AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hopefully I'm not going off-topic... I have a long family room with a high vaulted ceiling - too high for a ceiling mount. I'm considering the Panny Ae700 because of it's lens shift, it's appropriateness for bookshelf mounting, and it's greater flexibility with throw distance, etc. But my question is like theinvid's: my throw distance is a hard 20'5". If I go with a 106" Graywolf (1.8 gain), the calculator says I have way "too much brightness." I have to lower the gain to .9 in order to bring things into range in the calculator. So, given I don't have total control over ambient light (it's a family room with windows on left and a big bay window behind the screen, so lot of light in the day, but pretty dark at night), I have questions that'll help me figure out what to do:

At 106" (92" wide) is the screen size too small, given seats will be about 15" from screen?

What does "too much brightness" mean? The picture will look washed out?

What kind of screen should I be looking at that has a .9 or .8 gain?

Should I abandon trying to do this at all? :(

Any suggestions, help, answers, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i've already made my 1st newbie mistake :)

i already ordered the sanyo z3 w/graywolf 1.8 106" screen

according to the calculator it's way too brite :(

am i screwed?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
To achieve a 106" diag. image with the Z3, you will need to have a throw distance between 10.7ft and 13.9ft. The Z3 is considered a short throw projector, meaning you can achieve a large image from a short distance. Also, I would use something between a 1.0-1.2 gain for the best all around image. If your trying to get a little better blacks, some people will go with a .8 gain screen. However, the Z3 has very good contrast reviews, so I would use a standard matte white 1.0 or a little higher gain screen. A lot depends on your environment and ambient lighting situations.

Can you return the screen? I would keep the Z3 though if you can....good luck figuring it all out.

Randy

Axiom Speakers M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S HDMI DVD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm

this is dissappointing news....

i ordered all this stuff today and everything has already shipped out (except for the z3)

do i refuse shipping on the screen?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Depending on where you bought the screen, you should be able to return it if your not satisfied within so many days. If you have some time I would wait until the Z3 arrives, fire it up and see what happens. I think the projector will have to be much closer than you originally planned to get the 106" image, but the Z3 is very flexible because of the lens shift and other options. You may find the graywolf gives it a lot of punch :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so u think i should give the screen a shot?

if i refuse shipping i'll be out 23 bux

if i accept it ...try it...return it....i'm out 46 bux

hmm

i'll try the screen if ppl think it might be ok

if u guys feel that it's just way too much gain and i need a different screen...say so and i'll refuse the shipping and order whatever u suggest

thnx

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If you haven't already, I would recommend going to this forum in the screens area...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=557382

It was started on behalf of the graywolf screen, read through it and maybe you'll find your answer. I'm sure if you post over on that thread and explain that you'll be using the Z3, someone will give you some good advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm a complete noob

this will be my first ever ht/fp setup

are there different filters available?

which one or ones should i get and where can i get them?

:)

i do appreciate your input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.