AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Strange that other news agencies haven't heard anything about this...

I'll wait for an official announcement before believing anything.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
This is being discussed at length elsewhere in other forum topics. It's for real. The only thing being debated are the details.

TM

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spizz
There goes the value of the THX brand name
And why?

Do you have any idea of the amount of companies that own other companies?

It isn't always a bad thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A good example is when Clarion bought McIntosh. McIntosh maintained engineering independence, and far from seeing the brand go down hill, it's experienced a revival of sorts, including a re-entry into the tube market.

Seth

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Creative is best know for their budget soundcards not Home Theater Products.

Spero D.

·
Registered
30,155 Posts
Quote:
Creative is best know for their budget soundcards not Home Theater Products.
THX is best known for their licensing of standards not Home Theater Products (cuz they don't make any). So they may be a good match for Creative Labs after all. Besides, it's not like THX was a cash cow for LucasFilm.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
THX is best known for their licensing of standards not Home Theater Products (cuz they don't make any).
Sanjay you are correct. I should of been more clear in that I meant Home Theater Product licensing for the THX stamp instead of "Home Theater products".

Quote:
So they may be a good match for Creative Labs after all. Besides, it's not like THX was a cash cow for LucasFilm.
I disagree. It is not like George Lucas needs the extra cash that he designed the THX standards. He should of kept the THX ownership under his Lucasfilm stable instead of selling it to a computer manufacture who's expertise predominantly lie in computer product manufacturing and people associate Creative with said industry instead of the HT industry.

Spero D.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More info Here.

It looks like it was just announced in a newspaper to. But the poster mentions minority stake. Is 60% a minority stake? :)

Spero D.

·
Registered
30,155 Posts
Quote:
He should of kept the THX ownership under his Lucasfilm stable instead of selling it to a computer manufacture who's expertise predominantly lie in computer product manufacturing and people associate Creative with said industry instead of the HT industry.
Spero,

I agree to the extent that I can't imagine why he would want to sell off THX (to Creative or anyone else), especially since he has been known to be such a control freak. Besides, selling a 60% share for only 8 million dollars? Is it really worth so little compared to Lucas' other businesses?

As for why he sold to Creative Labs in particular, who knows. Maybe they offerred the most? As you said, like most people I associate them with the computer industry; in fact I keep forgetting that they've owned Cambridge Sound Works for some time.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
in fact I keep forgetting that they've owned Cambridge Sound Works for some time.
Thanks Sanjay for the information. You learn something new every day on these forums :)

Spero D.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Creative Labs owns several companies, Cambridge, Emu, and ensoniq to name a few. While I do not care for Creative Labs products, I do not think they have had a negative effect on Emu at all. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree that we'll have to wait and see what effect it has on THX. If they can maintain a relative degree of autonomy, then they should be ok. But if Creative comes in and says, "you need to make your standards less stringent so you can sell more THX certifications," then there would be a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.