AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my "Thumperized" UP-1100 and hooked it up to my HTPC. WOW! I am very impressed. Color saturation is great and correct (no green hue). Blacks are really black. Of course no screen door. And although I have seen the rainbow effect on other projectors, I haven't seen it yet on the Thumper UP-1100. I'll update more as I have additional testing time.

Total cost of the projector: $2370 with Thumpers mods. I paid $1710 for the 1100 with 319 hours and $550 to Thumper. Have seen others (Plus UP-1100 NEC lt100 and Proxima DX1) on ebay go for as little as $1300.

I decided to do this as a stop-gap awaiting the Sony 11HT or the Sanyo PLV-60. But I may have just saved myself $3000 to $4000. I think I may just wait another year or two for the next generation of projector.

I'd highly recommend this route to anyone considering it.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Oscar,

You are correct: in the end, it is all about buying time.

I have yet to see ANY projector that combines the picture quality of a good CRT with the utility and easy of use of a digital projector.

And while the 11HT and PLV60 will be great units, the $6K or more that these units will cost will be better spent down the road.

<$2500 for a Thumper UP-1100 is great way for someone to tide himself over.

Be forewarned however, make sure you can get appointment with the Thumper that suits your schedule before going down this path. He is well aware of what happened to Richard Martin and he doesn't want to get burned out with too heavy of a work load.

Have fun and enjoy the image.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oscar,

Welcome to the growing UP1100(T) "family". Enjoy the show!

Thumper

P.S. I have recently started a poll of the owners of the many projectors modified to date in an attempt to quantify changes/reductions in the "rainbow" effect that you mentioned and have received numerous reports on this topic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Greetings Thumper,

Does the "Thumperize" process cover any XGA projectors?

The NEX LT-150 seems to have dropped in price lately, and I am considering getting it. But I would love to have it tuned up into a HT projector instead of optimized for Powerpoint presentations.

Thanks in advance!

---Ben

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Would a Thumperized 1100 (or any Th..DLP 1024x768) do well with a 1.3 gain 107x60 screen?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
350 Posts
Currently considering purchasing an Infocus LP350.

Will a Thumpered UP-1100 paired with a progressive scan DVD player deliver same or better picture than the LP350?

Is there a native mode of sort with the UP-1100 that allows one to view 4:3 windows in the center of a 16:9 screen?

Have no plans of using HTPC.

Thanks.

------------------

Walter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.