AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an in wall speaker these days worth a look? Need some better than onkyo thx 7.1 speakers for my nr3030. I'm interested in adding atmos.

I don't want to be disappointed.

Any recent experiences with in wall appreciated! Tia.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Yes indeed.

It simply depends on your budget.

You can spend north of $200,000 with say Wisdom Audio or get away with $600 from Micca.

Another consideration is your wall construction.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. Looking at many. Want best bang for buck. Looked at monoprice thx, but their support stinks. Next stops are RBH, sonance, speakercraft, triad...

Was hoping to hear real world experiences.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I wouldn’t look at anything other than Klipsch, Revel, or Kef.

Two of those are actually THX rated, the other is just high quality.

Going with cheap speakers like Micca’s will probably not end up with you being happy with your system as they are pretty much the in wall equivalent of your current speakers.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Thanks, guys. Looking at many. Want best bang for buck. Looked at monoprice thx, but their support stinks. Next stops are RBH, sonance, speakercraft, triad...

Was hoping to hear real world experiences.
What’s the budget?

I listened to the new RBH at CEDIA.

GoldenEar Invisa SPS are very good.

Klipsch, KEF, Revel, Dynaudi, James and Phase Technology are worthy contenders.

I tried to PM but it appears you are not setup for that. My email is in my sig.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Again an in wall can run $100 - $10,000 each or more.

Do you have a pic or a drawing of the space?

Does your Onkyo NR 3030 have preouts to connect an external amp?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, original budget was going to be 3-5k. Something came up and am going to be after highest end budget thx speakers. I'm looking at monoprice at the moment.

I do have pre outs on the nr3030. It's the onkyo big dog of last generation.

The spendy part will now be on 2 subs. In wall would be great, but I'm sure good ones will be through the roof.

Anyone hear monoprice high end units when installed with a decent amp?

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Mmiles, likely gonna do front 3 in wall, 4 ceiling in wall. May use what I have for surrounds. Trying to navigate this as decent as possible with newer limited funds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was hoping. I could build an enclosure for each and use viny dampened matt to keep the sound from escaping. Dunno how much that helps the performance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was hoping. I could build an enclosure for each and use viny dampened matt to keep the sound from escaping. Dunno how much that helps the performance.
I'm not sure how much acoustical benefit if any you would get from a back box, as long as they are already flush mounted to the wall.. look up "infinite baffle".

Sound bleed into other rooms however is an entirely different issue.

Always best to just call the manufacturer of the product once you narrow it down in preparation for install. Building boxes should factor into product cost, ease of use etc, during buying process.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New budget is $2k, miles.

As for box, I have carpenter connections and can get them made for cheap. I worry about outside wall sounding like a theater. Monoprice is completely worthless at support.

I'm trying to factor in some back or side in wall units. Wondering if their 2 ways will do. Might get more out of the 3 ways with some movies or music.

Found some ultra thin high strand speaker wire for $200. I'm gonna grab it. It's got almost 300 strands per cable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, I am also able to get speakercraft aim 5 and definitive technology in wall speakers in the price range. I wonder of these would do better than the monoprice thx in wall speakers.

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
I'm not sure how much acoustical benefit if any you would get from a back box, as long as they are already flush mounted to the wall.. look up "infinite baffle".

Sound bleed into other rooms however is an entirely different issue.

Always best to just call the manufacturer of the product once you narrow it down in preparation for install. Building boxes should factor into product cost, ease of use etc, during buying process.
Infinite baffle designs assume a sound blocking baffle. Drywall is not a sound blocking baffle. It is porous to sound and allows sound to bleed through it. If sound can bleed into adjacent rooms, it can also bleed back into the room the speakers are in. Since that sound originates from the backside of the driver, it is, by definition, opposite phase of the front wave which propagates directly into the room. Opposite phase waves cancel each other. Therefore, sound that bleeds back into the listening room from the backside wave can potentially cancel the sound one wants to hear. This is most likely to occur in the longer-wavelength lower frequencies. Using a backbox stops this process. So, there is a distinct acoustic benefit of using backboxes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Infinite baffle designs assume a sound blocking baffle. Drywall is not a sound blocking baffle. It is porous to sound and allows sound to bleed through it. If sound can bleed into adjacent rooms, it can also bleed back into the room the speakers are in. Since that sound originates from the backside of the driver, it is, by definition, opposite phase of the front wave which propagates directly into the room. Opposite phase waves cancel each other. Therefore, sound that bleeds back into the listening room from the backside wave can potentially cancel the sound one wants to hear. This is most likely to occur in the longer-wavelength lower frequencies. Using a backbox stops this process. So, there is a distinct acoustic benefit of using backboxes.
Agree on the benefit of a real back box when using in-wall speakers. I used the KEF THX in-walls (linked above in 2nd post) for my surrounds and Atmos speakers, all with boxes made from 1/2" plywood built between the studs. Pictures attached showing boxes in wall/ceiling after insulation was installed and then after painting the walls. Note the speakers come with a clear cover for use during painting - this was huge since we had the theater walls painted by the crew painting the rest of the house and you can see how they got paint all over the covers.

These sound great and integrate really well with the KEF R7's I have for L/C/R. Boxes are strongly advised no matter what brand you go with. BTW, I got these at half price by finding a dealer who wanted them moved from his inventory, so don't count out some models just because of high MSRP.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice pics. Nice insulation, or is the noise stopping variety they make?

I'd make boxes with heavy vinyl noise stopping material placed in or outside with some noise insulation or foam behind the speakers if I went this route.

I will likely make the boxes. I just have to figure out how important size will be since some of these speakers seem to have long throw woofers. I wonder if a port to the living room would improve bass and sound performance.

I know others have said wait for budget again, but, I just want to close everything up and forget about it for a few years.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts