AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the wood, working on the driver (ebay) now I request a amp reccomendation.

Plan is one THT for sure, with the possibility of 2 max.

Any rack mount amps, or any amp at that you guys know of that will drive one THT with the adability (is that a word?) to a aditional THT if onesself deems nessasary?

Wow butchered that.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
No need to spend big money on a big amp for 2 tht's. One ep1500 will power 4 tht's with no issues. So I'd shoot for one of those for $200 and call it good. You do realize you should not feed a tht more than 28v at 22hz or it coild possibly blow the driver. Plus at that amount of power you SHOULD already be over 120db with one THT. By the way 28v is 200 watts at 4ohms. So use this info and make your amp choice. If you want an ep4000 go for it but its an extra $150. If you need that much head room go for it man depends how much you have and want to spend!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the mono emotiva.

Wins in the beauty contest for sure. Dont know about the spec contest.

But hey them are I think $330 or so.

I'll see if I can pick one up on ebay, had no luck with a prior driver purchase. (Paid for it, three hours later money refund, no clue what thats about)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Get the EP4000.... you never know what you want to build in the future.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
A simple dayton 240w plate amp will be all the power you need, if you want to dual it up you can look into the A500 behringers also.

Also try and figure out what is the gainclone and what is my plate amp

·
Registered
669 Posts
I bought the O-Audio 500 watt bash Amp. If you are building two though I'd go with the EP1500. I believe if you go that route though there is an additional accesory that you have to buy, but can't remember what that is at the moment. Anyone???

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 /forum/post/18298429

I bought the O-Audio 500 watt bash Amp. If you are building two though I'd go with the EP1500. I believe if you go that route though there is an additional accesory that you have to buy, but can't remember what that is at the moment. Anyone???

There can be a couple, since there is no HP on it you will have to get a EQ like the BFD, also your sub out may not have the voltage so you would need a cleanbox.

The plate amp simplifies this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So plate amp, with 240w plus?

Someone mentioned te dayton amp, which I do believe is in stock.

Gonna have to check that one.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/18297434

Get the EP4000.... you never know what you want to build in the future.

+1

Plate amps are so limiting in what you can do down the road.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/18300312

yes the 240w plate amp from PE is an excellent application for the THT
http://stgdz.shackspace.com/Shack/ho...firstsweep.png

Yeah thinking about going that route. Ya know for time being.

Maybe once I figure out all the extras that go with something like the ep1500/4000, I'll go that route, I can always build something else to go upstairs and use the plate amp there.

Just dont think I have the patience, nor the disposible funds to get amp, Eq, cleanbox, filters, and of course the dozen plus cables to make it all work.

I will run some 12 gauge wires for future proofing though, just in case.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by putputpanorama /forum/post/18300430

Maybe once I figure out all the extras that go with something like the ep1500/4000, I'll go that route, I can always build something else to go upstairs and use the plate amp there.

Just dont think I have the patience, nor the disposible funds to get amp, Eq, cleanbox, filters, and of course the dozen plus cables to make it all work.

I will run some 12 gauge wires for future proofing though, just in case.

you will be more then happy with the plate amp + THT combo, as my graphs show this combo can hit 120db and thats setting the gain dial at about 3/8 it hit about 30V with this when doing sweeps. Just set the plate crossover frequency to 80hz.

It shakes my entire house and pressurizes the room, trust me you will be happy.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by putputpanorama /forum/post/18300430

I was in the same boat just a few short years ago and did not want to let go of the plate amp concept.

But, it is really not all that difficult. There are cables all over ebay for under $10 that go from RCA to XLR or 1/4" or adapters for $5.

9 out of 10 times there is no intermediary device.

I understand where you are coming from and not knocking you. But, I will tell you that once you get 'the bug' then you will want to tackle other projects and having flexible amplification pays many dividends.

There are reasons that pro amps are used so frequently...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts