Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Just downloaded cool THX, DD, and DTS trailers. I'd like to play it everytime I start the HTPC or WinDVD.

I manage to do file association with the *.vob files, thus I can double click the trailer file and WinDVD will play it when the projector is ready and it'll play the trailer. Yet, I need to exit WinDVD first to be able to start the DVD. It is cumbersome.

Anyone have other idea on how to make the trailer being played at the begining and continue to play DVD from DVDRom without exiting WinDVD first after the trailer ended..?

Thanks!

adzan

PS : my fav THX trailers is the Simpson one... so cool...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have similar aspirations (and I even like the Simpsons trailer) for my soon-to-be-built HTPC.

I thought that one of the players let you have a "playlist" where you could have the trailer + the movie listed and it would play them sequentially. You should check the various players for such a feature - I believe I may have even asked about this before, so you can search for posts that have been done in the last year on that topic.

Conor

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Conor :

Thanks, will do the search.

So, does it work at your site?

regads,

adzan

·
Registered
191 Posts
I haven't built my HTPC yet. However, I was able to get a playlist to work with a series of trailers (I have no DVD drive on this particular machine).

It's been awhile since I did it, but it was with one of the big software DVD players (windvd, powerdvd) I believe.

So we'll say "yes, it works"

Conor

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
If you guys have a way to get PowerDVD to play ripped .vob files by double-clicking the .vob files, please let me know how you did it. I can do this with WinDVD, no problem. With PowerDVD, if I set the file association the way I did with WinDVD, the best I can do is get PowerDVD to launch without playing the ,vob file. I imagine there is a command line switch which tells PowerDVD to automatically play the %1 file associated in explorer.

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet:
If you guys have a way to get PowerDVD to play ripped .vob files by double-clicking the .vob files, please let me know how you did it. I can do this with WinDVD, no problem. With PowerDVD, if I set the file association the way I did with WinDVD, the best I can do is get PowerDVD to launch without playing the ,vob file. I imagine there is a command line switch which tells PowerDVD to automatically play the %1 file associated in explorer.
Someone posted something about quotes around the %1 messed up one of the players. Don't remember which player, or if it was true or not.

Also, for the original poster, you might want to consider Girder. It can do everything you want, and much more!

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet:

It works perfect for me. I setup a shortcut on my desktop to my favorite VOB, (Tex Repair-Ex) and I can run the Trailer from my remote, (Wireless IR Keyboard/Pronto) and PowerDvd loads and plays the trailer. Then I hit another button that sends the O keyboard command to change powerdvd to disc mode and then enter to play the disc.

Jack

P.S. If you haven't seen the Tex-Repair Trailer, you don't know what your missing. Absolutely unbelievable.

[This message has been edited by midmadn (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love these types of demos.... If you download these you can combine them all with the copy command...

copy /b file.vob + file2.vob + file3.vob output.vob

Works great http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif I grabbed them all for a nice little showoff loop...

blondon

[This message has been edited by blondon (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Funny, I can't stand those friggin' THX, DD and DTS trailers. I guess I'm the only one.

------------------

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by midmadn:

It works perfect for me. I setup a shortcut on my desktop to my favorite VOB, (Tex Repair-Ex) and I can run the Trailer from my remote, (Wireless IR Keyboard/Pronto) and PowerDvd loads and plays the trailer. Then I hit another button that sends the O keyboard command to change powerdvd to disc mode and then enter to play the disc.

Jack

P.S. If you haven't seen the Tex-Repair Trailer, you don't know what your missing. Absolutely unbelievable.

[This message has been edited by midmadn (edited 04-26-2001).]
Jack,

If you dont mind, can you tell me step by step what you did to get the double-clicking of the .vob files to play automatically in PowerDVD?

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Michael,

I just went to My Computer, located a VOB file, right click on it then select - open with, then browse to C:\\Program Files\\Cyberlink\\PowerDvd\\PowerDvd.exe. Make sure you keep your eye open for the little check box that says - Always use this program to open this file type. And it has always worked. If you've already tried this, you might want to try looking in the Configuration Menu of PowerDvd. Maybe you need to have - play Disc Automatically selected or something. Also, remember that when it loads a VOB file, PowerDvd automatically switches to File Mode. You have to use the O command or select the mode button before you can play a Dvd Disc again.

Jack

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Jack, that's the first thing I tried. There is no problems with PowerDVD being launched when a double-click a .vob file. However, PowerDVD doesn't automatically play the file. I already checked the option to start playing when disk is inserted.

The ONLY thing I can do is drag the .vob file right on top of the PowerDVD player. That starts the .vob file right away. Perhaps this is a limitation with PowerDVD VR-X.

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
mkanet,

I just setup a new install of PowerDVD VR-X on my new Win2000 Server system. It didn't automatically associate .VOB files with PowerDVD, but I was able to do "Open With" and select PowerDVD. It now uses PowerDVD VR-X to open VOB files on a double click, and they run fine. If I look in Folder Options/File Types I don't see an association for .VOB files at all. So I'm not really sure how it's running it. It's probably just "PowerDVD.Exe PlayMe.VOB". But lauching .VOB files with PowerDVD VR-X does indeed work.

mflaster,

That was me who posted about the quotes. It was in reference to WinDVD. I tried to add my own file association for .VOB files to be launched by WinDVD. When you setup a file association under Folder Options/File Types it defaults to lauching like [WinDVD.EXE "%1"]. The %1 get's replaced by the file name when you launch, but WinDVD has a problem parsing the "(quotes). So by removing them I was able to get WinDVD to play VOB files.

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.