AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mind saying that I'm getting sick & tired of these supposed THX certified movies. Originally I was a fan of THX certification, after reading the intent of the certification in Widescreen Review going years back, I understood and agreed with the process. A system or technology that would carefully monitor the entire transfer process from the telecine transfer to the final mass productions of the DVD copies. A system that would ensure a basically perfect DVD every time. A system that would represent the cutting edge of quality.

Even today they continue to tout on how great and in depth their process gets involved with the telecine and DVD production. Go to the link that follows my rant.

Lilo and Stich was the last straw for me! The edge enhancement is not only apparent but blatantly IN-YOUR-FACE. This DVD marks the latest in the long line of predecessors that falls far short of qualifying for any kind of quality certification, Lucas's own productions included.

Does anyone involved in the transfer and production process even look at what they're producing! Are they quite literally BLIND!

THX's best still falls short of some remarkable non-THX transfers, I don't recall anything even approaching this level in-competence ever coming out of New Line Cinema whom I regard as producing some of the best transfers out there.

In retrospect I could concede that there are probably some good, maybe even exceptional, THX transfers, it's just that I haven't seen any, and I've seen allot.

End of Rant!! Thank you

Pay particular attention to question 4.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video...index-thx.html

·
Registered
359 Posts
THX Certification only means the supposed "proper" technology was used.

It doesn't mean it was used well!!!

Much like my past rants about anamorphic disks,

(Higher resolution of a bad work equals a really noticably bad transfer!),

if the technology isn't used well, it's just a label for the sales people to use.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
At it's best, THX is nothing more than a UL stamp of approval. "This DVD won't cause your player to catch fire." ;-) It's definitely not an indicator of anything other than minimal quality.

Don't even get me started on how different THX discs are calibrated differently (there is no point in a standard that deviates from disc to disc.)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But THX is supposed to be a certification proccess to carefully monitor the transfer. If I was in a position to certify something, couldn't I just say sorry we can't endorse this transer, try again if you want our logo on this

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hoss

Thats my sentiment exactly.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Its pretty obvious THX certification is meaningless as far as P/Q is concerned. They sold out for the almighty buck, just like UL. Safety is the facade for UL to make money just like P/Q is the facade for THX. You can just about buy a UL label just like THX its money and thats all.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Gman,

I'm glad to see someone else notices EE on this movie, but the feedback I got on this thread : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=198095 , would lead you to believe I was crazy. I still haven't been able to rent it so as to capture screen PICs and settle that discussion, but what I saw would lead me to believe EVERYONE would have an issue with the EE levels. Still wondering about this one...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
THX is meaningless. All it is a "brand name" they can pay for to go on the cover, that the general population of customers associates with quality. The fact that over the last 10 years THX's standards have slipped to minimal levels is not apparent to the vast majority of buyers. It's not apparent to them due to the low quality equipment they are using.

Put a reference quality DVD (insert your debatable reference quality title name here heheh) in a $100 DVD player, hooked up to old 29" 4:3 TV with no external audio system and it looks like any other DVD. The reverse is also true, a poor quality DVD on the same system looks like a reference quality one.

So the brand retains its perceived "quality" status as for most people they can't tell the difference.

You have to wonder what goes on at THX that they feel this is okay... it must just be a cash-cow to them now that they do not care about. Which is such a shame as back in the LD days THX *DID* mean something.

Like many on this forum when I see a THX badge it is a warning, not an endorsement on the product.

I've avoided Lilo & Stitch for many reasons. (1) THX (2) House of Mouse (3) House of mouse but not Pixar (4) The previews were just too wierd for me :p

- Rick

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Krynos

I've avoided Lilo & Stitch for many reasons. (1) THX (2) House of Mouse (3) House of mouse but not Pixar (4) The previews were just too wierd for me :p
The weird previews were what got me interested- unfortunately the movie did not deliver- it's just the same old (well old would be good, I should say new) Disney shtick...

Fred

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
A special edition is coming next year (probably with DTS). Who knows what will happen then...

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Back in the early to mid 90's "THX" actually meant something. Most THX approved laserdiscs where usually among the best quality discs on the market. I'm not 100% but I believe that the Special Edition Box Set of "The Abyss" in 1992 was the first time the THX label was attached to a laserdisc. In fact, while LD was still the choice format for movie lovers, I would get all giddy when a new LD of a movie I liked would hit the market carrying a THX logo on it's packaging.

But when dvd hit the market, it seems the folks over at THX folded up their tents and went home, leaving blind monkeys behind to hold the fort.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jackie

Your right about the THX Abyss on LD it was great, I still have my copy. Many and perhaps all the THX LD's were probably better than the Criterion editions, which were the defacto reference before THX came along. LD was the main reason I held such high hopes for THX for so long. But LDs had the room for improvement, I've seen many LDs that were as bad as VHS and very few studios were doing it right.

When I play my Lds now however on my projector set-up, guess what I see on these discs, thats right, EE, and a lot of it. I think thats where THX started this whole sceme in the first place. After all, projectors and video processors were for rich in those days and HDTV displays had yet to see the horizon so most of the equipment that we watched LDs on were low res and relatively poor quality (by todays standards). This EE trick worked well for THX.

I really do believe the THX has carried this trick to DVD, the masses still have the vote with their old displays so I don't imagine Lucas will change things until the tide turns. Their conclusions, that we're seeing things, is not that their in denial but are in fact the party line, they know it's there (you'd have to be blind to miss it) but they'll never admit it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.