AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI THX has been sold to Creative Labs. Lucasfilm will retain a minority position in the company. I find this sale interesting since the only reason (IMHO) THX ever had any success was because it had the weight and name of Lucasfilm behind it. You will be reading about this soon I suspect, if you haven't already.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
QQQ,

This is what I love about this Forum. I go vacation for a week, come home, check the forum and find some fresh news.

Since Stewart Filmscreen is a Lucasfilm THX Licensee, I find this very interesting.

Thanks,

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
156 Posts
Now, let's wait to see if Creative will amend the THX specifications to include soundcard, only to sell some AudigyTHX soundcards with a second breakout box displaying the THX logo!

·
Registered
30 Posts
There goes the brand name. High end audio backed by a company known for cheap-arse sound cards. THX will die a quick death, you will probably see it plastered across every budget PC product under the sun.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Lemonski that was/is my thoughts as well. If this goes ahead it will devalue the THX brand name, and both products and marketing associated with it. Don Stewart I look forward to hearing what you find out on the subject being as you mentioned a Licensee.

Spero D.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmh,

$8,000,000 is not a high value. Lucasfilm seemingly did not earn much with THX, so being $-greedy of course they got rid of it.

For my part, I was never really interested in THX. First I'm not always watching movies, but I want to listen to music as well, and some requirements of THX are counterproductive to that. Second I don't have a cinema, just my living room, what applies to a theater can not be applied to that. And third THX makes equipment more expensive than it needs to be.

Don't get me wrong, what THX has done for the awareness of quality of reproduction of the movie expierience in ones own home (and in the cinemas themselves) is undenieable. If I had a dedicated room just for home cinema I would look for THX, too. But for the normal living room IMO it's simply not necessary.

Ten years ago a movie theater with THX-logo clearly had an advantage over another theater, and could attract more viewers. Nowadays that seems not to be the case anymore. People are going like crazy in theaters without THX, and if you ask them they even don't acknowledge the difference. There are theaters in Germany having the THX-logo and who are still meeting the requirements or surpass them, but don't pay the license and put the logo down. Customers still flood them. So what for?

I think THX will develop into a brand name until the $8,000,000 are earned and a profit has been made. Then it will disappear.

But that has not to be the end. Lucasfilm may work on another standard, maybe even a complete new format. With the introduction of HDTV many cinemas look pale picturewise, and in many homes nowadays are better soundsystems installed. So what can a cinema do to attract people going there? They have to do something or they will vanish.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
$8 mil is a drop in the bucket to old George. I read in the other forum that this information is not correct..Lets wait and see from "the horse's mouth" what the details are.

Gus

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gus:

Would you care to make a wager :)?

As for the horses mouth here is something what it will sound like:

Creative Technology will have some say in the company's direction, but will not dictate policy or product development.

Think I am close?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
Gus:

Would you care to make a wager :)?
Ok Q, I will wager 5 "I-TOLD-YOU-SOS" that a) It was more than $8M, or B)It is not 60% of THX.;)

Gus

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I am the owner of www.homethx.com. Anyone want to buy it from me? I bought it a couple of years ago, when Lucas let it expire as a registered trademark. Here's an interesting sidebar. About 8 months ago, LucasFilm decided to re-register the trademark. I called the legal firm handling it and told them that I rightfully owned the web domain. Next thing you know they sell the name. Things that make ya go hmmmmm.... j/k about that part... but I do own the domain name.

Dan

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Hey. I just got a HD tape machine (G30000) and a couple of movie titles to play on it. A 1080i source downconverted by a bulb projector to 720p is quite an improvement from 480i or 480p upconverted. Huge. Makes DVDs really really suck. Let's hope lots of titles come out on HD tape and that HD DVDs replace DVDs real real soon. Boy do DVDs suck compared to HD tapes.

Its a shame about Ted Williams passing.

By the way, what's THX got to do with bulb projectors over $10K? Maybe someone out there has a THX certified projector? That baby must be really someting huh? Silly me, I thought THX had something to do with audio performance only.

As long as we have this off topic post on this subforum let's open it to every possible subject.

When do you guys think we will see another 400 hitter? Mr dad took me to Ted's last game where he hit a home run his last at bat. I think the attendance at that game was about 7000 or so.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually Mark, since the THX Cinema program is devoted to speeding up the adoption of digital projectors for theaters, it is completely ON topic. They are also working on certifying display devices for home theater. It must be irritatating being revealed to be wrong so much lately, so I won't take your jabs personally.

BTW, did anyone read about the new divisions:

THX Studio, for mastering and mixing of theater releases

THX Cinema, for upgrades of theatrical systems

THX Mobile, for car audio

THX Games, for the development of gaming software and hardware

THX Home

How many more ways do you think they can try to milk this cash cow? Anyone have any other ideas? Why don't we come up with a few ideas and E-mail them to THX.

How about:

THX Toy R Us for making sure kids games have good sound

THX Telephones

THX Crappy Sound. I think I've just found the golden egg here. THX could rate any product that doesn't meet their specs or won't pay for certification as "THX Crappy". Think of the shame of having your product designated as "THX Crappy". Surely this would result in millions in additional licensing fees from companies that want to remove the "THX Crappy" rating from their products.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
QQQ.

Ted Williams only hit 406 his best year. I really do not get get irritated being wrong. These forums are about learning.

And Yes please take my jabs personally :)

Seriously, I think there should be a subform where broad news worthy issues like the sale of THX can be discussed. This issue could be of interest to a broad spectrum of members.

Pease and love QQQ.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
QQQ, I think you missed one, and that would be THX-Holes. This would apply to the small perforations in items such as screens that allow sound to pass through uninhibited. My only concern here would be the necessity to have my sphincter THX certified!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jetlag
QQQ, I think you missed one, and that would be THX-Holes. This would apply to the small perforations in items such as screens that allow sound to pass through uninhibited. My only concern here would be the necessity to have my sphincter THX certified!
I first read that, and read "THX-Hoes"....I wouldn't want to be any part of that certification :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.