AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i downloaded, yes, downloaded so don't bother yelling at me since i don't care...a THX Demo DVD...now i can run it in either Dolby Digital, or DTS...i'm guessing they are both about the same? it seems DTS sounds a little better, clearer, and brighter, but DD sounds great too. are most movies made with both on them now? also, if you can find dvd, i highly recommend it...wow. it really shows you what your equipment can do!!! just wondered if there were any thoughts,....other than shame shame for downloading etc....get over it...the horse is outta the gate on that one...no going back now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Pure-Evil.... I found a new ULTIMATE THX DEMO DISC (with the glasses) on E-Bay last year for about $60. I had the original THX WOW lazer disc from years ago which the ULTIMATE demo disc is the replacement for with the addition of the THX trailers.

It Includes:

INCLUDED:

- George Lucas: The power OF Movies, Podrace Sequence - star Wars: Episode 1

- Gary Rydstrom: The power OF Surround

- THX Surround ex audio demo

- Ultra 2 Featurette

- Gary lux: The power OF Music

- musical of SELECT ion in 5.1

- The THX Story featurette

- Wow! Monage

- Soundtrack! featurette

- 8 THX Trailers

Another good demo disc you can buy now is SURROUND 9, for about $15.00 on E-Bay and it has a lot of the new formats demostrated. it includes:

DESCRIPTION:

HERO / BLUE ROOM (dts)

HERO / ARROWS (dts)

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (dts)

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)

I, ROBOT (dts)

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW (dts)

KILL BILL VOLUME 1 (dts)

KILL BILL VOLUME 2 (dts)

GHOST IN THE SHELL: INNOCENCE (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)

BLUE MAN GROUP / SING ALONG (dts 96/24)

THE CRYSTAL METHOD / BORN TOO SLOW (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)

SPECIAL FEATURES:

SIMPLE MINDS / ALIVE AND KICKING (dts 96/24)

THE POLYPHONIC SPREE / HOLD ME NOW (dts)

PORCUPINE TREE / SOUND OF MUZAK (dts)

LTJ BUKEM / UNCONDITIONAL LOVE (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)

SWEDISH RADIO / THE RUN (dts)

Ron AZ

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats awesome! i'm going to look for that video....questions though...

what is DTS-ES Discrete anyways??? i have it, but not sure what it means???

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually, i think the ULTIMATE THX DEMO DISC is what i downloaded..sounds right..i'm trying to find that other one now. thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil
what is DTS-ES Discrete anyways??? i have it, but not sure what it means???
DTS-ES Discrete means that it has 6.1 channels, with the additional channel being a center surround channel (or back channel). The ES version gives you an actual full back channel, rather than one matrixed from the surround channels (like Dolby Pro-Logic IIx, which is actually 7.1). Obviously, you need to have a back channel speaker in place in order to take advantage of it.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok. so if i have a 7.1 setup, should i be using the ES Discrete? or would the PlxII be better? if i go to autosurround, the 1015tx choses ES Discrete for me. is this best?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil
ok. so if i have a 7.1 setup, should i be using the ES Discrete? or would the PlxII be better? if i go to autosurround, the 1015tx choses ES Discrete for me. is this best?
Sanjay (sdurani) would be the guy to answer this, but PLIIx uses "cues" to construct a 7.1 mix. Dolby's not specific about what these "cues" are, but the existence of a 6th channel is a pretty important cue.

As PLIIx is a matrix-decoding technology, I believe that it does not use the discrete 6th channel data but rather the matrixed 6th channel data that's mixed in with the SL and SR channels so that it can play back normally on a 5.1 system but be mixed out on a DTS-ES discrete system.

Sanjay would be the guy that would confirm this.

At any rate, experiment around. Personally I found PLIIx was so good that it was better than DTS-ES discrete on DTS-ES discrete discs. My test scene was The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring extended - the scene where the Hobbits encounter their first Ring Wraith on a road just outside Hobbiton. PLIIx gave a much more "spacious" feel due to SBL-SBR steering effects.

It's easy to try out. Just set your DVD player to repeat a scene and keep switching modes on your receiver. To do a blind test, close your eyes, press the button that switches decoding modes a few times and listen. After only a few loops, it should be easy to tell the modes apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.