AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm not sure if this question have been asked but what's the advantage of a receiver being THX-Certified over receivers that are not THX certified?

I'm thinking...one disadvantege would be the price of a THX receiver that is expensive than a non-THX receiver, but this may not be true. I do saw the sound cards from Creative Labs that have THX Certification built-in to Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 4, and Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi, but those are just sound cards for PCs (in my case, I have THX-Certified SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook for my laptop), but my thread is about receivers and THX.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie
Hi. I'm not sure if this question have been asked .
Yes it has been asked, and probably countless number times here already over the last few years. There was even one just recently, in the last month. Just use the search function here and you will find at least one or two of the latest threads, if not more. Where it was brought up/asked, discussed and argued.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh--oops. Sorry, didn't mean to clutter up the forum. Thanks for your help. There are a lot of threads which can be irrelevant to my search criteria but searching for a thread marked "thx" isn't a problem.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
/rant on

But in general, I have a bone to pick with everyone that always responds "duh...did you search". Searching these message boards is at times looking for a needle in a hay stack. The search functions are NOT very good and you have to be very precise to get a hit or you have to wade through potentially hundreds of messages to find what you are looking for. Saying "did you search" is almost as bad as saying have you read the "XYZ product official owners thread" that tend to be hundreds of pages long. Who has time to wade through all of that?

It is much nicer and easier to just let people post their questions and if someone knows the answer and feels like responding, then great. If they don't or no one responds, then the originator can go through the ad nauseum detail. If the question reignites a discussion that has already been debated, then so be it, such is human nature, or have people not watched the news or read a paper in the last hundred years? It's done all of the time.

/rant off

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Grayson,

As you mentioned, THX is just a certification standard that is supposed to ensure that the said product meets a set of requirements that allow you, the end user, to enjoy the sound of the product as it was intended by the director. Now, whether it is worth the extra money or not is completely subjective since, ultimately, you have to determine if it sounds better. More specifically, can your ear pick up the differences between a system that does not meet all of the specifications versus one that does?

Another thing to consider is that manufacturers must pay to have their products THX certified. Just because a receiver your considering does not have the cute little THX logo does not necessarily mean that it does not meet the specifications, it might just mean that it has never been tested.

Lastly, there are a number of receivers now that are receiving THX Select 2 certification, which is not quite as rigid a standard as THX Ultra 2, but gets you most of the specifications. These receiving, particularly a number from Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, and Onkyo can be had starting in the $700+ street price range.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It didn't take that long to search through the threads in THX (I typed in "THX advantage" (without the quotes) in the Advanced Search page and selected Recievers/Amps forum to narrow the search results).

Since I'm thinking that THX isn't worth it for me, I will be getting Sony STR-DE897/S for less than $270 at Circuit City.com and will be hooking it to my SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook sound card via Creative SoundBlaster Home Theater Connect cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.