AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start building my THT tonight and was reading through a bunch of THT threads here. It seems like nearly every one of them have encountered many problems weather it be with panels not lining up, funny sounds eminating from the cabinet, drivers blowing or just general dissatisfaction with output and sound quality. Hopefully this is the exception and not the rule.

Can anybody point me to a thread where the project went smoothly from start to finish and the builder was happy with the finished product and its sound quality? I would like to start off with some happy thoughts and some good mojo

I am a fairly skilled carpenter we will have access to two professional cabinetry shops and their owners who are true craftsmen so I am not concerned with that part (even though I have to say, those plans could confuse just about anybody
)

My concern falls in putting the rubber to the road if you will, connecting, placing, tuning and properly integrating this sub correctly.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I told those guys who whined for NO REASON AT ALL that this would happen. You obviously didn't read to far to see the resolved the issue with proper calibration. Mine went smooth with 100% satisfactory! Look for mynym write and maxmercy. Search for thread started by those usernames and ull find them. No worries man relax!

·
Registered
295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18198171

Can anybody point me to a thread where the project went smoothly from start to finish and the builder was happy with the finished product and its sound quality?

In the overwhelming majority of the THT threads I've read which, between here & the BFM forum, must total about 20 or so (!) the builders seem quite happy with the final result and are often 'blown away' by the results. In a number of the builds, there are errors made along the way, which given the range of experience and skills involved, is understandable. None of these issues, however, seemed beyond repair by the builder and with some guidance and tips from others, were remedied.

A more common problem appears to be configuring the THT into the home setup properly (using mics, soundcards, REW, BFDs, pcs, Audessey, etc.).

Again, the range of people's experience in doing this will yield differing results. Some have simply hooked up the THT, loved the sound, and that was that.

I encourage you to take the leap of faith. Other's experiences here have done nothing but encourage me to take the THT plunge. For minimal $$ investment & all the good audio stuff I've learned so far, I figured that just the experience of building alone was worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Just do it!

If you have woodworking skills you will have an easy time of it.

As I stated in other threads, it is not overly difficult in any way.

You just need to pay attention to what you are doing and things will be fine.

The beauty of it is that one of the worst scenarios is that you would ruin a ~$30 sheet of plywood, big deal.

Once you start the build it is fairly obvious as to how the panels are to be placed and line up. There are pleny of threads documenting each part of the process.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The completed project works fine, I had to re-do one of my side panels because I cut the access panel incorrectly. Some of the stuff isn't crystal clear in the directions but ask in your build thread and people will answer.

I will say my 1/2 arauco warped like no other though, I am so glad I had 36" clamps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I have seen a few different sets of build sheets and plans, none for speakers though, these are different than I am used to. Generally they start with a materials list and include specific cut sheets followed by an assembly mock up of sorts.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wasn't initially blown away and needed to make some adjustments to settings and room arrangement. My enclosure was off as well but, that was all me. And I easily fixed the problem with another sheet of plywood. If you read the entire thread of folks that had issues, everyone has fixed the problem to satisfaction.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/18198562

my 1/2" birch had some warping too. it becomes much more apparent with 32" panels =]
http://stgdz.shackspace.com/Shack/ho...uba/1stday.jpg

That was my first day and the top part of the inside box warped. Clamps pulled it in when I started to complete the loop but I also had my very top of the box pull this on me but it warped inward. So when I first mocked it up the the corner had about a 2 inch gap in it when the opposite side would be touching the warped section of aracuo. I used the 36" in clamps to pull everything together but when you put that amount of compression on a very small surface relative to the length you better get it mounted against one more surface.

Well this took a couple of times because the arauco would tip and then fall off. I eventually got it but it wasn't fun. While I am complaing, the braces are not fun to put in.

But the finished product is well worth it for the laughs and giggles of people that I invite over.

·
Registered
901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18198171

I am going to start building my THT tonight and was reading through a bunch of THT threads here. It seems like nearly every one of them have encountered many problems weather it be with panels not lining up, funny sounds eminating from the cabinet, drivers blowing or just general dissatisfaction with output and sound quality. Hopefully this is the exception and not the rule.

Can anybody point me to a thread where the project went smoothly from start to finish and the builder was happy with the finished product and its sound quality? I would like to start off with some happy thoughts and some good mojo

I am a fairly skilled carpenter we will have access to two professional cabinetry shops and their owners who are true craftsmen so I am not concerned with that part (even though I have to say, those plans could confuse just about anybody
)

My concern falls in putting the rubber to the road if you will, connecting, placing, tuning and properly integrating this sub correctly.

Look at my dual build. Mine went smoothly. Couldn't be happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts