AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to its large size, placement flexibility is obviously very limited with a THT in most theater setups. Even though I have a really big theater room at 20' X 30' X 16'H I am still fairly limited in where I could put one if I decided to go ahead and build.

My question is, how critical is placement in terms of sound quality? The only corner that I could place this beast in is about 25 feet away from the main listening area so I assume that would be a no-no. If not there, it would have to go along the wall opposite the projector screen and off to the side of the back row of seating.

I was hoping to be able to fit one under my landing coming in from the main house but that are is only about 27" X 34" X 32" so that won't go.

Another option would be to actually place it on the other side of my new wall and cut a hole to shoot through. Is that a good option or does much of the sound emanate from the box itself and not just the port?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
You won't know until you have some form of sub to try out.

Each room is different and has its own challenges.

The distance is not important, the freq response at the listening position is.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I test some different positions with my little 8" Energy sub before building? Is there any way to estimate frequency response based on room dimensions?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Kidd,

You can try the Energy in different locations, but the THT will give you a "different" performance than your Energy in your room. It will give you an idea though. As for the 25' away, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Can you take some pics, or do a rough sketch draw-up of your room so we can get a better idea of what you are up against?

dbl

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare /forum/post/18172705

Kidd,

You can try the Energy in different locations, but the THT will give you a "different" performance than your Energy in your room. It will give you an idea though. As for the 25' away, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Can you take some pics, or do a rough sketch draw-up of your room so we can get a better idea of what you are up against?

dbl

The room is too big to get a complete picture of but I will try to post a couple here once I figure out how. If anybody can give me a quick lowdown on how to do a sketch using my keyboard I could do that real quick. When I tried it last time it all changed once I posted it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Maybe just something crude using Windows paint?

dbl

·
Registered
901 Posts
crayon/napkin and a scanner.......

I'd just build them and worry about the details later

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
+1

Corner loading is preferred, but not needed.

dbl

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is my sweet sketch!

[/IMG]

Early construction

[/IMG]

Some nearly finished pics here, pretty much all I need to do now is paint/decorate

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here are some better pics of the room. The two spots that seem the best for the sub would be between the seats and table or in the far corner where the neon light/computer desk is sitting.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Youve got plenty of room to play with. It may not seem so right now but you can make a tht or 2 work somewhere. There another forum member here who put his in another room and cut trough the wall to let the mouth face into the theater room. He liked his results i think, hes since disappeared and we havent heard from him lol. Thats always an option. Its reccomended to corner load since the gain is so impressive. Im corner loading mine about 16' or more away from my LP and im still getting over reference level output at my LP. Id corner load it or face the walls that you said were cinder block. My walls are drywall over cement and i beleive thats why im getting such favorable results and additional extension. Dont be scared man a few people have made all the same threads you have trying to talk themselves out of it and it doesnt work lol. Just do it worry about placement later. Youll be surprised what you can get to work. But for your room id definitely go dual THT's if the budget is there. Seriously both THT's flanking the rear seats with the mouths facing that cinder block wall should be great. DO IT DONT BE SCARED!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickel /forum/post/18173168

What is that to the left of the last seat, a jukebox?

It is a vending machine that holds about 60 beers!

To answer the earlier question, no I cannot put a front speaker on top of a THT since the fronts are big towers and the center is too low not to mention located directly above all of my AV equip.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Do you have a pic of the screen from your LP? And what is that thing that looks like a crane, is it a speaker on a long extension?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickel /forum/post/18173357

Do you have a pic of the screen from your LP? And what is that thing that looks like a crane, is it a speaker on a long extension?

No pic of the screen aside from a close up that wouldn't show anything of note. I will try to take one when I get home today.

The thing that looks like a crane is gone, it was my old projector mount. It used to be part of a golf simulator that I sold a while back.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Killer room dude;;;

Not to sound out of my mind or anything............

Since you've got so much height, can you corner mount it at your celing?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Youv'e got more room than most to work with. One thing is for certain, corner loaded or not, it will likely have a tad more output than your 8" Energy sub. But I am no expert, so....

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on perspective, you really need to build one or two and experiment with placement.

That is a big space and placement can make a huge difference. With that much cubic footage, I would definitely go with two if palatable.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Your 8" would sound like a tweeter in that room

dbl

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just posted some better pics of the room.

I spoke with the local HT professional who originally recommended the Velodyne subs and asked him if a THT style sub might be a reasonable substitute for the setup he recommended.

He said he hadn't heard of a THT so I emailed him a link to the site with the plans. I then asked if he would be able to help find a good location for the THT and then do a final system calibration for me. He responded that a homemade THT style sub was not a good idea in "any kinda way" and that he had already recommended the best solution for my room. He said I should contact the guy offering the $14.95 plans and ask him for advice on where to put the THT.

He then went on to say that his services were very expensive and it would not be in his best business interest to offer me any more "free advice". I don't know why he thought I expected his services to be free but needless to say I was shocked at his response

His brochure that came in my mailbox said that one of the services he offered was calibration and optimization of existing HT equipment which is exactly what I was wanting to purchase. This really blew me away because he really seemed like a knowledgeable and professional businessman and an all around good guy, oh well.

Anyway, I guess I am on my own unless I am willing to spend $1,500 to $2,000 for the recommended equipment unless somebody here can recommend another HT professional in the Fort Myers, FL area that offers calibration and consultation services. I will happily pay whatever it costs to maximize the equipment in which I have already invested.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts