Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure I am the last one to know this -

Last night I found out on some DVDs (such as Monster Inc and Star Wars) there was an THX option which you can use to run audio and video tests on your system. Using the video tests on my 300U, I found out my eyeball settings were off significantly, especially "Contrast" and "Brightness" was set way too high. I am sure this is no Avia calibration, but is helpful for folks who don't have the Avia disk.

On the audio tests, I particularly like the "Crossover Test" where a tone from the main speakers continuously drops in frequency and then crosses over to the sub-woofer. If the sound is continuous and the transition from your main speakers to the sub-woofer is smooth, then your system doesn't have a "hole".

·
Registered
28,452 Posts
I recommend that you pick up an Avia or at least a Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc to better fine-tune your settings. The THX Optimode tests are fine for a starting point, but due to some inherently flawed logic in their design they are accurate for only that particular disc they appear on, and cannot be used as a general calibration tool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.