AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
505 Posts
I have been using a Da-lite Hi-power 2.8 in 104 x 58 and have been very happy.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

· Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quick question: what screens are you folks using?

I'm looking at buying either the Da-Lite CinemaVision (1.3 gain) or the Perlescent (2.0 gain) screens to replace my 1.0ish gain blackout screen. If anyone is running with a Thumperized unit and the Perlescent I'd really like their comments.

Evidently I forgot to reset my unit back to quiet whites after using the projector for powerpoint and my eyes have gotten used to the brightness of the normal mode. Viewing the Tuhumperized on my homemade screen is distracting except when there is no ambient light to contend with. Unfortunately I'll have to deal with moderate ambient for entertaining.

This is a mod worth doing...if you have a Plus get on his list to have this done. Thumper has been great!

I'll post a more detailed review after I get the unit tweaked again this weekend. Black level is good, halo is effectively gone, colors are better and except for a minor problem being corrected the unit is quite a bit improved.

I just need to get the brightness back up a notch by getting a better screen.

Thanks!

Nigel

PS Figuring 45" x80" screen...possibly a 52"x92" depending on budget. Oh and JXO you have private email.

· Registered
817 Posts
I am running a Thumperized 1100 with htpc and a DaLite High Power (16x9 format/119" diag). Am very pleased. The Greyhawk may further improve blacks but brightness and color impact will suffer. I saw the Greyhawk at CES and felt it lost some of the punch that the HP screen imparts. The ideal solution would be a single screen case with both the high power and grayhawk screens.

------------------

Regards,

Jim

· Registered
2,814 Posts
I've just got my Thumpered UP1100 and have a Da-Lite High Power 60 x 80.

I'm still tweaking but feel at the moment that the High Power material produces worse blacks, in comparison to the wall I was projecting againstr before.

Anyone else notice this?

Steve

· Registered
6,092 Posts
80*60 is about 30 square feet.

Assuming your projector is a realistic 500 lumens (the stock projector is NOT 1000) and the high power is actually about 2.5 in gain. Your image should be about as bright as the following:

500/30*2.5 = 41.667 Ft-L.

I personally prefer to be in the 20 - 30 Ft-Lambert area, but you're not way too bright.

I would use an ultramat 150 (which is actually about 1.4) or da-lite pearlescent screen (which is actually more like 1.5) instead of the high power. This will but you about 25 ft-L. If you have a dark theater room than this is probably a better intensity.

However, if your in a brightly lit room, stick with the high power.

My suggestions at least.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

· Registered
2,295 Posts
Just a note on the pearlescent - I had one of those with my old CRT projector (needed the gain for the size screen I wanted). I did not at all like the "sparklies" it created. Not bad at all during most viewing, but if you got a scene with real bright white light like a sunlight picture, it was noticable.

Make sure you can see one before you buy, IMO.

(I made my own screen with my DLP and like it better, though admittedly the gain is not there).

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

· Registered
4,321 Posts
I'm using the Da-Lite Da-Mat gray screen with InFocus LP350. Can't comment on comparisons, as I've never used this projector with anything else.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using my Thumper 1100 with a Dalite 1.3 CinemaVision. Can't say about the others, but I am getting GREAT blacks. No need to go to the GrayHawk and wash out the whites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.