AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My projection system is in our living (great) room. Current setup has the projector (1080p) in the middle of the room, 14 feet from the 120 inch diagonal screen. Works fine except the projector is in the middle of the room. 20 foot high vaulted ceiling prevents hanging it from the ceiling.

I moved the projector to the back wall which increases the throw distance to 26 feet. The picture fits on the 14 foot wide wall where my current screen is located. We will sit about 12 feet back from the screen. I'm willing to buy a new and larger screen.

Before I go down this road, what is the disadvantage of such a long throw distance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Having the projector further back in its zoom range will give better contrast, sharpness and screen uniformity but you trade off brightness. Depending on the projector and its lens some projectors lose 40% brightness from their closest position to it furthest. How much you lose will depend where you projector is placed within its zoom range. I like placing projectors further back if it is bright enough. The brightness difference will be more noticeable than the other attributes.

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Before I go down this road, what is the disadvantage of such a long throw distance?
>
If you're increasing the screen size from 10' to 16' diagonal (14' wide), and zooming out the lens at the same time, you may end up getting only 1/4 to 1/3 of the previous screen brightness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.