AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a B & K Ref 50 and in the owners manual it indicates that in order to use the Ultra 2 feature a subwoofer that goes to 20Hz is necessary but my 1200 goes to 22Hz. Can I still use the Ultra 2 feature with the Velodyne?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that I don't really need to use the Ultra 2? Is that the only reason that it is included so as to "help eliminate some of the "boominess" of subs that go below 20Hz"?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A sub that goes to 22Hz also goes to 20Hz, just at a virtually indistinguishable lesser amount of loudness. In fact, the 22Hz sub may actually go lower and louder in your room compared to a 20Hz sub in my room - environmental factors play a huge role in frequency responses.

My suggestion: try it without and without the feature and see if you like it.

My guess is that you won't notice much of a difference.

Bill

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
THX Ultra certified subs were used to rolled off below 30hz,then THX realized in the age of digital soundtracks it doesn't "cut mustard",so they revised this criteria to extend to 20hz when they announced the THX Ultra 2 specs.This has nothing to do with pre/pros,the only features that do regarding bass is the "boundary compensation" controll,which basicaly compensates for subs that being put too close to the wall[isn't everybody does that?].So if you have a THX Ultra 2 pre/pro/receiver,you can use any subs with it.BTW most subs[commercial] don't do justice to 20hz anyhow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.