2,421 Posts
There's some pretty good albums released on ATMOS. A few that come to mind:

• Beatles: Sgt Pepper
    Kraftwerk: Numbers
    REM: Automatic For The People
    INXS: Kick
    Max Cooper: Emergence
    Booka Shade: Galvany Street
Although it exists and been publicly demo'd, the Atmos version of Sgt Pepper has not been publicly released (which is a damn shame). I own the expensive Sgt Pepper box set with the Blu-ray with DTS-HD MA 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1 but no Atmos. I wish they would release the Atmos mix on Blu-ray without having to buy another expensive box set again.

Abbey Road was released in Atmos and sounds great on my system.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
A pattern emerges. Kind of. Only a few data points so far. Score looks to be 4/0/0 in favor of Apple 4kTV.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
I just downloaded the official app into my Shield TV [2017] linked it via PC no problems, showed my favorites and all that jazz, in fact I had an Atmos compilation playlist saved from earlier since my phone is compatible [Note 10+] :rolleyes: Anyway hit play and on the bottom I had a message appeared that said "playing back in stereo, device is not compatible to play Atmos" or something along those line.

Tidal needs to look into this the Shield is the most complete device out there that is able to stream Atmos on any apps it support. And yes I've been a Tidal Hi-Fi subscriber for a year now.

Reactions: Adamg (Ret-Navy)

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
On a positive note. Did a long listening demo yesterday. Played mostly the Jazz ATMOS playlist, but also played a few selection from other playlists. Some Classical , Pop and the Rock list.

My impressions. Firstly there seems to be a gain issue. Another Words the MV must be set considerably higher when streaming ATMOS versus PCM 2CH. At first I thought this was a obvious result of compression. However, after many hours I came to a different conclusion. The Gain difference seems to be due to a much lower noise floor and vastly wider Frequency range dynamics.

The Music in ATMOS was inspiring, crystal clear and well engineered. The sound stage is very dynamic and instrumental placement enhanced the musical experience. Much like a live Band in a Jazz club, the presentation is superb and transforms your listening experience as to that of being front center row at a live stage performance. I truly enjoyed the immersion and impressive dynamics of the Songs I demoed.

Goosebump inducing. All my listening experiences so far, were using the Apple 4KTV. As @thehun pointed out. Tidal needs to fix the problem with the Shield not working at this platform may present the bet hardware chain to produce the very best sound quality path. That is pure subjecture on my part since there is no way to test my hypothesis.

What Tidal is endeavoring to deliver here is in my mind a Major move to take Atmos Music mainstream and thusly transform the home Music experience as Dolby Atmos has done for the Home Movie experience.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
For what it's worth, the Altitude shows the playback of the Atmos tracks as Atmos/Dolby TrueHD, 48 khz, and 12.8 Mbps.
What? They use True HD? and at that bitrate might as well have a 4k picture streamed too. Something doesn't add up there.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
FilmMixer confirmed in the regular Atmos thread that it's DD+, converted and output as PCM by the ATV.
Yes I know that's what it should be, however not even True HD requires 12.8 MBps streaming bit rates let alone the lossy DD+....

Having said that there can be no conversion as the Atmos metadata would be lost. Atmos has to be decoded by the downstream device not the player, so ATV must stream it unaltered to the receiver/pre/pro/soundbar.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is there any info outthere that explains how Tidal is doing this Atmos thing? Are the artists releasing or remixing to an Atmos track or is someone at Tidal performing this duty? Or is it just some software algorithm?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Is there any info outthere that explains how Tidal is doing this Atmos thing? Are the artists releasing or remixing to an Atmos track or is someone at Tidal performing this duty?
Some labels have signed up to remix their catalogs...
Or is it just some software algorithm?
Atmos technically is a software though a mix had to be created with it. There is no reason to "fake" it at the source since all Atmos decoder has a DSU.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Ok so it seems that Tidal updated the app on my Shield TV [2017] and it works now no problem.
Yes I can confirm it is DD+ with a dialnorm offset is at -13-14db so the output will be substantially lower than the regular 2ch mixes, so be mindful when you create a playlist that might includes both. So far what I've heard is very nice if not blowing my mind away.... enjoy! :)

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
Ok so it seems that Tidal updated the app on my Shield TV [2017] and it works now no problem.
Yes I can confirm it is DD+ with a dialnorm offset is at -13-14db so the output will be substantially lower than the regular 2ch mixes, so be mindful when you create a playlist that might includes both. So far what I've heard is very nice if not blowing my mind away.... enjoy! :)
Hi thehun,

Great info thanks for sharing. I went back and just rechecked the Fire and Shield. As you stated the Shield is now working and so too is the Fire Cube. So Kudos to Tidal for fixing this problem.

I did check what type of INPUT Format/Sound Mode the actual device is delivering to the AVR. Results:

Fire Cube: Dolby Digital +
Shield : Dolby Digital +

Apple 4KTV: Dolby ATMOS 48 kHz

It appears from this basic info that the Apple 4KTV is delivering the full bandwidth Pure Dolby Atmos Master track. While the other two services are downmixing to Dolby Digital + "Lite" version of Atmos.

Concur with "Blowing mind away" results. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Hi thehun,

Great info thanks for sharing. I went back and just rechecked the Fire and Shield. As you stated the Shield is now working and so too is the Fire Cube. So Kudos to Tidal for fixing this problem.

I did check what type of INPUT Format/Sound Mode the actual device is delivering to the AVR. Results:

It appears from this basic info that the Apple 4KTV is delivering the full bandwidth Pure Dolby Atmos Master track. While the other two services are downmixing to Dolby Digital + "Lite" version of Atmos.

Concur with "Blowing mind away" results. :cool:
Are you sure you don't mean Dolby Digital Plus with DSU doing upmix? I don't have a Fire Cube or Shield so I can't test this.

Think it was already mentioned here, but it seems the Trinnov has a cosmetic display bug for showing Dolby Atmos/True HD with an Atmos track. What we're getting is the Apple MAT format, an Apple specific metadata format, being rendered into Atmos by the Altitude. So we get the full intent of the mixer, but the actual streamed track is lossy, not lossless. Main reason as per FilmMixer is that streaming services use fixed bitrates. So you get 12.8 Mbps on the Atmos content. A truly lossless codec+rendering would be variable bitrate. Content is 48 kHz, period.

For what it's worth, when I first put on a Dolby Atmos track, the Altitude shows 24.3 Mbps before the bitrate changes to variable and nothing is displayed. Note sure that number is truly accurate, but at this level you might be getting into inaudible subtlety even if it were true compared to 12.8 Mbps bitrates.

Either way, depending on the specific track, you can get "simple" 7.1.2 or 7.1.4, all speakers having some content at some time in my layout depending on the Atmos 3D location metadata utilizing them, or something in-between. As to compressed sound, it depend on the music and depends on the mix process by the producer. Remember, unlike movies, there's no "standard" for music mixing for db levels and use of compression/limiters.

Still, I agree the sound blows me away, by and large.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean Dolby Digital Plus with DSU doing upmix? I don't have a Fire Cube or Shield so I can't test this.

Think it was already mentioned here, but it seems the Trinnov has a cosmetic display bug for showing Dolby Atmos/True HD with an Atmos track. What we're getting is the Apple MAT format, an Apple specific metadata format, being rendered into Atmos by the Altitude. So we get the full intent of the mixer, but the actual streamed track is lossy, not lossless. Main reason as per FilmMixer is that streaming services use fixed bitrates. So you get 12.8 Mbps on the Atmos content. A truly lossless codec+rendering would be variable bitrate. Content is 48 kHz, period.

For what it's worth, when I first put on a Dolby Atmos track, the Altitude shows 24.3 Mbps before the bitrate changes to variable and nothing is displayed. Note sure that number is truly accurate, but at this level you might be getting into inaudible subtlety even if it were true compared to 12.8 Mbps bitrates.

Either way, depending on the specific track, you can get "simple" 7.1.2 or 7.1.4, all speakers having some content at some time in my layout depending on the Atmos 3D location metadata utilizing them, or something in-between. As to compressed sound, it depend on the music and depends on the mix process by the producer. Remember, unlike movies, there's no "standard" for music mixing for db levels and use of compression/limiters.

Still, I agree the sound blows me away, by and large.
Hi sdrucker,

I don’t understand your question Sir. I only reported back the information available on my Denon 8500h AVR information display and menus and what streaming data is provided by the Denon 2016 AVR Remote App Ver: 3.3.3

You caused me to go back and proof read my previous post for accuracy. What I posted in regards to the stream content of Shield & Fire both delivering “Dolby Digital +” compared to the Apple 4kTV delivering what “appears” to be a true “Atmos” stream container is correct to the best of my knowledge. Which is minimal in regards to what happens to the originating audio data inside the Streaming Device prior to delivery to the AVR.

This Streaming audio format data (Shield & Fire verses Apple 4kTV) observation was derived directly from the Denon AVR 2016 App on screen information about the “Input” and “Output” relative audio formats.

If I have misunderstood your questions I apologize.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Hi sdrucker,

I don’t understand your question Sir. I only reported back the information available on my Denon 8500h AVR information display and menus and what streaming data is provided by the Denon 2016 AVR Remote App Ver: 3.3.3

You caused me to go back and proof read my previous post for accuracy. What I posted in regards to the stream content of Shield & Fire both delivering “Dolby Digital +” compared to the Apple 4kTV delivering what “appears” to be a true “Atmos” stream container is correct to the best of my knowledge. Which is minimal in regards to what happens to the originating audio data inside the Streaming Device prior to delivery to the AVR.

This Streaming audio format data (Shield & Fire verses Apple 4kTV) observation was derived directly from the Denon AVR 2016 App on screen information about the “Input” and “Output” relative audio formats.

If I have misunderstood your questions I apologize.
Don't forget that the Apple TV 4K does not bit-stream multi-channel audio (such as: Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos) in the conventional way, it uses an output format called Dolby MAT.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Hi thehun,

Great info thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.

That's not how things work, there is no such thing as "Atmos light" or "full bandwith Pure Dolby Atmos Master track" certainly not through a streaming service.

Atmos is a metadata, there are two ways to carry that data either via Dolby Digital + or Dolby True HD and or Dolby MAT. As far as Atmos works it doesn't matter which, you're not getting a better Atmos via True HD. There is no down mixing or any funny business since one of the major advantage of Atmos that it can be scaled by the decoder, so no "pre rendering" is required for a use with a soundbar or a full HT set up, it's automatic.
As for reporting things differently that's just how certain hardware's are programmed.

So yes one is getting actual Atmos from Tidal via Shield just like one is getting it via Plex, Emby, Vudu, Prime, and someday via Netflix [that is up to Netflix].

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

I still don't know what your Altitude is reporting there as there is no soundtrack out there in home media that requires such bit rate, and I'm sure that Dolby Digital + doesn't support anywhere near 12mbps, let alone 24.3MBPS that is blu ray picture quality territory. The highest I've seen posted for Dolby True HD+Atmos was 8mbps.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts