AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the "Will LCOS survive" thread Tryg posted the following link to an article about DLP shipments passing LCD in 2005. IMHO the most interesting quote in article was the one from Ian McMurray, the worldwide media relations manager for DLP products at TI.

Market Report

"McMurray says one of DLP’s previous drawbacks, color, is being improved. TI expects that a new color wheel to appear in products in the first quarter of 2003 will use an Archimedes spiral to apply more color to the chip, so red, green and blue are on the chip at once, which McMurray says will also increase brightness by 40 percent."

Just when I thought it was safe to jump into a 7200. :( Now I'm afraid I should wait until CES to see if Archimedes wheel systems are really that close or if this was simply wishful thinking from a media relations manager.

·
Registered
317 Posts
WOW, no more rainbows and brighter picture in just a few months!

I hope its true, I will wait a few months to jump in! Thanks For the Info!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The brightness is a bonus, as that will make DLPs more competitive with LCDs on that front.

BUT, and a big but, is that the we do not know for certain if the archimedes colour wheel elinates rainbows.

Indeed, it might eliminate what we know now as rainbows, but create a different artifact due to the now vertical and tri-colour flashing that will likely be there.

I hope it works though....as this would allow me to finally move the the high contrast world of DLP.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsharpe
Just when I thought it was safe to jump into a 7200. :( Now I'm afraid I should wait until CES to see if Archimedes wheel systems are really that close or if this was simply wishful thinking from a media relations manager.
When is CES?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Just when I thought it was safe to jump into a 7200. Now I'm afraid I should wait until CES to see if Archimedes wheel systems are really that close or if this was simply wishful thinking from a media relations manager.
Once the Archimedes colour wheel comes out it will be time to wait for the cure to the "dimple" issue. And then it will be time to wait for the HD3 chip, and then it will be time to wait for...... Will this ever end?

I am holding out on replacing my PLV-60 until DLP projectors are available with the Archimedes colour wheel and a solution for the "dimple" issue. This should be sometime next year. The way I see it is that the Archimedes colour wheel will boost the brightness of DLP projectors to levels acceptable for my 125" wide microperforated GrayHawk and eliminate the rainbow artifact since all three colours are displayed at the same time, and the "dimple" solution will significantly increase contrast. I predict that within a year there will be DLP projectors with 1500 lumens AND 3000:1+ contrast ratios. Now that will be awesome.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShePearl
January 9-12, 2003
Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"and eliminate the rainbow artifact since all three colours are displayed at the same time."

As I said..this is not something that is known now.

What the archimedes well does is scroll the colours across the chip....it does not display all three colours across the entire chip at the same time.

Negating anything else, it is possible that this may create other artifacts.

Now, because it is much smaller segments being flashed, etc...I too am HOPING that the archimedes wheel will indeed solve the "colour separation artifacts", in that it will either be too fast or too small for a optic system to detect. Yet, no matter what they do, a single chip system will always be potentially susceptiable to this issue.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Although this article was in the November 2002 edition, my experience is that reporters often use outdated information. My company was just featured in the Wall Street Journal and they said that we've shipped 60 some percent of what we've actually shipped and that our main competitor (GE) will ship 1600 this year. They'll actually ship zero. So, I wouldn't completely bank on the 1st quarter of 2003. We should have a better idea at CES, though.

--Darin

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Guys,

Don't expect the SCR "Archimedes" wheel projectors to be free of its own type of artifacts.

The first use of them will be in business projectors to get higher brightness. It will be awhile before the wheel and electronics are refined enough to give an HT quality picture.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
Although this article was in the November 2002 edition, my experience is that reporters often use outdated information.
Very true, I have had similar experiences. In regards to,

Quote:
We should have a better idea at CES, though
This venue is not any better in fact the hype that goes on it might be even worst with all the vaporware that gets floor time.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Pease
This venue is not any better in fact the hype that goes on it might be even worst with all the vaporware that gets floor time.
I agree somewhat. Sometimes you can see through it, though. For instance, if InFocus were to show a 1280x720 projector with this new wheel and said it would be shipping soon, it would give us a good idea that either:

1. It is coming out soon.

2. There is some issue that makes it less desirable than the 7200 for home users.

3. It will have a much higher price.

Otherwise, they would be taking away their own sales. I'm not saying that every company makes the best decisions, but sometimes you can figure things out by looking at what they have to gain. Now if NEC showed the same thing I would think that they might partially be trying to slow down competitor's sales in a segment where they don't have a strong product (not taking anything away from the HT1000 just below this segment).

--Darin

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
David,

I was about an hour late in pushing the reply button.

So, I was agreeing with your first post but I wasn't trying to be redundant having not seen your second one.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
And then it will be time to wait for the HD3 chip, and then it will be time to wait for...... Will this ever end?
Ha, of course not! That's what keeps their marketing machine finely tuned. Everyone keeps buying into these small improvements. Marketing geniuses them Texans. Let the customer market the product for them. Hey Microsoft does the same thing hmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Wigggles, it was in jest, my friend.

And of course it will NEVER end!

If it did, capitalism would fail...This disucssion came up elsewhere, in explaining where there is no lightbulb that does'nt burn out!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
TI doesn't make projectors, it just makes projectors better. Remember at TI, progress is our most important product. You can be sure if its TI. :)

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
This is just total speculation on my part, but I wonder if somehow that mystery, third empty spot on the InFocus Screenplay web page at http://www.infocushome.com/projector...x.asp?lang=eng will soon be filled in with a newly announced pj based on the Archimedes wheel...

If it was, then one would have to think that it would debut at a much higher price point, since, as mentioned earlier in this thread, they'd be taking sales away from the newly introduced 7200 otherwise.

Normally I wouldn't think InFocus would be ready to introduce a new high end HT pj so close to the 7200, but I have found it odd that they seem to have specifically designed that web page with a placeholder for another pj. And being that the Screenplay series is all about HT, whatever pj goes in that spot obviously would not be a business pj.

Then again I could be totally reading into something that isn't there. I guess we'll have a much better idea once CES is underway... Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
LovingDVD,

The third spot is going to be filled by their upcoming 7300, a $3K 3000:1 3000 Lumen HD-2 machine.

Ooops, I wasn't supposed to say anything, sorry

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.