AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2215 Posts

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know other Panny threads have already discussed this matter significantly but it still appears it's unclear whether a software update will be available for current owners of G10s and V10s and whether current G10s and V10s being sold already have the fix loaded onto them (if it's not hardware related). As far as I know there is only one V10 with the fix that has been ISF calibrated and confirmed that such a fix is very real.

Please post any developments regarding the THX fix here. I think this matter is significant enough to warrant its own thread.

UPDATE 3/4/10:

The following information is based on this post.

Which G10s and V10s should come with the THX update from the factory?

G10s and V10s that have build dates after July and that came with firmware version 1.24 should have had the updated THX mode. Some owners with post July builds claim they might still have the issue. However, a green color cast that is present in all pic modes and not just THX is a plus-green color temperature/grayscale. The only way to fix that would be a grayscale calibration, either DIY or professional.

What can a G10 or V10 owner do if they don't have the THX update from the factory?

There is a "1/20" fix on the techtraining.panasonic.com website in the list of firmware downloads at the end of January. Caution should be used when applying the fix as it requires service menu access and changing the boot setting to SD. Losing power during the update could brick the TV and it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

There are no indications at this time of the update being released onto Viera Cast. As such, the preferred option for getting this update would be to contact Panasonic Tech Support and schedule a tech to come out to install the FW on your TV.

What exactly does the THX update do?

The THX update affects two areas of color accuracy when using the THX mode on a G10 or V10: color decoding and gamut. Color decoding in this case refers to the brightness of all the primaries and secondaries relative to white. Before the fix, color luminance was very uneven with red luminance having a very high negative error and magenta also having a pretty high negative error. As far as gamut is concerned, the magenta secondary was pulled towards the blue primary greatly. This means magenta would appear much too blue when compared to a reference display.

After the fix, the gamut is essentially perfect and the color decoding is excellent except for a little blue push (blue luminance about 15% too high).

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just hope that they are planning on releasing this update in the U.S. I don't mind how dim THX is, the green/yellow antique look is what really bugs me.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVersatile /forum/post/17325755

I just hope that they are planning on releasing this update in the U.S. I don't mind how dim THX is, the green/yellow antique look is what really bugs me.

+1

I hope it does make it to the U.S. and that the G10/G15 are included, not just the V10. Color accuracy was my main gripe with the '09 models. Aside from the color banding (and the G10's 48 Hz flicker), this would make the G10 and V10 models near perfect.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
So, is the firmware update for the THX issue available for the G10? I just got my G10 last Friday and it doesn't appear to the firmware fix for the THX issue. I'd really like to be able to use it but I can't get past the antique look.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabrown /forum/post/17326367

Didn't Chad B address this issue here in his edit at the bottom?

Link

The problem is that is only one sample and that it may only apply to the V10, even particular screen sizes. There is simply not enough information available at this time beyond the link you provided.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/17325550

I know other Panny threads have already discussed this matter significantly but it still appears it's unclear whether a software update will be available for current owners of G10s and V10s and whether current G10s and V10s being sold already have the fix loaded onto them (if it's not hardware related). As far as I know there is only one V10 with the fix that has been ISF calibrated and confirmed that such a fix is very real.

Please post any developments regarding the THX fix here. I think this matter is significant enough to warrant its own thread.

I think it's luck of the draw to get one that was manufactured "late" enough to have the fix...I just bought my 54G10 2 weeks ago, with a manufacture date of May 2009. Hopefully they release the patch at some point for all of us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been a long time observer on this forum but felt as though I should speak on this issue. Like some of you had done, I emailed panasonic regarding the thx fix. They issued a similar reply, basically indicating that they do have an update but that it is only available in Europe. Also, they stated that they were uncertain if it would be released in the US. I sent an email back expressing my displeasure as a loyal panasonic customer. I strongly encourage you all to write and call so that we can push to get this update here in the US. I just don't think it's right that they have recognized that there is an issue that they are willing to address in Europe but not in the US!

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVersatile /forum/post/17325755

Even it looked weird to me. I don't know if it is just me . But THX image quality has gotten better and better for me. I don't see those tints anymore. In a slightly darker room it will be even more better. But honestly it is a matter of getting used to particular settings.

I have to agree. THX quality got better actually.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfotorn1 /forum/post/17329050

Hey guys,

I've been a long time observer on this forum but felt as though I should speak on this issue. Like some of you had done, I emailed panasonic regarding the thx fix. They issued a similar reply, basically indicating that they do have an update but that it is only available in Europe. Also, they stated that they were uncertain if it would be released in the US. I sent an email back expressing my displeasure as a loyal panasonic customer. I strongly encourage you all to write and call so that we can push to get this update here in the US. I just don't think it's right that they have recognized that there is an issue that they are willing to address in Europe but not in the US!

I sent them a email myself yesterday asking about the fix and how it would be implemented if it indeed is being implemented in the U.S. I mentioned the G10/G15 and the V10 and the current yellowish-greenish cast in THX mode of those models.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarthik /forum/post/17329669

Even it looked weird to me. I don't know if it is just me . But THX image quality has gotten better and better for me. I don't see those tints anymore. In a slightly darker room it will be even more better. But honestly it is a matter of getting used to particular settings.

Your eyes get accustomed to the yellowish/green look. Try switching from THX to Costom mode while looking at flesh tones, you will notice the yellowish cast right away.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/17330970

I sent them a email myself yesterday asking about the fix and how it would be implemented if it indeed is being implemented in the U.S. I mentioned the G10/G15 and the V10 and the current yellowish-greenish cast in THX mode of those models.

Please let us know what their reply is. I think i was the first person to ever e-mail them about this issue.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVersatile /forum/post/17330983

Please let us know what their reply is. I think i was the first person to ever e-mail them about this issue.

I will as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I decided to PM D-Nice to ask if he had encountered any updated G10s/V10s and he did confirm it. He also mentioned that any set manufactured within the last two months is likely to have the fix. So, while it's still unclear whether an update will be released for current owners of these sets, it's very likely any model made in the last two months has the fix on it.

I still haven't heard from Panasonic yet.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVersatile /forum/post/17342204

Lucky you. What firmware version is currently installed on your set?

I forget, I posted it in the big G10 thread. Maybe I do have the yellow push and I'm not noticing, I've been using a small LCD that's not very accurate at all for the last month

·
Registered
430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis /forum/post/17342424

I took delivery of a 50G10 today, manufactured in September 2009. Version info says "0140-2010

i believe that means....

Tuner Firmware Version 1.24

EEPROM Firmware Version 1.00

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
To see the current version information, select ABOUT from the SETUP menu. On my set the 'Version' is 0190-0310.

To get the TV version from this, read every other number from left to right starting from the second digit. Ignore the dash. On my set, it would be 103 or version 1.03.

To get the software version do the same from right to left. On my set it would be 109 or version 1.09.

I think you have that backwards, speck.

EDIT: Speck was right and I was wrong. Ignore this post.

Larry

1 - 20 of 2215 Posts