AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
1,270 Posts
What is TI thinking???

I guess they want to give the market to JVC. Of course, JVC doesn't seem to know what to do with all the marketing mis-steps that TI keeps making. Eventually one of these companies is going to realize that the best way to make the biggest boat load of money is to give the consumer what they want at an affordable price.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
This is such a typical blunder for TI.

The competitor is raising the stakes with higher resolution displays at a lower cost, and TI produces a chip that maxes out at DVD resolution, down from their 1024 X 768 models that are already below both LCD and D-ILA competitors. Sheesh!

I know that they are doing this to define the lower-end of the product line, and differentiate the SDTV-only models from the commercial 1280 capable 3-chip models used for E-Cinema applications.

But the ONLY selling point of these chips (whether in RPTVs or FPTVs) is if they could sell displays based on them REALLY cheap, like $1200-2000.

DLP History:

LCD: "I have a V4"

DLP: "Well I have a V6"

LCD: "Well I now have a V8"

DLP: "Well I now have a V6!"

LCD/D-ILA: "Well now we have a V12!"

DLP: "Well now I have a V5!, so there!"

-Dean.

· Registered
372 Posts
I think TI is simply trying to maximize profits by squeezing as many 0.7" chips out of a wafer that they can.

In the process they may be squeezing themselves out of the market!!!

Dumb move TI, the venerable Sony 400Q had a better 1080 x 480 delta pixel structure that was highly visible IMO from normal viewing distances and lacked detail because of the vertical pixel count (among other reasons). I don't think the higher fill rate of DMD will help TI in this case.

Thumpers 2c

· Registered
146 Posts
Perhaps this device is aimed more towards small RPTV's. I'd take 852x480 on a 40" TV. Also, when compared to the amount of pixels used by displaying 16:9 letterboxed on current 1024x768 4:3 DMD's...852x480 doesnt look so bad.

jason

· Registered
168 Posts
I think the 848x480 chip is a terrific idea for those of us who watch DVDs and non-HDTV. The resolution of the source material would be matched by the projector without scaling errors. Is there any benefit in higher resolution if the source material is 480?

· Registered
168 Posts
I'm all for 848x480 chips if they are cheaper!

I read several posts in this forum comparing the Infocus LP340 (SVGA) and 350 (XVGA). The consensus is that the added resolution doesn't improve DVD playback.

I don't watch HDTV, so the added resolution (and expense) isn't necessary. I think a scaler-less, small, bright, 848x480 DLP projector

would be a terrific idea. I've got high hopes for the Plus Piano and the SIM2 HT 200DM. BTW, any word on the prices of these projectors?

· Premium Member
16,974 Posts
I agree with a couple of points made here.

This chip will be great for dvd and dvd only but you will have to stick with a smaller screen so you do not see the screen door effect. I prefer a larger screen myself.

If TIs marketing excuse is true that this is their miada chip because of its low resolution then I also hope we do not find the cost of FP using this chip in the same price range as the higher resolution projectors.

If so there will be no reason to buy this unit if for the same price you can buy the 1024 unit from Seleco or Dwin.

With all the new scaler technology on the market the higher resolution units are no longer suffering from scaling deficiencies.

You definitely get a smoother picture, more film like from the 1024 chip. Case in point the dila.

What we need is a HT dlp in the presentation price range. Current dlp projectors designed for HT such as the Dwin and Seleco are selling to a very small niche and will never make it into the main stream until pricing drops to at least half. You can currently buy the Dila for half the cost of both

the Dwin/Seleco.

------------------

Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger

AV Science
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 05-05-2001).]

· Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger:

You can currently buy the Dila for half the cost of both the Dwin/Seleco.
Alan,

could you please elaborate on that? Or did you mean half the cost of both the Dwin/Seleco?

Holger

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Sorry to be a little backwards, but the only benefit that I can see, is that this chip can do 240Hz.

How can they say it's a widescreen chip if its 848x600 on 1:33 and 848x480 on 1:78.

Now dumb question's are dumb question's but how can a square (1:33:1) have more pixels if this is a true widescreen chip (1:78:1) ?

Forgive me if I am off target here, but something fails the reality test in my old brain.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 05-05-2001).]

· Registered
1,160 Posts
You can call me paranoid, but I think that this is a sign of the MPAA's pressuring to keep all home video presentations under 800 X 600 resolution, and kill off HDTV.

It would be a hard sell to get people out into traditional theaters (which many will be converting to digital projection) if you can get the same quality picture at home with a HD-DVD player (which they are also trying to prevent from being released), and high resolution digital projector.

So the MPAA has been working with the cable companies to keep the maximum digital movie resolution to 640 X 480p, offering cheaper SDTV displays, and institute DVI/HDCP, DFAST, and 5C/Firewire encrypted DTV connections to change everything to pay-per-view. And have DVD stay the highest resolution media for home viewing.

Sure, most people only watch DVDs at home, but three years ago most people hadn't even heard of DVDs, and all watched VHS tapes, so no one needed higher resolution or widescreen displays then.

Likewise, most people watch TV using the TV's speakers, so would you rather see reciever manufacturers stop supporting DD 5.1 or DTS audio because many people won't use it, and it's cheaper?

Or do you want the product with the best quality and features to drop in price, only to be be replaced by a newer product with better specs, quality and features, for less money.

If this is a move to create low-cost (sub $1500) entry-level RPTV or FPTV filler products to entice people who would buy a tube TV, or NTSC-only TV, then I think it's great.

But if it's lowering the standard to draw us away from wanting HDTV at home, then it's counterproductive and short sighted.

For those of you that have seen HDTV, or even good scaled DVDs on a higher resolution display, you know what I mean.

-Dean.

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Paranoid !!!

Why just because we have "NO"

Digital Video out.

Digital Multichannel 96/24 out.

High resoluton 1:78 DLP's.

No HD-Dvd.

Virtually No HD Recorders. (Panasonic 1000 no NLA)

Firewire standard. etc etc

Why would you be "Paranoid".

MPAA !!! (I think they are the Paranoid Ones)

DavidW

· Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Holger

The Dwin retails for $12999 and the Seleco retails for $11999.

While this is retail they street for a little less. We were selling the G11 new for $6k. You can still find them at this price once in awhile

and in b stock for $5k if you look around.

Again this new chip needs to be priced according!

Because it is a HT chip we will not see this in any presentation units.

That means companies like Seleco/Dwin/Yamaha who are building for this HT market will be using this chip.

------------------

Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger

AV Science
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 05-05-2001).]

· Registered
352 Posts
Hi Alan,

there is a big difference regarding prices in Europe. A SIM HT200 has a retail price of $6400,- , a SIM HT250 lists at $8400,-. A JVC G-15 I saw at a price of $12800,-. These differences exists because of the high $-rate of exchange and shipping/taxes.

Greetings, Walter.

------------------

Graz, hometown of the Terminator...

· Registered
44 Posts
Alan,

thanks for your explanation. I wasn't aware that there were any G11s still around. Walter explained why things look differently from this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

(It is just so that after reading your original post, I had this image in my mind of somebody double-stacking a Seleco and a Dwin to get the ultimate picture quality. It might actually reduce the color wheel artifacts - now that's an idea.)

Holger

· Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Hi Walter

I was quoting a G11. The G15 is pricy here as well.

My point was not to say Dila is better but that it is a much higher resolution unit for less money! I hope this lower res chip ships in a cheaper FP model. If so it could be a big hit in the HT industry. If they price it to match current pricing it will fail.

The new 1024x768 Davis DLP which will ship in a couple of months will retail for $8k so it will street for much less and this unit offers everything. This unit also uses the new RGBRGB color wheel.

------------------

Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger

AV Science
www.avscience.com

· Registered
352 Posts
Hello Alan,

as far as I know the new Davis Cinema Ten Pro will be shipping at July and will cost about $6800,- in Germany. There is a big difference in pricing comparing Europe/US regarding SIM and Davis. I think I will go for the new SIM HT200DM. The internal scaling works very well for PAL-sources and the Dila units need a good outboard-scaler, which increases the price.

Greetings, Walter.

------------------

Graz, hometown of the Terminator...

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Dean,

I also dont think youre paranoid- thats a great point I never considered.

We should monitor what happens with the DILA rptvs to see if something similar happens- if it does then you know its the MPAA....

- Jerry

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.