AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a Pearl done real comparisons with min. -vs- max. throw distance? My current room set up is ideal for max. throw, about 16.5' for my 92" screen. I have total light control so brightness is not a big issue, seem to flip between low and high bulb depending on the content. I am wondering if making a shorter throw would give me noticeable improvement in contrast. There will be some wife acceptance factor with bringing this thing into the center of the room and the ceiling is not an option at this time.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I have seen the Pearl at both min. and max. throw and I truly preferred it at max throw.

At minimum throw, you will have more brightness and less contrast. At max throw, you will have less brightness and more contrast. The aperture's impact upon contrast is greater than its impact upon brightness, so at max. throw, the real contrast gain will be greater than the real lumens loss.

When I first set up my projector, it was in a spare bedroom, mounted at minimum throw. Once my dedicated home theater was built, the natural location at which to mount the projector was nearer to max throw. I have a darkly colored dedicated home theater with total light control, so the loss in lumens at max. throw did not cause any problems. On the other hand, the increase in contrast was immediately noticed and appreciated.

Strangely, I also found that colors were more natural, and that my color uniformity issues practically vanished, when I mounted at max throw.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy /forum/post/0

The aperture's impact upon contrast is greater than its impact upon brightness, so at max. throw, the real contrast gain will be greater than the real lumens loss.

According to the measurements in Cine4Home's review , the loss in lumens is 17% at max throw (compared to min throw), and the gain in CR seems to vary depending on the iris setting. In one case using "Iris closed" (Manual mode at Min), the CR increased by 20% from 5000:1 to 6000:1. In another case using "Iris adaptive" (Auto1 mode), it increased by 51% from 10,600:1 to 16,000:1.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/0

According to the measurements in Cine4Home's review , the loss in lumens is 17% at max throw (compared to min throw), and the gain in CR seems to vary depending on the iris setting. In one case using "Iris closed" (Manual mode at Min), the CR increased by 20% from 5000:1 to 6000:1. In another case using "Iris adaptive" (Auto1 mode), it increased by 51% from 10,600:1 to 16,000:1.

Good point, Erik. I should have pointed out that my contrast and brightness comparisons were made using Auto1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.