AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least 3 RPTV's use this chip...why would TI even bother with a "new" chip of lesser resolution when everyone would seem to want the higher rez chip?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

· Registered
634 Posts
In a word:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Look at the price difference between the IF LP340 and 350. The SVGA chip is much cheaper. Since it's the same basic DMD chip, the 848x480 product can make their technology more affordable to people who watch DVD and NTSC. If you're watching HDTV, then you should get the XGA version or something like the Sony 10HT.

------------------

Steve

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Alan,

Specifically which users are you talking about? Have some of the manufacturers released pricing info for the 848x600 DLP projectors?

If so, how much?

-phil

· Registered
634 Posts
Alan,

They could price it slightly higher and still be a good bit cheaper than the XGA version. Do you know how much of a "premium" they're charging for something that shouldn't cost any more to produce (same chip, different driver, although I'll grant them a few bucks to develop the driver chip)?

------------------

Steve

· Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chips are already out there, and it can't be more expensive to build a FP than a RPTV...can it?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

· Registered
6,092 Posts
The story is that TI let the RP market have 2 year head start over the FP market.

The problem is the RP market was a year late.

So when will they let make the 720P available for FP, Start of 2002 or 2003?

A big wig from TI will be in the special guests forum to answer this question and others in a couple weeks.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Now that will be a very interesting special guest. I just can not see that TI has a big drive in seeing the resolution go up for single chipper DLPs.

My guess is the 3 chippers may see some increases in resolution but the mobile business market drives single chippers and XGA is fine for Powerpoint.

I think TI are having pretty good sales and the competition from LCD has been pretty lackluster in terms of pixal dropouts-black level-fill factor. DLP also seems to be popular as a replacement for CRT in business situations so the market is still strong on demand.

While its strong you do not just go plowing money into something like HT, which is a pimple on a camels as_ in size.

I think the anamorphic lens market is the answer to us who crave more resolution from XGA in HT situations. As Alan has demonstrated with his 2:35 lens photo's, a 2:35 picture using the whole panel is not a bad way to go.

Who said round pegs and square holes do not work.
1280x720 (summer 2002 ??) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 05-09-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.