think it was all in my head! When I use a proscan DVD player no such problem and my camera can't "see" the problem either. When I use the DVD player I still see a pixel grid on some scene changes. Is this a deinterlacing problem with the DVD player? I can't win!

No. 3 - The problem with "Claim" is that there isn't one! What I mean is that there is little or no blurriness on this transfer that I have been noticing with quite a few recent DVD releases. Really makes me question the quality of the DVDs we're being fed.

When I rewatched some scenes from "Claim" this morning with my Proscan DVD player (Panasonic RP91) I noticed it wasn't "doing" the different aspect ratios correctly, but I started the movie anyway. Well guess what? I didn't have it in progressive mode and I was unintentionally feeding the LT150 an interlaced component signal! The image was really good! Not far off the progressive signal from the RP91. My apologies to NEC for bashing the LT150s line doubling capability. I'll have to have another look at s-video. I don't think it's nearly as good.

Yahoo, if you're out there - did you talk to NEC about the "problem"? Also a couple of questions about the RP91.

How do you engage the subwoofer for DVD-A?

Does the RP91 "do" non-anamorphic DVDs better, and if so, how?

So let's face it - HT is really fun? All we have to deal with are: stuck pixels; rainbow; equipment that won't sync; banding; tearing; blurring; blotchiness; combing; chroma problems; having to restart your projector to get an acceptable image, seizing, freezing, etc. etc. I sometimes feel like a contestant on the game show - the colour wheel of fortune. You win if you leave with your sanity!

I guess I won't be able to afford any more HT toys once my psychiatrist's bills start to arrive.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I inadvertently left a few out - how about convergence problems, streaking with LCD panels, screendoor; exploding bulbs; wavy screens; hot spots; and so on.

I expect that we'll soon hear that hi-gain screens cause blindness!

Where's my direct view T.V. and VCR when I need it?

Think about it. This hobby is ridiculous. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
High power screens?

. . . . great, ANOTHER thing that causes blindness . . . .

Kelly

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well, Kelly, I suppose one could use one's home theater to watch the Playboy Channel and kill 2 birds with 1 stone with respect to going blind, eh? :)

Or would that be 1 bird with 2 stones?

Sam

[This message has been edited by smchan (edited 07-14-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.