AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally. The answer that we’ve all been waiting for. :)

NYT – 10/21/04 – Business Section – Pg. C1 – by Matt Richtel

“Texas Instruments, the largest maker of computer chips for mobile phones, plans to announce today that it is developing technology that will allow wireless handsets to receive hundreds of high-definition channels. The phones would not be marketed until 2007.â€

Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
huh?

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Due to the constant endless chatter and speculation as to when TI is finally going to be benificent enough to release a reasonably priced true 2k chip for consumer HT, I thought it was time to put things in perspective. However, the article is real. Check out NYT on-line for the full story.

BTW, bet they sell a helluva lot more of these cellphones than 1080 fps, although I've got serious doubts as to who needs Hi-def on that size screen.

Palladin

·
Registered
956 Posts
I, too, say "huh?" and even more, "WTF?"

I know there are infinitely more cell phones out there. And I know lots of folks, unlike me, want to do all kinds of gadgety type things with them. I just never would have thought viewing TV, much less HDTV, was one of them.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Does the size of the screen on a "wireless handset" even warrant HDTV?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Also, maiking phones that recieve hi-def isn't the same as making phones that display hi-def natively. Does the article say the phones would have HDTV resoluton?

I am guessing they mean the phone will have the ability to recieve OTA digital signals including HDTV...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hmmm. Mobile phones that display broadcast TV have been available in Japan for a while now, but I'm not so sure it's something that will (or should) catch on in the States. The folks here have an attachment to their mobile phones (keitai) that borders on the unhealthy. You'd have better luck finding someone with 12 toes than you would finding an adult without a mobile phone. I would say that the majority of e-mail that circulates throughout Japan is mobile phone-based rather than PC-based. Besides e-mail and built in digital cameras which have been available for years, you can find phones with QVGA screens, web browsing, full-motion MPEG video camcorders, MP3 playback, built-in fingerprint scanners, picture-phone capability, etc. Adding TV was just the next logical step. Americans' relationship with their mobile phones strike me as different (whether this is because of a fundamental difference in culture or lack of available phone features is open to debate). Regardless, the over reliance on mobile phones has been credited by some experts in Japan with the erosion of communication skills among the younger generation. I'd hate to see this happen back home.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congratulations Wohlstad, JJay (and presumably Fidelity). I wondered if and when somebody was going to catch that. :D

Palladin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.