AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't believe their agreements matter.

My only deal was with Dish, and they are responsible for their product to me not the MPAA.

Say there were no agreements at all. Do you really think it is legal for a company to sell subscriptions, sell you eq. to receive them at $100, and then the next year say they are upgrading and you have to throw out your eq. and buy a $10,000 replacement.

If that isn't fraud I don't think it exists.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
My hypothesis is that they will "sell" you the upgrade cheap, maybe even subsidized with programming for the difference so that you do not sue them.

Most class action suits are settled with "coupons" for MORE of the offending product or service.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could be right. But if you are, I will get my service from Canada. Only reason for me to buy from Dish at all is so I can record.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
The Canadians, ExpressVu (which uses Echostar technology) and StarChoice, liscense their movies at the studios as D* & E*.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhe:
Only reason for me to buy from Dish at all is so I can record.
This would be a prime reason for Dish switching them off; I'm sure they realize than people with HD1000's are using them to record; however, I really don't think there'll be much if any immediate action for a variety of reasons, at least until a clutch of new STB's arrive late next year byt which time ther should be other recording options. Enjoy it while you've got it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
How many Dish 5000 (w/ or w/o HDTV Modulators) would you think are in use among the 5,000,000 current E* subscribers?

I am wondering in an effort to "retire" all the Dish 5000 WITH HDTV Modulators, what the likelihood will be of Dish offering a subsidized MANDATORY "use it or lose it" upgrade to all active Dish 5000 owners to either a SD (301) or HDTV (6000)solution-AFTER WHICH THEY DE-AUTHORIZE THESE HDTV ANALOG CAPABLE RECEIVERS FOR GOOD!

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they do that, they would seem open to lots of lawsuits.

We bought and paid for our equipment. They have no right to disable it, or force an upgrade, unless the new equipment is capabable of the same functionality that we originally purchased.

This would be just like buying a car with a big V8 engine and then finding that it is recalled due to a defect, and they give you a free 4 cylinder 30 HP engine in it's place!

This would not only make them liable in my book, it would make them guilty of theft.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Our programming is a subscription service subject to E*'s agreements with the studio content providers.

HDTV content could be limited to "compliant" receivers whose capabilities are subject to the content providers copyright agreements with E*- I'm sure it's buried somewhere in the subscriber agreement.

So, they could de-authorize the 5000's under the guise of compliance with these agreements.

All the 6000's are (user) upgradeable to DVI (and maybe 1394) as they exist today.

Murray Kerdman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.