AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 884 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #621 (Edited)
It's expensive to try and acquire " perfection " in home theater and wine collecting. And a whole lot of other things ( bicycles too ).

Terry - you must be on pins and needles waiting for this install!
Mr. C. Peer,

Your 100% correct and as you might have seen & read the post I did yesterday see below Link.

This is for the owners of the JVC RS4500 Laser Projector !!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-u...s4500-z1-owner-s-thread-149.html#post59726788

When the RS4500 started turning itself off I thought to myself.
Oh great a year later to finally get the changes/up-dates installed and also to get Chad B to do his Custom Calibrating.
And now the RS4500 is for some UN-Known reason occasionally shutting-down. :( :( :( :( :(
And as the days were going by it was starting to do it more frequently !!!
Thank-Goodness I did finally decide to reach out to Mike Garrett here on AVS and ask him what he thought ???
Anyway, it seems that situation was something Super-Simple to solve.

Cathy has now started saying to me Terry ............
Monday Honey :) is June the 1st and Wolf-Hill-Technologies is coming the week of June 8th through June 12th.
Then Chad will be here Tuesday, June 16th at 10 AM.

She also said, Terry your going to have a Totally-Awesome B-Day Honey. :D :) :D

We are both so looking forward to all this to finally take place in the weeks to come.

Well the wife says you are WAY COOLER than me because I drive a BMW 740d M/sport. 😂
Luminated67,

Your not doing so bad with that ride buddy. LOL !!!

Terry

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
^Yeah it’s a nice drive but not what you would call cool and definitely not if you happen to be in your seventies and driving one, that’s sub zero as Clarkson would say.:D:

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
^Yeah it’s a nice drive but not what you would call cool and definitely not if you happen to be in your seventies and driving one, that’s sub zero as Clarkson would say.:D:
Luminated67,

Well Cathy (Wife) and I didn't have any children so we both have what we consider ideal Sports Performance Sedans.

She has the New VW Golf R we purchased new and she really-really likes it.
In-Fact once I took delivery of the Audi RS-3 I asked Cathy if she wanted me to place an order for a new Audi S-4 Sedan and her do the Build-Out for it just the way she would want it ???

Her instant response was ............ No ...

So, we are all set for our car situations .............

Next week I will be 75 years-young and the New H/T installs will take place. :D :) :D

Terry

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My next door neighbor's son has a Golf R awd with MANUAL transmission!

Reactions: Mocs123

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
My next door neighbor's son has a Golf R awd with MANUAL transmission!
The only way you could get our Golf R was with the DSG Automatic Transmission.
No-Worries though as it perform excellent.
Cathy & I both for years and years had Manual-Tranny-Cars.
But as the years rolled by we switched over to the Performance Automatics. :)

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #627 (Edited)
Hey Terry!
Did the install happen this week?!?

Can't wait to see pictures and read your impressions of the upgrade.
COACH2369,

Well here is the Bottom-Line as things stand currently.

I can 100% promise you that there will be a few pictures see below post.
And I will share my "Matter-of-Fact" opinions.

(1) Wolf Hill Technologies is 99% completed their part.
.... They had to order 2 additional RGPC 400S AC Line Conditioners.
.... They also placed a Special Order for a Black electronic remote to turn On & Off the Staircase & All Sconce-Lights.

(2) Chad B will be here June 16th (Tuesday) around 10:00 am in the morning to do the Custom Calibrating for ONLY the Audio !!!

(3) The reason he will only be doing the Audio is the JVC RS4500 is going to have to be Shipped to JVC for Repair in California right after Chad B leaves.

Please, Do-Not ask me a bunch of questions regarding anything to do with the JVC RS4500 Laser projector.
I will be posting "Multiple-Videos" of what the issue is with it when I also post the pictures so hang-on guys.

I took like 150 plus pictures so far and have narrowed those down to finally 90.
I'm guessing but maybe 10 more total remaining pictures to go for a Grand-Total of 100 to actually Post.

I hopefully will be doing the actual post this coming week ..............

Thanks for the inquiry,
Terry

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Hey Terry,

Sorry to hear about your projector.
Hopefully it is a quick repair with a quick turnaround.

I guess the good news is that your projector will still look really good, without a fresh calibration, to go along with your new audio.

Excited to read about your impressions when Chad finishes.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
(2) Chad B will be here June 16th (Tuesday) around 10:00 am in the morning to do the Custom Calibrating for ONLY the Audio !!!

(3) ....the JVC RS4500 is going to have to be Shipped to JVC for Repair in California right after Chad B leaves.
Man, that's like finally convincing your dream girl to come back to your place....only for her to pass out during the car ride there....ugh!!

What's the turnaround time on the projector repair and your theater is back to 100%?

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #631
That's a beast of a shipping case !
Yes it is HUGE buddy !!!

Hey Terry,

Sorry to hear about your projector.
Hopefully it is a quick repair with a quick turnaround.

I guess the good news is that your projector will still look really good, without a fresh calibration, to go along with your new audio.

Excited to read about your impressions when Chad finishes.
Oh No-Worries I'll be doing my Feedback once all is completed.

Man, that's like finally convincing your dream girl back to come back to your place....only for her to pass out during the car ride there....ugh!!

What's the turnaround time on the projector repair and your theater is back to 100%
?
Well I think for me to say anything at all that this is NOT a Bummer would just be so CRAZY.
It ............... SUCKS guys................

I have not a clue on the time-line for JVC and the overall repair and shipping time back to me.

The H/T will be down until it does come back to me.
I/We will miss it as we are in the H/T 7-days a week.

Terry

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It may or may not be worth your trouble, but you could probably pick up a used projector to use in the meantime and re-sell for minimal to no loss. That way if you are out of your projector for a while you can still enjoy your home theater. I've got a JVC 46U you could use, but the zoom gear is stripped so it would be hard to integrate into your system.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #633
It may or may not be worth your trouble, but you could probably pick up a used projector to use in the meantime and re-sell for minimal to no loss.
That way if you are out of your projector for a while you can still enjoy your home theater.
I've got a JVC 46U you could use, but the zoom gear is stripped so it would be hard to integrate into your system.
Mocs123,

I appreciate the Heads-Up but truthfully it's just more trouble than I want to go through.

I'll just chill until it gets repaired and comes back to it's permanent home. :D :) :D

Thanks again,
Terry

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
audio calibration summary

Terry invited me to share my unfiltered impressions on the audio calibration.

I was very happy to see symmetrical corner placement of the four SVS subs, which Terry said was recommended by SVS. One sub in each corner of the room gives more even coverage throughout the room and stronger reinforcement than the original placement. I confirmed with REW measurements that the subs were all reinforcing each other when set with the same polarity; and their individual responses were quite consistent, with relatively minor differences between the left and right and the front and rear. We decided to leave all ports open, which will sacrifice extension below 20 Hz but increase maximum output above that frequency.

I then measured the frequency response of the floor level speakers (Atmos channels were measured differently) at the main listening position with no bass management and no Audyssey correction.
Treble response was generally excellent with a smooth slope above 3 Khz, as expected and desired at the MLP, though the surround channels had a more severe roll off. The main L and R matched closely, but had an undesirable emphasis in the midrange. Bass extension was good down to around 30 Hz, and with their large woofers and equally large ported enclosures, these could be used as full range (normally with augmentation from setting the subwoofer output to LFE+main) in some setups.

I did the Audyssey calibration using the Audyssey app, which allows for much more fine tuning. Three measurement points were tightly clustered around the MLP, rather than scattering measurements farther out in the room. Audyssey wanted to set the front to large, but since Terry has such capable subwoofers and likes to have freedom with the overall volume, I changed them to small with a 60 Hz crossover after some experimentation. Audyssey came up with a 40 Hz crossover for the center and surrounds, but 60 Hz was a better choice for them as well. Audyssey decided on 100 Hz for the top front, 60 Hz for the top middle, and 90 Hz for the top rear, which were all reasonable choices. Since Terry's speakers are much more sensitive than average, Audyssey came up with strongly negative levels for all channels, though none quite hit the -12 dB limit.

Per discussions with Terry, I boosted the surround and Atmos channels progressively toward the rear between .5 and 3 dB. The subwoofers were also boosted, mainly with their own level adjustments, after running Audyssey to give a house curve with a powerful but not bloated bass.

I turned off Audyssey's midrange compensation and limited the MultEQ Filter Frequency range to 3.5 KHz for the front L/R to take care of the midrange emphasis while leaving the excellent treble alone, 7 KHz for the center, 20 KHz for the surround, 7 KHz for the surround back, 7 KHz for the top front, 4.5 KHz for the top middle, and 7 KHz for the top rear. I used the Curve Editor to add a 4 - 4.5 dB downward slope on all channels, which counteracted Audyssey's tendency to slope up in frequency and ended up evening out the final response. Audyssey's Dynamic EQ was disabled.

Measurements were again taken with my own mic and REW, and a few final tweaks were applied. A single band of EQ was added equally to all the SVS subs with their own controls to smooth a slight bump in the upper bass after Audyssey, which did a good job with the rest of the sub's range. The transition from the subs to the other speakers was smoother after reversing the polarity of all the subwoofers.

The after calibration measurements were taken at a single point at the MLP rather than a cluster around the MLP, as was done for Audyssey. The slight separation between channels was due to intentionally boosting the surround outputs toward the rear.

The sound was memorable, which is saying something considering the number of systems I work with. The bass was very powerful, with the capability to get the room and my pant legs shaking. If this were my system, it would be all the subs I'd ever need, unless one of the main purposes of my system were to impress true bass heads. The dynamics of the rest of the system had no trouble at all keeping up. These speakers have a rare combination of high dynamics, detail, and spaciousness. Horn and compression drivers can have fantastic dynamics, but I've not heard them match this system's delicacy and naturalness. On the other hand, other high end, well designed cone and dome speakers can give the detailed, spacious sound heard here, but rarely do they match this system's dynamics. The center channel did an outstanding job, with no hints of vocal hardness on one of my test scenes that tend to show that behavior on many other systems. I did feel that sibilants in the center channel were a little too crisp sounding, but not in a hashy or distorted way. This can be a big plus for many listeners who want a bit of extra clarity in dialog, though it would likely be not quite to the tastes of purists. Music and movie sound effects were both handled extremely well. I think Terry's going to have a lot of fun times ahead with this system!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That sounds awesome!! I know @tigerhonaker is going to thoroughly enjoy his new system and @Chad B 's detailed write up reminded me that I need to scrape together some cash and get him to come to my place.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Terry,

Congratulations on your superb system.
Chad B gave a very good write-up and if he says your audio is "memorable" that says a lot.

You have had a busy year researching and putting together what is definitely a one-of-a-kind home theater that is to be envied.

I'm glad that everything came together to deliver a fantastic system for you and Cathy.
Pity that you have to send the JVC projector to California just when your audio gear is installed and calibrated.
Fortunately it shouldn't be long before you have it back and can start to just relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor (and money.)

Cheers my friend,
Tom

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #638
Excellent write up Chad.
Terry, you are going to have some great movie watching ( and listening ! ) when the RS4500 returns.
Craig,

Just waiting for the rest of the gear to arrive at Wolf Hill Technologies.
Then they will come back and complete the installation.
Plus, they will then remove the RS4500 from it's ceiling-mount and place it in the JVC Hard-Case.
Lastly they are going to actually place that HUGE Shipping Hard-Case in their Van and take it to UPS for me.
My (Opinion) is it more than likely won't be at JVC repair center all that long as Mike Garrett has already sent them the report on it's Failure-Codes.

That sounds awesome!!
I know @tigerhonaker is going to thoroughly enjoy his new system and @Chad B 's detailed write up reminded me that I need to scrape together some cash and get him to come to my place.
Mocs123,

I am very much looking forward to Chad returning and doing the RS4500 once I get it back from JVC repair-center in CA.

Terry,

Congratulations on your superb system.
Chad B gave a very good write-up and if he says your audio is "memorable" that says a lot.

You have had a busy year researching and putting together what is definitely a one-of-a-kind home theater that is to be envied.

I'm glad that everything came together to deliver a fantastic system for you and Cathy.
Pity that you have to send the JVC projector to California just when your audio gear is installed and calibrated.
Fortunately it shouldn't be long before you have it back and can start to just relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor (and money.)

Cheers my friend,
Tom
Hello Tom,

I appreciate your kind comments above ^^^ :)

Terry

·
Premium Member
12,577 Posts
Terry invited me to share my unfiltered impressions on the audio calibration.

I was very happy to see symmetrical corner placement of the four SVS subs, which Terry said was recommended by SVS. One sub in each corner of the room gives more even coverage throughout the room and stronger reinforcement than the original placement. I confirmed with REW measurements that the subs were all reinforcing each other when set with the same polarity; and their individual responses were quite consistent, with relatively minor differences between the left and right and the front and rear. We decided to leave all ports open, which will sacrifice extension below 20 Hz but increase maximum output above that frequency.

I then measured the frequency response of the floor level speakers (Atmos channels were measured differently) at the main listening position with no bass management and no Audyssey correction.
Treble response was generally excellent with a smooth slope above 3 Khz, as expected and desired at the MLP, though the surround channels had a more severe roll off. The main L and R matched closely, but had an undesirable emphasis in the midrange. Bass extension was good down to around 30 Hz, and with their large woofers and equally large ported enclosures, these could be used as full range (normally with augmentation from setting the subwoofer output to LFE+main) in some setups.

I did the Audyssey calibration using the Audyssey app, which allows for much more fine tuning. Three measurement points were tightly clustered around the MLP, rather than scattering measurements farther out in the room. Audyssey wanted to set the front to large, but since Terry has such capable subwoofers and likes to have freedom with the overall volume, I changed them to small with a 60 Hz crossover after some experimentation. Audyssey came up with a 40 Hz crossover for the center and surrounds, but 60 Hz was a better choice for them as well. Audyssey decided on 100 Hz for the top front, 60 Hz for the top middle, and 90 Hz for the top rear, which were all reasonable choices. Since Terry's speakers are much more sensitive than average, Audyssey came up with strongly negative levels for all channels, though none quite hit the -12 dB limit.

Per discussions with Terry, I boosted the surround and Atmos channels progressively toward the rear between .5 and 3 dB. The subwoofers were also boosted, mainly with their own level adjustments, after running Audyssey to give a house curve with a powerful but not bloated bass.

I turned off Audyssey's midrange compensation and limited the MultEQ Filter Frequency range to 3.5 KHz for the front L/R to take care of the midrange emphasis while leaving the excellent treble alone, 7 KHz for the center, 20 KHz for the surround, 7 KHz for the surround back, 7 KHz for the top front, 4.5 KHz for the top middle, and 7 KHz for the top rear. I used the Curve Editor to add a 4 - 4.5 dB downward slope on all channels, which counteracted Audyssey's tendency to slope up in frequency and ended up evening out the final response. Audyssey's Dynamic EQ was disabled.

Measurements were again taken with my own mic and REW, and a few final tweaks were applied. A single band of EQ was added equally to all the SVS subs with their own controls to smooth a slight bump in the upper bass after Audyssey, which did a good job with the rest of the sub's range. The transition from the subs to the other speakers was smoother after reversing the polarity of all the subwoofers.

The after calibration measurements were taken at a single point at the MLP rather than a cluster around the MLP, as was done for Audyssey. The slight separation between channels was due to intentionally boosting the surround outputs toward the rear.

The sound was memorable, which is saying something considering the number of systems I work with. The bass was very powerful, with the capability to get the room and my pant legs shaking. If this were my system, it would be all the subs I'd ever need, unless one of the main purposes of my system were to impress true bass heads. The dynamics of the rest of the system had no trouble at all keeping up. These speakers have a rare combination of high dynamics, detail, and spaciousness. Horn and compression drivers can have fantastic dynamics, but I've not heard them match this system's delicacy and naturalness. On the other hand, other high end, well designed cone and dome speakers can give the detailed, spacious sound heard here, but rarely do they match this system's dynamics. The center channel did an outstanding job, with no hints of vocal hardness on one of my test scenes that tend to show that behavior on many other systems. I did feel that sibilants in the center channel were a little too crisp sounding, but not in a hashy or distorted way. This can be a big plus for many listeners who want a bit of extra clarity in dialog, though it would likely be not quite to the tastes of purists. Music and movie sound effects were both handled extremely well. I think Terry's going to have a lot of fun times ahead with this system!
Chad,

Did you take any measurements of the Atmos speakers? If so, what signals did you use to measure them? I have been doing similar to you with Audyssey, but I've used the 9.1.6 test tones off the 2018 Disney Demo Disc for setting levels of the ceiling speakers. I noticed you adjusted these levels but didn't see what signals you used for the adjustments. Thanks.

Craig

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
Hello,

I decided to go ahead and place the following orders on Amazon Prime.
I'm thinking that Wolf Hill Technologies will probably receive the Richard Gray Devices and the New Black-Remote Control this week, hopefully.
If they do I'm pretty sure Charles will send the Techs over to complete the H/T installation.
If the above takes place they will also be removing the JVC RS4500 laser projector from it's ceiling mount.
Placing it in the Hard-Shell-Shipping-Case JVC provided and dropping it off to the local UPS Store for me.

So, these Hard-Disc will be here waiting for the RS4500 to return from JVC's repair center in lovely CA. :)

Terry

621 - 640 of 884 Posts