AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that if I were to use a non-THX sub that whenever I decrease the volume below reference (0 db), which is quite possibly quite often, that the only way to adjust the output of the subwoofer is to use the sub's volume knob on the sub itself, as oppose to using a THX sub, in which case when one lowers the overall volume on the pre/pro or receiver, the THX sub's volume decreases accordingly.

I am wondering if this is indeed true or is it untrue and based on THX marketing hype?

i thought that using any sub with a pre/pro/receiver would allow for proper volume adjustment (including adjusting the sub's volume) whenever one were to decrease the master volume on the pre/pro/receiver.

however, since i was told otherwise, that unless it is a THX sub, adjusting the volume down on the pre/pro/receiver would simply lower the volume of everything EXCEPT the output volume of the subwoofer, so it woun't work properly unless were to be willing/able to reduce the sub's volume appropriately by actually going to the sub itself and adjusting the output volume knob each time one were to go below reference (0 db).

am i totally confused? don't understand this bass management part for 5.1 systems on THX vs no THX.

Thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eieio
I was told that if I were to use a non-THX sub that whenever I decrease the volume below reference (0 db), which is quite possibly quite often, that the only way to adjust the output of the subwoofer is to use the sub's volume knob on the sub itself, as oppose to using a THX sub, in which case when one lowers the overall volume on the pre/pro or receiver, the THX sub's volume decreases accordingly.
That is completely bogus. Whoever told you that doesn't know diddly squat about 5.1 channel systems.

There is no difference between a THX-sub and a non-THX sub. "THX" is simply an audio version of the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. The manufacturer pays THX a fee and a royalty. THX certifies that the sub is capable of "x" amount of output with "y" frequency response and everybody hopes that you will pay a little more for the THX logo.

The only thing that you should really look for in terms of "features" on a subwoofer is that it have a "direct" or "bypass" input -- an RCA connector that bypasses any crossover in the subwoofer itself. You don't need to use (or want to use) the crossover in the subwoofer, because your Dolby Digital receiver has a better crossover.

When you change the master volume control on the receiver, the output of the subwoofer goes up or down, right along with all the other speakers -- just like every volume control on every piece of gear you've ever used.

·
Registered
404 Posts
they want you to cough up extra for the thx sticker-sounds like a bad company to deal with(outright liars)-keep looking.

if your pre-pro has a built in cutoff you can buy a passive sub like vmps and add a amp of your choice-thats what i did,i didnt want a class g or d amp, thats what alot of companies use to show large power numbers but those amps are one note and not very musical.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Don't go back to that store, unless you want to screw with the employee. Definately not to buy anything. As hwc said, they don't know "diddly squat".

·
Registered
303 Posts
One more thing...Being a THX certified sub isn't a guarantee you're going to like it. Not having the THX certification isn't going to mean it is automatically a lower quality device. With that said, some of the better (aka more expensive) subs will pay for the certification just for the bragging rights of having the sticker on it. It is a guarantee of at least a certain amount of ability and quality, so it is easier to be sure you have at least a decent sub if it does have the certification.

What's your price range, use and expectations. I'm sure many here will have great advice on subs to audition.

·
Registered
27,571 Posts
I have 4 THX certified subs in my system but I've heard better...

Don't let THX guide your decisions in the sub department.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.