AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the Pioneer Elite 47tx/Marantz SR9300/SR8200 deliver 4 ohms loads? I'm considering the Polk Audio LSi series and they are listed as being speakers wtih 4 ohms "nominal impendance" ratings.

Also, I was told that as long as the receiver is THX spec it MUST do 3.2 ohms. True? Or heresay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
I mentioned this previously in another thread..

The THX Ultra standard is a minimum of 28V into 3.2 Ohms... :cool:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Sinitro,

That's probably exactly where my buddy got the information from. :)

No offense but where did u get this information? I mean just cuz this one guy says "...THX Ultra=3.2 ohms".

I'm assuming you read this in some manufacturer's documentation or ramblings? I'd love to read that myself so if you could post the URL...

If this is correct then I won't have to concern myself with 4 ohms speakers and Ultra2 receivers and their compatibility. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
I read this directly from the THX Licensing Manual which is not generally available to the general public. But since this is what we do in our spare time ;) we have the subject technical information.

If an AVR is THX Ultra Certified then U should have NO problems with 4 Ohms speakers, as the THX standards are based on certain SPL levels within a large, defined room. For your info, we have found certain brands of loudspeakers such as Polk and Infinity to be 4 Ohms even if their spec sheets say 6/8 Ohms.

But again if the AVR is THX Ultra Certified, U should be fine.. :cool:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I own the 49TXi and the receiver shut down repeatedly w/ just a pair of LSi9s. I also have a pair of Sonys that are 4Ohms that shut down frequently also.

This is w/ only 2 speakers being driven, plenty of ventilation, no eq, and a flat tone control.

For what it's worth...

-Brian

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bghead8che
I own the 49TXi and the receiver shut down repeatedly w/ just a pair of LSi9s. I also have a pair of Sonys that are 4Ohms that shut down frequently also.

This is w/ only 2 speakers being driven, plenty of ventilation, no eq, and a flat tone control.

For what it's worth...

-Brian
Hmm.

We have not actually tested the 49TX;;

but have run the Harman/Kardon 8000 and Denon 5800 both of which are THX Ultra certified at very, very high levels with 4 Ohms speakers and no shutdown issues.. :cool:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Again, for what it is worth... in the manual it states in three place ONLY user speakers w/ 6-8 Ohms.

Why, if the 49TXi handles 4 ohm loads so well, would they tell you not to use 4 Ohm speakers?

I doubt my 49TXi is defective. Runs perfectly at 100 + DB w/ a few 8 and 6 Ohm speakers I have tried.

IMHO if you have 4 OHM speakers get different speakers or go seperates.

-Brian

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinitro
I read this directly from the THX Licensing Manual which is not generally available to the general public. But since this is what we do in our spare time ;) we have the subject technical information.

If an AVR is THX Ultra Certified then U should have NO problems with 4 Ohms speakers, as the THX standards are based on certain SPL levels within a large, defined room. For your info, we have found certain brands of loudspeakers such as Polk and Infinity to be 4 Ohms even if their spec sheets say 6/8 Ohms.

But again if the AVR is THX Ultra Certified, U should be fine.. :cool:
Hello Sinitro,

Thanks for the reply! Now on with the auditions... :)

Regards.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Again, for what it is worth... in the manual it states in three place ONLY user speakers w/ 6-8 Ohms.

Why, if the 49TXi handles 4 ohm loads so well, would they tell you not to use 4 Ohm speakers?

I doubt my 49TXi is defective. Runs perfectly at 100 + DB w/ a few 8 and 6 Ohm speakers I have tried.

IMHO if you have 4 OHM speakers get different speakers or go seperates.

-Brian
I'm not surprised to hear this as I have already e-mailed Pioneer Canada's tech dept...they told me to stick with 8 and 6 ohms speakers. Which as you know is what is mentioned in the specs. As you said, if the Elites could indeed handle 4 ohms loads it would have been mentioned in the specs.

Denons and HK's might be the exception. When you're in "buy mode" it's better to be safe and not take chances. So, should I opt for the 47tx I'll go with 8 or 6 ohms speakers...B&W 600 series (8 ohms) or Monitor Audio Silver S series (6 ohms). But, I might also choose to go with a B&K 505 which IS rated for both 8 and 4 ohms. OR, I might go with separates...Anthem AVM20 v2 preamp/pro and Anthem MCA50/20...or, Rotel 1066/Anthem MCA20/50 amps...or Anthem avm20 v2/Bryston 9B SST/Bryston 4B SST.

Thanks guys!! :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me again :)

I would still like to know if the Marantz SR9300 (just came out) or the previous model the SR9200 are able to deliver 4 ohms loads. The specs only mention 8 ohms. Not 6 nor 4...

I was at a audio shop last year. They had a PSB Stratus Goldi/6i/Mini (4/8/4 ohms speakers) system hooked up to a SR7200. Drivin at a "comfortable" sound level but not at reference. No problems. So I'm thinking the Marantz SR series speakers might be able to deliver 4 ohms loads...And the x200 series was notorious for overexagerating wpc claims. The sr7200 it turns out actually only gives you just under 30 wpc x5....sad! :p But I digress...

I've always liked the Marantz sound. Hope the new SR9300 is able to deliver. Would love to pair it with a Polk Audio LSi home theater speaker system...if not, I will go with B&K 505..as I already mentioned...

later all! :)

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Check the Marantz AVRs closely U will see that up through the 7200 is assembled in China or Korea actually by a subcontractor (the Sherwood/Newcastle factory). Models above the 7200 are assembled in Japan by Marantz itself, and typically the Japanese assembled AVRs are of higher grade with higher yield electrical specifications and better capability to drive 4 Ohms speakers. Many AVRs cannot handle 4 Ohm loads well mainly due to the point they have downsized the power supply and heat sinks for cost reasons. Also if an AVR is rated by the brand with a 4 Ohm specification than UL will test it under more rigourous testing.

I have not tested the Elite AVR models so I will not comment further about their 4 Ohm performance but...

I do find it very surprising that if in fact they do not handle 4 Ohms

loads well.... :cool:

Just my $.02 worth.. :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Why would you be surprised? Pioneer has made it clear it does not work w/ 4 Ohm loads.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinitro
Check the Marantz AVRs closely U will see that up through the 7200 is assembled in China or Korea actually by a subcontractor (the Sherwood/Newcastle factory). Models above the 7200 are assembled in Japan by Marantz itself, and typically the Japanese assembled AVRs are of higher grade with higher yield electrical specifications and better capability to drive 4 Ohms speakers. Many AVRs cannot handle 4 Ohm loads well mainly due to the point they have downsized the power supply and heat sinks for cost reasons. Also if an AVR is rated by the brand with a 4 Ohm specification than UL will test it under more rigourous testing.

I have not tested the Elite AVR models so I will not comment further about their 4 Ohm performance but...

I do find it very surprising that if in fact they do not handle 4 Ohms

loads well.... :cool:

Just my $.02 worth.. :)
I didn't know that the AVRs after the 7200 were made in Japan. If that does mean they are able to handle 4 ohms loads then GREAT! Now if only Marantz would allow us to download the owners manuals like other manufacturers. Then I could check and see if they really do support 4 ohms loads...and would not be taking a chance if cranked to Reference Levels.

Some simply cannot support 4 ohms loads and thus do not list it or recommend it. But brands that do say so include B&K, Onkyo and Yamaha...

Any how, I hope a marantz owner comments to confirm that the SR9300 WILL indeed pump out 4 ohms loads :)

Nite! Btw...any one wanting to talk home theater tech join #dvd on the efnet servers....

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Quote:
Why would you be surprised? Pioneer has made it clear it does not work w/ 4 Ohm loads.
Because certain THX speakers are 4 Ohms...

And if in fact the Elite AVRs cannot drive these satisfactorily then THX has no relevance for matching up their components for a fully compatible THX system.... :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Dark7pt1,

I also contacted Pioneer regarding this issue and got the exact same answer.

I used my vsx-37tx to drive my Lsi's until I added a seperate amp (Outlaw 7100). The difference was remarkable. I wrote a review here .

If you have your heart set on the Lsi's, use a seperate amp or start looking for a reciever that can adequately power the speakers.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Bghead8che,

Is your 49TXi factory-warrantied? If so, ask them to update the protection circuit/firmware to "fix" the problem. Maybe you should not mention these things or that you are driving 4-ohm speakers; just tell them the receiver shuts itself down at normal volume levels. Go read MileRP's "Elite manufacture date" thread about this.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks Sushi. I agree, I think it is an overactive protection circuit. My amp is only 2 months old so I assume it is the latest build.

-Brian

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Zimkas
Dark7pt1,

I also contacted Pioneer regarding this issue and got the exact same answer.

I used my vsx-37tx to drive my Lsi's until I added a seperate amp (Outlaw 7100). The difference was remarkable. I wrote a review here .

If you have your heart set on the Lsi's, use a seperate amp or start looking for a reciever that can adequately power the speakers.
Hello Frank,

Like I said. It's better to be safe than sorry. If I do get the 47tx I will definitely stick with either 8 or 6 ohms speakers.

Though, if I like the LSi as much as I think I will (I recently heard a satelite speaker/sub system from Polk Audio...was probably the entry level system...was very impressed with the sound quality...especially the sub...can't imagine how much better the PSW650 must sound :)) I will definitely opt for a receiver capable of delivering 4 ohms loads. B&K 505 being my choice at the moment...till I find out more about the Marantz SR9300...SOME ONE WITH A SR9200 or SR9300 PLEASE COMMENT!! :))

That or go with separates. Anthem avm20/mca50/mca20 OR Anthem avm20/Bryston 9B SST/4B SST OR Rotel 1066/Anthem mca50....etc.

Later guys!

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Denon uses M&K (all 4 ohm) as the speakers to demo gear at trade shows. I have the 5800 (upgraded) and it has run the M&K 150 THX Ultra 7.1 speaker setup with no trouble for nearly 2 1/2 years.

Great Match! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.