AVS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One more thing, what do you guys think of installing all side and rear surrounds in the ceiling, only separating them from atmos speakers and aiming them towards the ear at sitting position?

This could make wire running much easier!!

On my last set up, my center was in the ceiling and angled down. It sounded great. Definitive technology makes something in ceiling that appears to be able to act as a center. Researching that now.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Guys, I am also able to get speakercraft aim 5 and definitive technology in wall speakers in the price range. I wonder of these would do better than the monoprice thx in wall speakers.

These are not very good speakers.

You see people commonly replacing these on the forum.

I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
One more thing, what do you guys think of installing all side and rear surrounds in the ceiling, only separating them from atmos speakers and aiming them towards the ear at sitting position?

This could make wire running much easier!!

On my last set up, my center was in the ceiling and angled down. It sounded great. Definitive technology makes something in ceiling that appears to be able to act as a center. Researching that now.

Only one thing can go in the ceiling. Surrounds or Atmos.

Not both.

Otherwise you smear the sound bubble that Atmos is trying to form by putting surround noises also above your head.

Why do you need to do in ceiling center?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Russ, the screen will be above the fireplace, I will need the area for big screen. Toying with the idea of using wall area left of fireplace which would make center placement less of an issue.

It a large room, so I'm hoping the surrounds would sound ok in the ceiling, but angled at listening positions.

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
Though NOT suggested you could do a 5.x.2 and have the RS and LS in the ceiling behind the seating at 100-110’degrees then the front ATMOS at the 40-45 degree angle.

That is as far as I’d push an in ceiling install.

You can buy north of your budget and still land at $2K

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Russ, the screen will be above the fireplace, I will need the area for big screen. Toying with the idea of using wall area left of fireplace which would make center placement less of an issue.

It a large room, so I'm hoping the surrounds would sound ok in the ceiling, but angled at listening positions.

Is the screen not AT so you cannot do an in wall center/LCR?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is the screen not AT so you cannot do an in wall center/LCR?
The drop down screeen will cover any center speaker. Otherwise, it would be very low. 120" now, but looking at 140ish in the future. Could just put a enclosed center speaker up top and angle down like my last set up. Heavy and a pain, though. The definitive tech center deal is looking better and better. Look it up, UIW RCS II.

Also looking at the PSB C SUR for the rear side and back surround. I'm thinking with some tunning on the onkyo nr3030, and 8" {atmos} monoprice alpha units, in the middle of the room, adding two of these PSB speakers for the rear surrounds could simplify the install and keep stuff off the walls. I have not played with the self tunning mic much. I'm wondering what something like this could sound like with all the adjustments avail? Room is large and the spacing would be pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, looks like monoprice in wall thx units. Will grab as many as I can. Still not sure which in ceiling center. Anyone have any feedback on the few I'm looking at? Impossible to get a demo around here.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Guys, I am also able to get speakercraft aim 5 and definitive technology in wall speakers in the price range. I wonder of these would do better than the monoprice thx in wall speakers.

I have the Speakercraft AIM 7 two's in ceiling and Dayton in wall. The Speakercraft are ok but seem to have a slight sound/resonance in the mids compared to the Dayton's. In use you'd never know as they all sound good. If I knew about the Dayton's earlier I would have got those for the ceiling to save a buck. I really like the Dayton's because they have a clean non offensive sound to me. I'm not a horn/ribbon person but more of a soft dome. I have these hooked to a Denon 6400H.

Here's a link to the in walls: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-me825w-8-micro-edge-2-way-in-wall-speaker-pair--300-439

Here's the in ceiling I would get to match: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-me820c-8-2-way-micro-edge-ceiling-speaker-pair--300-434

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have the Speakercraft AIM 7 two's in ceiling and Dayton in wall. The Speakercraft are ok but seem to have a slight sound/resonance in the mids compared to the Dayton's. In use you'd never know as they all sound good. If I knew about the Dayton's earlier I would have got those for the ceiling to save a buck. I really like the Dayton's because they have a clean non offensive sound to me. I'm not a horn/ribbon person but more of a soft dome. I have these hooked to a Denon 6400H.

Here's a link to the in walls: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-me825w-8-micro-edge-2-way-in-wall-speaker-pair--300-439

Here's the in ceiling I would get to match: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-me820c-8-2-way-micro-edge-ceiling-speaker-pair--300-434
Thanks for the feedback. I quickly saw they werent the best way to go. Kind of settled on monoprice units, but then started looking at psb and focal in ceiling and wall stuffs. Its so hard to buy and not be able to listen. Im also considering towers just for left and right, the rest will be in wall no matter what. im jumping around... haha

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Update: front left and right go to focal towers. I broke down and got a deal. I was able to bump up the budget a bit. Front center is focal in ceiling 300.

Rears have yet to be picked up, but I'm looking at definitive technology for in ceiling surrounds in their highest end version.

Thanks to all for the input.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Update for those of you who were following...

The Focal aria 948 are in da houz, along with the definitive technologies RCSII.

My Onkyo NR3030 took a dump as I was about to try them out. ;(

I was able to pull out a older cheapie onkyo and test them out.

The Focal 948 sounds great all around and seems to do better with mids. The tweeters are too bright, but the dealer says they will soften up as they break in. I have to turn the treble way down at the moment.

The focal in ceiling center has not made it and the dealer has no idea where it is... Lets skip this part.

The definitive technologies speaker is pretty amazing. I almost hate to admit this, but the clarity and seperation nearly rivals the focal towers; I'm blown away to be quite honest. These will be the 4 rear channels and possibly the center if the focal doesnt sound much better. The bass and feel is substantial on these, they really did their homework when making them. The thought of returning the focals all together has crossed my mind and just picking up all 7 RCSII's for the job could be possible. Would be able to save quite a bit on the deal.

Anyhow, thanks for all the comments and If anyone has any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The 300 focal in ceiling has been on sample duty. I'll post a review on it and the RCSII DEFINITIVE TECH speakers soon.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Update for those of you who were following...

The Focal aria 948 are in da houz, along with the definitive technologies RCSII.

My Onkyo NR3030 took a dump as I was about to try them out. ;(

I was able to pull out a older cheapie onkyo and test them out.

The Focal 948 sounds great all around and seems to do better with mids. The tweeters are too bright, but the dealer says they will soften up as they break in. I have to turn the treble way down at the moment.

The focal in ceiling center has not made it and the dealer has no idea where it is... Lets skip this part.

The definitive technologies speaker is pretty amazing. I almost hate to admit this, but the clarity and seperation nearly rivals the focal towers; I'm blown away to be quite honest. These will be the 4 rear channels and possibly the center if the focal doesnt sound much better. The bass and feel is substantial on these, they really did their homework when making them. The thought of returning the focals all together has crossed my mind and just picking up all 7 RCSII's for the job could be possible. Would be able to save quite a bit on the deal.

Anyhow, thanks for all the comments and If anyone has any questions, let me know.
Speaker break in is a myth. You may get used to the bright sound but you may not. I have seen measurements of some Focal speakers that have a midrange cut and a high frequency boost, not a flat response.

·
Premium Member
12,373 Posts
Speaker break in is a myth. You may get used to the bright sound but you may not. I have seen measurements of some Focal speakers that have a midrange cut and a high frequency boost, not a flat response.
Yeah, he's not allowed to like Focal speakers now, is he? 😖

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, he's not allowed to like Focal speakers now, is he? 😖
Myth to some degree. I will tell you some speakers do change and loosen up. The 948 have started to change. I'm not digging the highs, though. The dealer is adamant that few hundred hours will change them. They've encouraged to leave the radio on for a week. Kinda odd if you ask me.

My ceiling focal 300 has a non working mid range switch, they are exchanging it. Not too happy with build quality, definitely seeing the value in my RCSII.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts