AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HK AVR 8000 with a 7.1 set up and have primarily been using Logic 7 with 5.1 and 6.1 encoded sources (accept for DTS ES) to send information to my rear surrounds. However after buying Star Wars Episode II I was blown away with how much more base response I got with THX EX vs Logic 7. It was, in my opinion, a big difference (for the better). So of course I left my receiver set to THX EX finished the movie with the strong decision to always listen to DD EX movies in THX EX mode (yes, I know, DD EX and THX EX are for the most part the same thing).

A couple of days later I put in another DD 5.1 movie and was surprised to see TXH EX display across my TV. I didn't realize that it was possible to overlay THX EX over DD 5.1. My question is this: Is it a good or bad thing to listen to DD 5.1 in THX EX mode or would Logic 7 be better as far as the rear surround channel content goes?

I did a search and read up on this thread and found myself in way over my head. A couple of posts suggested that playing 5.1 content in THX EX would produce undesirable effects. Is this true or untrue? I really like logic 7 but when compared to THX EX playing Attack of the Clones I found the base to be lacking.

Admittedly I have not done a side by side comparison of a THX EX and Logic 7 on a non DD EX (read DD 5.1) soundtrack and wont have time to do this until later this weekend. But I thought I'd check here for any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks in advance for your replies

jake

·
Registered
395 Posts
With my Sony DA5ES when using DD EX settings on a DD 5.1 signal the sound becomes muddied. Much less left to right and front to rear seperation. From everything I've read about sound engineering a movie soundtrack the surround back channels are only used to highten the left to right and front to rear transition. I recently sat directly in front of my surround back speakers while showing the DD EX movie "We were soldiers". The only time I heard anyhting through these speakers is when a huey was flying left to right or front to back across the screen. Oh, and also large explosions were occasionaly heard as well. Applying that logic I can see why the sound becomes muddied when applying DD EX settings to a 5.1 signal. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
For standard 5.1 recordings, Logic 7 derives true stereo rear channels in a much more intelligent way than the mono rears derived by either THX or EX decoding. When you apply EX to material that hasn't been encoded for it, the rear content derived is arbitrary and subject to lots of artifacts, whereas Logic 7 was designed for exactly this kind of material.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Bubun,

What if ya ain't got no THX 2. :)

I have the 8000 also. I use:

For DD5.1 I use Logic 7

For DD-EX it depends on the movies soundtrack, sometimes I use THX-EX and sometimes Logic 7

For DTS5.1 I use Logic 7

For DTS-ES Matrixed and Discrete6.1 I use DTS-EX.

I to notice a slight drop in bass oomph when applying logic 7 to DD & DTS material. I'm guessing it's because on the AVR8000 Logic 7 adds additional bass enhancement that circulates low frequencies in the 40Hz to 120Hz range to the front and surround speakers to deliver a less localized soundstage that appears broader and wider than when the subwoofer is

the sole source of bass energy. It seems to take something away from the sub.

This is just a guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.