AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tier threads: how come most people care more about picture quality over audio? (judging by the number of views and replies)

Thanks! :

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Please conduct an OPINION POLL to evoke better response. To me PQ carries more precedence than SQ.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Why on earth wouldn't they? The whole basis of film and cinema started out as a purely visual medium.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
PQ issues are imho less subjective (that is debatable for sure), as you can demonstrate problems with screenshots that I don't think you can demonstrate w/ audio, even if you could capture what you were hearing others might not hear the difference.

FWIW AQ is very important to me, and I love being able to access the lossless audio.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would say since most problems start with PQ. I think only once did I every have problem with SQ after watching a disk.

·
Registered
459 Posts
PQ is the essence of the movies, esp. now that its in HD. Its more noticeable, and got a WOW factor than the AQ can bring. IMHO, AQ are only for those who are keen to it and wants the best, for most, I think they wont mind/notice.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
personally i care for audio more, but i do know most care about pq more. hell there are ppl that still dont have a surroudn setup paired with hdtv.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd personally rather watch upscaled dvds with 7.1 pcm 24-bit audio than 38mbps constant avc encoded 1080p clean sourced/transfered video with dolby digital any day.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Well its a double edge sword.

Do you want to look at a good looking woman, or listen to her whisper in your ear?

I'll take both.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The best analogy is to use a beautiful woman.

Is it important that she looks hot (PQ) or is intelligent with a good personality (AQ)?

For many men, PQ comes first and then AQ is evaluated. It is a waste to have a TrueHD IQ woman in a VHS body.

Give me a 1080P hottie...we can then work down in the AQ department from there.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Because it's a motion PICTURE. Jeez... as noted, the first films didn't have ANY sound.

Perhaps radio is a format the OP should look into...

MEC2

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I think it's because picture is more scrutinized and variable than audio. Most any recent movie is going to sound great, especially if it's one of the typical HT enthusiast genres like action or sci-fi. Picture, on the other hand, is going to vary wildly due to styles and shooting methods.

I'm sure the sound designers could disagree and say that different mixers have different styles and such, but the average person isn't going to notice that as much as films with grainy looks or different color schemes.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 /forum/post/12944396

Is it important that she looks hot (PQ) or is intelligent with a good personality (AQ)?

For many men, PQ comes first and then AQ is evaluated. It is a waste to have a TrueHD IQ woman in a VHS body.

DANG thats where I went wrong all those years. Im a sucker for a sexy voice, then I end up with a VHS body but hey when she calls my name WHEW

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector /forum/post/12943260

Tier threads: how come most people care more about picture quality over audio? (judging by the number of views and replies)

Thanks! :

If you looked carefully in the sticky threads, you would find an audio tier thread.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Picture is what's noticed first, people would need to have good speakers to begin to analyze the audio. How many people do you see inside the speaker rooms at an electronics store compared to staring at the TVs?
Quote:

Give this man an award!

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Simple enough: Most people cannot differentiate enough variance in audio for it to matter as much. Most people don't have golden ears, in other words.

In my past experiences, the ones that really do are most interested in music through tube amps, with super high end headphones, not movies through speakers.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:

There are no women with good personalities but there are movies with them. J/K. Both are equal in my book.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts