AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Thumperised UP1100 hooked up to my new ISCO and mounted the whole lot shooting through a window I built in the living room wall. Wow! I got fed up waiting for a Panamorph so thanks the Alan Gouger I plumped for the ISCO instead. On a 92inch 16x9 Greyhawk it is just stunning. I still have a slight pincushion effect with the lens but it is hardly noticed when watching a film. I would really recommend anyone with a UP1100 both the Thumper mod and the ISCO lens.

There is a slight lack of brightness at that size but it is more than acceptable in blackout conditions.

For all UK forum members I have to say buying most of the stuff from AVS was a pleasure and not hard at all. The UP1100 was bought on e-bay and even after all taxes the projector, mod, lens and screen came in under £4500. I haven't seen anything at the price to match it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I also got fed up waiting for the Panamorph and ordered an ISCO II from AVS. The Panamorph enthusiasm and then the delays must have boosted ISCO sales. Someday my Panamorph will arrive (I hope) and then it will be shootout time!

Take a look at the Superbit version of The Fifth Element - wow!

Here's hoping Thumper remembers us LT150 owners. I'd be happy to let one of mine be a guinea pig. ;)

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well SofaCinema, I'm still out there "thumping" along.

Grant, I get a lot of mail but haven't picked up any e-mails from you lately. Try: [email protected] (yea I know, it was the wife's idea) :rolleyes:

Anyway, ol' Thump's plate is really really full right now; the LT150 chip mask progess continues as well as work on a couple of other interesting projects long term projects (one hint: UP-1100/DX-1/LT-100 owners might want to hang on to their old lamp housings for awhile).

In addition to all this I'm putting the finishing touches on my Church's $90k sound & electronic organ reinforcement systems (yep, I do medium-to-large venue PA/reinforcement just for S & Gs) :p

Dannydlp, thanks for the kind words. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy the show!

Thump

·
Registered
28 Posts
hello thumper

i often read how good your mods are, but have no idea, what you modifiy...

i own a plus u2 1130 driven by a radeon htpc with isco2 and would like to know your opinion about this pj and if there's a notorious thumper mod for this one too. if you have experience with this pj, it would be very nice, if you could tell me the best settings for it. especially for the white (normal or quiet) and for the colors (normal, natural 1 or natural 2)

thank you very much in advance

christoph

·
Registered
730 Posts
I second Christoph's request. I also own a Plus U2-1130 and am ready to take the plunge into a Thumper modification (warranty be darned). Does this model fit into your mod qualifications?

- Allen B.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by christoph

i often read how good your mods are, but have no idea, what you modifiy...
christoph,

I had my NEC LT84 "thumperized" some time back and I posted the results in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008914.html . This unit is a close cousin of your Plus and it's mods could apply but I'll let Thumper answer. As I said back then, highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Christoph & BarkingArt,

Yes the U2-1130 mods are available. The results are very close to those rendered by the NEC LT-84.

In terms of pre-mod settings, IMHO the best available are quiet mode + normal gamma. This tames the "crawlies" and gives the best stock color rendition/gamma ramp but it comes at the awful expense of about 50% of the engine's available contrast ratio. After modding, the same settings are normally used but without any of the contrast sacrifice (actually contrast is quite a bit better than a stock unit in any mode).

All the physical mods are available: clear block, DMD halo mask, chamber blackout and partial sealing of the chamber. Gamma mods are not available.

Thump

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thumper
one hint: UP-1100/DX-1/LT-100 owners might want to hang on to their old lamp housings for awhile
Bah, you tease you! :D

Nigel

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thumper,

Have you ever tried to mod a D-ILA? I wonder if something might be done with the polarizing filters to increase contrast...

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.