AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever injure themselves during a crucial phase of their HT building? I'd waited 4 to 6 months for this dealer to recieve my order of 18 movie poster size pockets. I went right down to get the box, it was long and fairly heavy it turned out. I not only lifted it but also had to raise it up to chest level to clear an obstacle on the way out the door resulting in throwing out my back! For two days my back's been wrenched out. I really wanted to do necessary cieling decorating on my HT. I'll be 51 in July and not sure if my back will heal up like when I was younger. To to it off, one of my knees has had arthritis or something for weeks. Maybe I'd wrenched it while in bed? Os

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Welcome to maturity, Os!

I myself keep Motrin at the ready and a massage therapist when the Motrin fails to work - mind you, my husband does most of the heavy lifting. He uses the Motrin/beer approach (no, not together!)

All of us over 40 feel your pain!

:D Pam

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the sympathy. I was in the middle of mounting wall sconces too....or however that should be phrased so it does'nt sound filthy. Os

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
LOL!!!!

Believe me, I wasn't thinking that way at all!!

Pam

Hmmm....wall sconces.....

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I haven't been able to mount anything against the wall in years. :(

Time planning for every project is a day to complete and 3 days to recover. On the other hand, if I didn't have this bad knee I might not have survived 1970.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah after last weekend myself (coming on 29) and my (dad going on 52) were pretty sad shape after pulling 3 12 hour days on his HT set up (pictures coming early May when I get the finaly shots with trim).

And all this a third the way through my build after I was taken out by a nasty flu and then injuring my wrists at work (no jokes please, I've heard them all now) ;).

Thankfully this long weekend I've made a lot of great progress though a slight kick when one of the sconces I bought and was installing today was broken when I took it out of the box. :( Oh well, it's coming along quickly, I am hoping (funding dependant) than I can be more or less done within another month to six weeks. I kind of need to be done by then because rebuilding the front fence and building a deck are calling.

Bah, never enough time and money to do what you want.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Getting old's a *****.

I've had a bad back for years - blown disk and all, surgery, 6 weeks on at home (during the OJ trial - almost blew my brains out).

I use a multi-level approach:

* I use a back brace when I know I'll be working or lifting.

* There are these nifty heat pads - Therepad, I think - last all day long and just stick them to the sore spot

* I got a prescription for some rather powerful drugs - found out that it was mostly tranquilizer - still hurts, but I don't care!

* And most importantly, now that I have a home theater, I can get people to lift for me - that's how I got the Berklines in the basement!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I had a family practice MD. Had 4 of them in 6 years, they always leave. Those doctors leave but dentists, feet docs, skin docs and eye docs stay. I always go to this Urgentcare place anyway. Os

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Keeping doctors anywhere seems to be a problem no doubt. I haven't had a family doctor since I moved to Calgary over 4 years ago. :\\

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as close to a massage therapist I can get is a little hand on a stick, a back scratcher. I may get those heat pads though. I'm determined to start making a ticket booth from a column I already started, it'll be a simpler kind: a column style made from corrug cardboard. Basically a jumbo diameter greek column that's got a window, etc. My girl 'usher' can stand inside it. Os

·
Registered
149 Posts
Take a look at the book "Working Alone: Tips & Techniques for Solo Building". Lots of tips for getting things done without injury.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.