AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone has taken the thx home theater level 1 and 2 classes? What did you learn? How good were they?

I am starting a custom home and want to get a dedicated theater room in there. I wonder how well those classes might help. My level of knowledge and background coming in is already pretty high having spent over 10 years already reading, learning, and playing with my own gear. Plus I'm a degreed computer engineer too.

I want to learn real hard core details about room design, construction, and synergy. Will I get that in 3 days and will it be in enough detail to make it worth the money?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Coming from a similar background, and going through the custom-built process myself 2 years ago, I'd agree that the service Dennis is providing here is very likely a better bang for the buck.

I thought about taking the CEDIA theater builder classes, but looking the materials, I'd have only benefited from the "advanced" classes, but I don't think in the 1-2 days (and without the software, tools, etc. the pros have for acoustic design), I'd get enough useful info, and decided against it.

The issue with the classes is that they are geared to training pro's - and therefore they will teach about all kinds of situations - and 9/10th of those won't apply to your one situation. Spending less than a class, however, can get you a trip to CEDIA and you can soak up a lot of knowledge... Then you'll know what questions to ask of Dennis when you hire him to do the layout.

I'm happy with how my theater turned out - had Dennis' service via AVS been available at that price when I started - I hope I would have been smart enough to pull the trigger. I looked at some of the other services, but decided the cost was too much for what I would be getting.

And looking at the designs Dennis has done that have been posted here - I gotta say, they're impressive...

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts