AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice Dennis.. You just reminded me to go out back and hang myself. After looking at that theater.. I want to go downstairs and start over.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Very nice. Congrats. Although, it probably wasn't much of a surprise that it would pass, was it?

I know you've built a lot of great theaters, and I can't imagine you put them all through the trials of THX certification. I also have to believe there are some quantifiable differences between a THX and a non-THX room, but I am sure those differences come at a price. Practically speaking, how much better is a room you prepare for THX certification as opposed to the high (personal?) standards you meet for your own non-THX rooms? Or am I naive to think there are differences in the specifications you would use for a THX versus a non-THX room, and the only difference is the testing?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry ... I'm too tired at the moment to dive into your questions (all of them good). From this home owner's perspective, THX was an independent third party who could validate if he spent his money wisely or if he had another pile of equipment in a pretty room that didn't perform up to the smoke, mirrors, and BS of an equipment sales person.

In general terms, this room uses a Runco VX22D, Meridian 861 processor, QSC Amps for the non-active speakers, two QSC DSP322UA, three Procella P815s, two Procella P18 Subs, three Procella P10 subs, six Procella P8s for the surrounds, a 12' Stewart Cinecurve StudioTek 130 AT screen, and six Premiere HTS seats.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Besides, I am sure the THX certification will really boost the home's resale price down the road

My room got the only certification it had to have...the WAF certification

Dennis--in all seriousness, that job is just amazing.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Congrats, Dennis. It is really a masterpiece. The theater would be the "piece", leaving you the "master."

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
It is a truly amazing theatre - the best I've seen to date in my opinion (well my favourite that Dennis has completed....which means the best
) I'm a total sucker for timber coffers, let alone ones of that magnitude

When do we get to see some more pics Dennis? you're killing us here

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We do not have pictures back from the photographer yet. When we do, I'll put up a photo.

Quote:
I know you've built a lot of great theaters, and I can't imagine you put them all through the trials of THX certification. I also have to believe there are some quantifiable differences between a THX and a non-THX room, but I am sure those differences come at a price. Practically speaking, how much better is a room you prepare for THX certification as opposed to the high (personal?) standards you meet for your own non-THX rooms? Or am I naive to think there are differences in the specifications you would use for a THX versus a non-THX room, and the only difference is the testing?

This is a tough question to answer. In a THX certified room, THX engineers and designers are involved at every step in the design and equipment specification process. There's a great dialog and exchange (two-way) of approaches, options and the like. I am sure there are a number of rooms we've done in the past which would pass and some which would not.

THX has an objective set of criteria and metrics which all screening rooms must meet at a minimum. In general, our rooms which would not pass this bar, are based upon decisions or constraints imposed by the client. For example, client owns or really, really, really wants projector "x" from company "a" ... while a good projector, it will not pass THX metrics and hence would disqualify the room. Or, client wants to use "B" speakers or "C" speakers, neither of which will provide reference levels (high frequencies) at the seating distances in the room ... that's a non-starter. Or, for budgetary purposes, the client doesn't wish to use certain acoustic products the absence of which will still provide an excellent sounding room but would result in the room falling below the metrics for THX. THX does not dictate the products to be used ... they will however eliminate certain products during the design process if those products would prevent meeting the goals.

These objective metrics, btw, do not consider asthetics ... a black box man-cave could pass. We would not take on a THX project unless we are doing the construction or managing that construction on a weekly or bi-weekly basis (no DIY here). The issue is not "dealer greed"; but, that a small oversight during construction could result in a disqualifying problem downstream. If the objective is THX certification (or THX certification to audit the claims of the dealer/builder/installer), then the homeowner has too much at stake to have something like this defeat the end result.

[Sorry, it took so long to get back to the questions ... I drove my car to the job site and had an accident just before heading home ... no injuries ... but dealing with body shops, towing, insurance and the like 800 miles from home is a logistical nightmare. Fortunately, I have a client in Virginia that owns the best body shop I've ever dealt with and his assistance throughout this process has been a real blessing.]

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill /forum/post/18316927

It is a truly amazing theatre - the best I've seen to date in my opinion (well my favourite that Dennis has completed....which means the best
) I'm a total sucker for timber coffers, let alone ones of that magnitude

When do we get to see some more pics Dennis? you're killing us here

Looks awesome. I love that carpet. It makes the room

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
W o w

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Dennis, that room looks gorgeous, congratulations...from the position of the Crestron TPMC 6 am I correct in my assumption/understanding that the money seats are the second row of seats as they appear to be the only position from which the remore can be reached...

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/18419932

Picture ... (screen masking closed).

Wow looks awesome! I'd love to experience a DE theater in real life. Maybe theater 2.0!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with Goodcat that the carpet fits the room perfect. What brand/style is it? I'd be interested in seeing what other colors it comes in.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joel:

The sound experience (by measurement) from all the seats is very similar (not an audible difference). That remote is wireless and the docking station could have been put anywhere. In use, it is undocked and available to any seat in the house.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/18421634

Joel:

The sound experience (by measurement) from all the seats is very similar (not an audible difference). That remote is wireless and the docking station could have been put anywhere. In use, it is undocked and available to any seat in the house.

Thanks...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts