Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang

I am considering either the Denon AVR-4802 or the AVR-3802. Either of which I would like to use in the 7.1 mode. Movie watching is most of what I will be doing. From what I can see the only real difference is the fact that the AVR-4802 incorporates the THX processing. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who thinks that the THX processing is really worth the premium.

I would prefer to spend less on the AVR-3802, but if the THX differences are 'mind-blowing' I might part with the extra bucks.

I do not care all that much about the amplifiers as I will feed the outputs to my Bryston amps.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Glenn

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ghoniba,

I don't think the THX is the main reason for the $$$ difference between the 3802 and 4802. For the $$$'s I think the 4802 would be a great buy so long as you have the money. The 4802 offers the following extras:

1: More power: I think that even thought published number is 125W, I believe the difference is more that just 15W in real world application between the 3802 and 4802. I'm basing this on the 3801 vs. 4800 and THX standards requirement for power.

2: A better remote: You get that cool programable LCD remote that would cost you an extra $250.00 on the street.

3: Pure direct more: If you're looking to source an outside analog component for SACD or 2 channel play back, this is a big +. Not only does it provide a separate path to the amplification, as in direct mode, it also turns off unecessary electronics to reduce interference.

4: Better location of the power transformer. It's in the middle and not on the side as in the 3802.

5: 50MHZ component video switching enough for HDTV, vs. the 3802 27MHZ which I only think is good for DTV.

6: Better chasis. Same one employed by the 5800. Bigger = more space. Also I find the speaker binding posts configuration to be an improvement over the 3802.

7: THX post processing. One of the few THX features that actually does something. This is a nice to have for timbre matching for providing a more seamless sound field. Also it has a re eq function, but the 3802 has a similar one.

8: Finally, and I need someone to verify this, I believe the 4802 Dacs are a better model than the one's provided in the 3802. Not 100% on this one.

Can you tell that I'm suffering from the same indescision :)

Mike

·
Registered
366 Posts
If a product is THX certified it meets THX's (lucas film) standards. The post processing is something entirely different. Read more: www.thx.com . I dont know much about current Denon models...but though the THX info might help you out. Have you looked at things like the THD of both amp sections in the receivers? Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Couple points:

2) The Aktis remote sucks, and has a street price of more than that. A 3802 + Pronto would be better if this was the only consideration.

6) It is shaped the same, but the 4802 is 1.5" shorter and not the same as the 5800 in build quality.

8) I think you're right.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Gang

Thank you all for your replies. Although I refer to the Denon, I guess I am asking this question about THX as a general thing. Is it really worth the extra money? I have heard that some people take THX as a bit of a joke.

>>More power: I think that even thought published number is 125W, I believe the difference is more that just 15W in real world>THX post processing. One of the few THX features that actually does something. This is a nice to have for timbre matching for providing a more seamless sound field. Also it has a re eq function, but the 3802 has a similar oneFinally, and I need someone to verify this, I believe the 4802 Dacs are a better model than the one's provided in the 3802. Not 100% on this one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I didnt see the part about the 3 Brystons..I would be going with a pre-amp. That is my opinion. Give it a little more time until 7 channel preamps are the norm. You can pick up a used Lexicon with 7 channel (DC series) for about a $1000. Or wait a couple weeks and get the outlaw when it is released. I think the outlaw is going to be $800 or so. As outlaw is an internet sales only company their products are less expensive than similarly featured competitors. I have yet to read a bad review on the outlaw stuff....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dear Gonhiba

Interesting that you post such a question re thx worth it or not.

Well what can I say.....

First of all let me say this I as being a fan of THX do not see it as

the be all to end all.

To ask wether thx is worth it or not you must consider this.

Appart from the thx processing which I m not all that fond of. It does provide you with an ashurance that minimum standards have been atained relating to build quality. The thx re eq is handy to have and getting the exact re eq curve is vital. Some mauufactures will have re eq but not match thx curve.

Thx decoralation I m not a fan of. It is usefull when listening to prologic.

Thx has changed since its early inceptions and changed according to market expectations and trying not to be narrow feilded.

I believe that if you research your components carefully. That their standards (each component) may actually exceed thx minium requirements. So you thx as a benchmark and work off that.:)

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Ditto was Ross E said! The best deal going is picking up a used Lexicon processor. If you want *great* 7.1, there's no contest. AV Science *had* a bunch of Lex gear at great prices--these units are from the MC-12 upgrade program (i.e., they were turned in to upgrade to the new MC-12).

Alas, all those sold out immediately. They will get some more when the MC-12B trade-in starts this month. Here's the thread, call Jason Turk at AVS pronto to sign up!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87538

Unless you have to have DPLII, this is a no-brainer for you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your comments.

>>It does provide you with an ashurance that minimum standards have been atained relating to build quality.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ghoniba,

If I knew all of the extra information you provided in your second post, I wouldn't have provided those comments.

BTW here is the Denon literature which explains the power supply in the middle merits.

http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR4802.pdf

I'm not going to argue the merits or power supply location, but they seem to be pretty well accepted.

If you're looking for "why THX?", you have to determine if you believe in the THX way. That is, THX is a standard, not only for equipment minimum standards, but they also have a particular goal. To reproduce the sound of a Theater in your home. Taking this into account, they have gone to some lengths to achieve this goal with Re-Eq and THX processing.

One of the efforts which hasn't been addressed is the THX standard in speaker selection and placement. That is they are proponents of employing two direct radiating speakers for the back surround, and dipole/bipole for surround sides. This to me is where the biggest controversy or difference comes when choosing THX over some other home grown standards. There is still a lot of discussion surrounding what is the best speaker placement/arrangement and speaker types. THX itself changes the back surround from dipole/bipole to direct radiating. This to me a very important factor in determining if THX is useful to you since their processing is optimized for this speaker arrangement.

Some people prefer direct radiators to the dipole/bipole, and some prefer different location of speakers which don't require 2 back center speakers. All you have to do is look at the equipment available in the market place to see these differences in surround approach. I think due to these speaker configurations and choice, there are people who don't like the sound of THX. Many of these people contend they don't want to reproduce the sound of a theater, they want the superior sound they can get from their personally tweaked system. Thus, I believe this is one of the reasons some people don't like the sound of THX.

Once you have this sorted out I think you can then determine what pre/pro you'd like for your system. I'd say if 2 channel music isn't a concern the Lexicon is a great choice. If not, for a comparable price to the 4802, a used B&K Ref. 30 or B&K 307 over the net can be had for about $2500.00.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ghoniba,

It is if you are into serious Home Theater.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.