AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
‘Real’ Atmos support is finally here!

Tidal is vastly expanding its support for Dolby Atmos Music today to include living room set-top boxes, TVs, and speaker systems for subscribers to its $19.99-per-month Tidal HiFi service. Or, depending on how you feel about the mobile version of Atmos, Tidal is launching its first “real” implementation of Dolby Atmos Music today.

Technically, today’s launch marks the second rollout for Atmos on Tidal. The company initially launched the feature back in December for the few Android smartphones and tablets that supported the mobile version of Atmos, but the living room version of the feature (with the far better speaker systems that it offers) will likely offer a much better experience than the mobile one.

YOU’LL NEED ATMOS SPEAKERS, OBVIOUSLY

In order to actually take advantage of the new feature, you’ll need a few pieces of hardware. First and foremost is a Dolby Atmos-compatible speaker setup, be it a soundbar, sound system, or even your TV’s built-in speakers. You’ll also need a streaming device that both supports Atmos sound and has Tidal. Devices that meet those metrics include the Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, Fire TV Stick (second-gen), Fire TV (third-gen), or the 2019 models of the Nvidia Shield

TV or Shield TV Pro. Sony and Philips smart TVs that support Atmos and run Android TV will also work without the need for a set-top box.

Assuming you’ve got all that set up, Tidal will automatically stream the Atmos version of a song or album, assuming there’s one available. Tidal also will label available songs with a “Available in Dolby Atmos” tag, and users can search the phrase “Dolby Atmos” to specifically find compatible tracks. Additionally, Tidal is also curating dedicated “At Home” playlists featuring Atmos tracks.

To celebrate the launch, Tidal is also offering an extended 60-day free trial for new subscribers who are interested in trying out the new Atmos Music for themselves.

You can read about it here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/28/21273103/tidal-dolby-atmos-music-support-tv-home-speakers-sound-bars-hifi

https://tidal.com/partners/dolbyatmos

This is great News!! Well Maybe. Read Comments below.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
It still does not work. I have a fully ATMOS capable system. Denon 8500h, Apple 4k Tv, Fire Cube 2nd Gen and the Shield Pro new version. On all devices I can stream Dolby Vision & Atmos video content without problems. Try to play any songs in any of the Tidal Atmos playlists and all I ever get it 2 ch PCM. Yes I have the Hi-Fi account level. Very frustrating every time I try.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It still does not work. I have a fully ATMOS capable system. Denon 8500h, Apple 4k Tv, Fire Cube 2nd Gen and the Shield Pro new version. On all devices I can stream Dolby Vision & Atmos video content without problems. Try to play any songs in any of the Tidal Atmos playlists and all I ever get it 2 ch PCM. Yes I have the Hi-Fi account level. Very frustrating every time I try.
Wow! That's got to be very frustrating!

I could see Atmos not working with the Firestick or Cube as it's been wonky with certain providers when Apple 4KTV and the Shield Pro worked fine.

Maybe try contacting member sdrucker as he has got it to work on Apple TV.

It's post 51 here : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/3101050-dolby-atmos-music-arrives-amazon-music-hd-2.html#post59720314

Reactions: Adamg (Ret-Navy)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same boat for me, Amazon fire tv stick into a marantz av8802a no joy.
tried it on my sony x900F arc in to the marantz no go on that either, although it was said yo need EARC from the tv for it to work, so long as they are using the dolby+ version of atmos and not the full dolby atmos it shouldn't matter.
I also have a ticket in with Tidal

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
tried it on my sony x900F arc in to the marantz no go on that either, although it was said yo need EARC from the tv for it to work, so long as they are using the dolby+ version of atmos and not the full dolby atmos it shouldn't matter.
Yep... Currently, Atmos audio from Tidal does not appear to work on the Amazon Fire devices :eek:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
When Dolby Atmos music is available on Blu-ray I'll try it. There are plenty of movies with great soundtracks in Atmos...one place to check is https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/theatrical-releases.html I've never liked streaming and from what I see here, I like Tidal's Atmos audio least of all.
There's some pretty good albums released on ATMOS. A few that come to mind:

• Beatles: Abbey Road
    Kraftwerk: Numbers
    REM: Automatic For The People
    INXS: Kick
    Max Cooper: Emergence
    Booka Shade: Galvany Street

Reactions: youhavequestions

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^^^^Well at least I’m not alone here.^^^^^

Thanks for posting guys!

JJHXBR, Thanks I will reach out to sdrucker and inquire how he got it to work. Might be due to his Trinniov.

According to this article dated May 28th, this ATMOS feature will launch early next will in some type of rollout.
https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/28/tidal-announces-dolby-atmos-support-for-sound-bars-and-set-top-boxes-apple-tv-included/
I got it working yesterday through my ATV4K box into my Anthem AVM60. Was not overly impressed with the sound. It sounded very compressed and the sound stage was still very focused on the front with little or no sound coming through the atmos or back channels for that matter.

I used the sound track from A Star Is Born which I also own on Ultra Blue Ray. I have listened to Shallow and I Always Remember You This Way as my evaluation tracks when setting up the system. Big difference between Tidal and the Blue Ray. Canceled membership right away. I have a buddy with a Monolith and he is going to give it a whirl as well. I will be interested in what he hs to say.

·
Registered
28 Posts

• Beatles: Sgt Pepper
Thanks, weekendtoy! I knew someone on here would know if there were any music titles on Atmos Blu-ray. I'll start looking.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

Beatles: Sgt Pepper
There's also, Beatles - Abbey Road

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep... Currently, Atmos audio from Tidal does not appear to work on the Amazon Fire devices :eek:
^^^^^Well at least I’m not alone here.^^^^^

Thanks for posting guys!

JJHXBR, Thanks I will reach out to sdrucker and inquire how he got it to work. Might be due to his Trinniov.

According to this article dated May 28th, this ATMOS feature will launch early next will in some type of rollout.
https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/28/tidal-announces-dolby-atmos-support-for-sound-bars-and-set-top-boxes-apple-tv-included/
Thanks for the feedback. After hearing the above reply's, I'm not going to even try to get this to work since I got a Firestick and Cube. Makes me wish sometimes I had sprung for the pricy Apple 4K TV or Shield Pro. :rolleyes: Maybe eventually they will get the Firestick and Cube working. :)

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. After hearing the above reply's, I'm not going to even try to get this to work since I got a Firestick and Cube. Makes me wish sometimes I had sprung for the pricy Apple 4K TV or Shield Pro. :rolleyes: Maybe eventually they will get the Firestick and Cube working. :)
I tried them all. With zero luck. So the Apple 4k and Shield Pro don’t work either. I’m hoping that the new version of Tital just has not seeded in my area yet? One can hope!

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
I tried them all. With zero luck. So the Apple 4k and Shield Pro don’t work either. I’m hoping that the new version of Tital just has not seeded in my area yet? One can hope!
That could be. I have an Apple TV 4K, connected on HDMI to the Trinnov Altitude. I didn't have Tidal on the ATV as an app, but I set up the 60 day Hi Fi trial with my account info and then installed the Tidal App on ATV. I signed in, then got a prompt to verify a code that I was sent to type in on my iPad (also on the same network as the ATV and the Altitude). Once I entered it in the iPad, I got a message that I was Dolby Atmos compatible and off to the races.

Did you try uninstalling then reinstalling Tidal?

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
@sdrucker, did you notice any difference in sound? Did the atmos seemed compressed or muffled in any way?

For what it's worth, the Altitude shows the playback of the Atmos tracks as Atmos/Dolby TrueHD, 48 khz, and 12.8 Mbps. I have the REM disc so I have to do a proper comparison against the BD.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
That could be. I have an Apple TV 4K, connected on HDMI to the Trinnov Altitude. I didn't have Tidal on the ATV as an app, but I set up the 60 day Hi Fi trial with my account info and then installed the Tidal App on ATV. I signed in, then got a prompt to verify a code that I was sent to type in on my iPad (also on the same network as the ATV and the Altitude). Once I entered it in the iPad, I got a message that I was Dolby Atmos compatible and off to the races.

Did you try uninstalling then reinstalling Tidal?
Hi sdrucker,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did delete app and restart then reload the app on each device. I tried it again this morning and it worked on the Apple 4K TV, but did not work on the Fire Cube 2nd Gen or the Shield Pro. But any progress is good and I will take it. So thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate your help here!

Still confused why its not working on the Cube or Shield? I did the delete and reload reboot sequence on each unit 3 times. Kept getting the Message "System does not support Dolby Atmos" Using other apps like Netflix, VUDU Atmos worked every time. Bugs remain for now.

Have a great Weekend Sir!:cool:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I tried it again this morning and it worked on the Apple 4K TV, but did not work on the Fire Cube 2nd Gen or the Shield Pro.
Glad to hear you at least got one to work! :)

So looks like the current score is :

Apple 4K TV = 4 (updated)
Firestick/Cube = 0
Shield Pro = 0

Hopefully Tidal will get the bugs worked out soon or this may never even get off the ground.

If any brave souls manage to get the Firestick/Cube or Shield running with Tidal Atmos please let us know!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts