AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 818 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #661
Hello,

Just received a few more 4K disc.
These will be interesting to See & Hear especially "War of the-Worlds".

Presented in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio !!!

Terry

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Hello,

Terry

Terry: If that is the new 4K version of War Of The Worlds, the bass is completely neutered. The 4K version also comes with a Blu Ray version which is a completely different animal. While the video portion of the 4K version is better than the BluRay 1080P version, it in no way makes up for the horribly crippled audio. The 4K version loses all of the suspense and mystery and drama and scariness of the BluRay.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
Terry: If that is the new 4K version of War Of The Worlds, the bass is completely neutered. The 4K version also comes with a Blu Ray version which is a completely different animal. While the video portion of the 4K version is better than the BluRay 1080P version, it in no way makes up for the horribly crippled audio. The 4K version loses all of the suspense and mystery and drama and scariness of the BluRay.
Chuck,

Man I am so Very-very Disappointed. :( :( :(

That really-really sucks as I was so looking forward to seeing it as well as it having the new audio in the,
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio !!!

Well this is truly a major disappointment !!!

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #664
Chuck,

Man I am so Very-very Disappointed. :( :( :(

That really-really sucks as I was so looking forward to seeing it as well as it having the new audio in the,
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio !!!

Well this is truly a major disappointment !!!

Terry
Okay Chuck,

I was going to put-off watching and hearing the New 4K version of the "War of the Worlds" until I got my RS4500 back from JVC in CA.
And of course listening to it after the in-coming 4 SVS PB-16 ULTRA subs arrive and Chad B does Both the A/V custom calibrating.

I'm now going to fire-up the H/T and check the New 4K out right now ............

T.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #665
Guys,

Below is what my Marantz AV8805 does with the audio for 4K "War of the Worlds in the 5.1 Audio Format option I picked.

I'll just say this regarding that 4K movie.
The video has much better color and overall is a noticeable improvement from the older DVD of it.
(It is not like a Modern 4K Blu-ray In-My-Opinion)

Speaking of the Audio .................
It is okay but it certainly is not like modern audio we find on 4K movies like Action/Movies.
The Bass and Surround in my 7.4.6 does work but honestly if I knew what I do now I personally wouldn't have purchased it.
(It simply is not all that Great or even remotely a Major-Up-Grade in sound)

As I said above I chose the 5.1 Audio Version.

Look at the Left-Side and you can see what speakers are Automatically picked and on the Right-Side what the Marantz Picks.

Below is the Audio the Marantz AV8805 "Converted" the Audio to.

Terry

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Look at the Left-Side and you can see what speakers are Automatically picked and on the Right-Side what the Marantz Picks.
This is not correct. The left side shows what signal you are receiving from the source media, in this case 5.1 digital audio. The right side is what speakers you have manually set up and activated in your Marantz speaker setup. The Marantz doesn't set this...you do...or in this case Chad B did. As you toggle through the different surround modes, this will show you precisely what speakers are active. NeuralX processes 5.1 content and essentially 'upscales' it to full surround for as many speakers as you have connected. NeuralX is the only surround mode which will create the additional surround information.

Below is the Audio the Marantz AV8805 "Converted" the Audio to.
This is also not correct. The Marantz will autodetect Dolby or DTS bitstreams and automatically switch to one of those surround modes. It doesn't convert anything, it merely selects what it thinks is the best surround mode based on the digital bitstream it is receiving. You can hit the "Mode Movie" button repeatedly to toggle through the different surround sound codecs to get to the one you personally prefer. Again, the Marantz will highlight the speaker channels it is using based on your selected surround codec so you can see precisely which speakers are active for each surround mode.

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Terry: The War of the Worlds you received is NOT the current version with Tom Cruise (based upon the images above).

THIS is the current version with the Atmos Soundtrack - and the anemic bass! But the BluRay of the movie is included that has great bass!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #668 (Edited)
This is not correct. The left side shows what signal you are receiving from the source media, in this case 5.1 digital audio. The right side is what speakers you have manually set up and activated in your Marantz speaker setup. The Marantz doesn't set this...you do...or in this case Chad B did. As you toggle through the different surround modes, this will show you precisely what speakers are active. NeuralX processes 5.1 content and essentially 'upscales' it to full surround for as many speakers as you have connected. NeuralX is the only surround mode which will create the additional surround information.

This is also not correct. The Marantz will autodetect Dolby or DTS bitstreams and automatically switch to one of those surround modes. It doesn't convert anything, it merely selects what it thinks is the best surround mode based on the digital bitstream it is receiving. You can hit the "Mode Movie" button repeatedly to toggle through the different surround sound codecs to get to the one you personally prefer. Again, the Marantz will highlight the speaker channels it is using based on your selected surround codec so you can see precisely which speakers are active for each surround mode.
Tim,

I gotcha buddy and I Thank-You for stating things as they actually are with the Marantz.

My intention was not to mislead anyone just me not able to state exactly what really takes place with the Marantz AV8805.
(After Chad B did his Custom Calibrating)

Thanks again for the your "Excellent" input and "Accuracy" buddy. :D :) :D

Terry: The War of the Worlds you received is NOT the current version with Tom Cruise (based upon the images above).

THIS is the current version with the Atmos Soundtrack - and the anemic bass! But the BluRay of the movie is included that has great bass!
Chuck,

Sorry my good-man we are speaking of two completely different movies.
The one I was speaking of is the really-really older version that was just recently released in 4K and the optional 5.1 Audio.
Just to further clarify what I said above on the audio.
It's obviously better than Mono like the much-much older version DVD.
What it's not is like the Deep/Pronounced Bass of more Modern Movies nor does it use the other speakers all that much.
If a person didn't already have the older original DVD of it then certainly the better choice would be this new 4K version.

I also have the DVD of the above ^^^

I also have the one below that's below that I haven't watched yet intentionally.
Trying to wait to watch a lot of the new 4K movies until the H/T is actually completed and of course Custom-Calibrated by Chad B.

I also have the Blu-ray of the above ^^^ and it does KICK-Serious-Butt !!!

Terry

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hello,

Presented in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio !!!

Terry

Godzilla has tons of bass wait until you watch that. My PB4000's pressurized my room so much during that movie pictures where falling off the wall looks like i need to secure a few things lol.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Godzilla King of the Monsters is a GREAT audio and visual movie! Mothra is beautiful as h3ll!

Reactions: Titan319

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #671
Godzilla has tons of bass wait until you watch that. My PB4000's pressurized my room so much during that movie pictures where falling off the wall looks like i need to secure a few things lol.
Godzilla King of the Monsters is a GREAT audio and visual movie! Mothra is beautiful as h3ll!
Guys,

I'm going to "Wait" to see and hear the 4K version of Godzilla as I want to see it on the RS4500 after it returns from being repaired at JVC in CA.
Especially now that I do have the New Stewart Filmscreen ST130 G4 Screen !!!

Plus when that happens I will surely already have taken delivery of the 4 exchanged/replacement SVS PB-16 ULTRAS.

Lastly, Chad B will do both the Audio & Video then I can sit my old 75 year butt down and be overly stimulated watching all my new 4K Kick-Ass- Movies. :D :) :D

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #672 (Edited)
Atmos W/Triad 6-Spkrs, SVS 4-PB16 ULTRA Subs, Stewart 130 G4, W/119 Pictures 3-Videos

1 Reserved

AVS members & Guest,

Please, cut me some slack guys as I am not a writer:

I'm doing this to share information with those interested.
I'm not even remotely telling/suggesting that any of you do as I have.
My opinion is we all should do as our incomes can support and the ones of us married our wives will "Tolerate".

These posts are going to include 3-Videos and 119 pictures.
I think this will be interesting to those that are deep into what many of us refer to as a, Dedicated Home Theater.
These changes/up-dates have been going on for months and months because I have changed what I wanted as the changes took place.

Example: You will see in the beginning I went with 4 SVS PB-4000 subs.
They were killer in performance as you that do follow this Thread probably read what Chad B had to say in his earlier post see Link below if you haven't read what he said.
audio calibration summary by Chad B
What I/We found out and decided the day before Chad B was coming was the new/revised permanent placement of the 4 SVS PB-4000 Subs.
And once the New locations were decided I knew right then I could have the Top-of-the-Line 4 SVS PB16 ULTRA Subs.
Those ^^^ have been officially ordered as I have already posted above.
And with those 4 New SVS PB16 ULTRA Subs it was decided to add 2 additional dedicated 20-AMP circuits.
So all 4 of them will be on separate 20-AMP circuits.

As some of you might also have already read I also changed from the Stewart Filmscreen "Firehawk" material to the now Stewart Filmscreen ST 130 G4 material.
I have covered that switch in pictures below and that change is "Dramatic" as you will see.
Note* Chad B did not do his Custom Calibrations to the new screen material because the JVC RS4500 laser projector has issues.
Those issues I will be posting videos of for you below.
Chad and I did discuss his return once both the 4 SVS PB16 ULTRA Subs and the JVC RS4500 are back in the H/T.
(It will not be a longgggg wait as Chad and I did come to a very-very workable arrangement to his quick return)

Atmos with the 6 Triad in ceiling Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus speakers you have seen in great detail in earlier posts above.
In the pictures below you will see those actually installed.

So, what do I think about all the so far Changes/Up-Dates ???
Before I say the following guys I don't intentionally "Mislead" others I post exactly what I think Good-or-Bad !!!

Let me share my thoughts on Atmos ............
Guys, it is probably one if not most "Dramatic" changes to the H/T.
The other change that might be compared will be the 4 incoming SVS PB16 Subs as I think they will also set a new standard.
What I think is my 6-speaker Atmos system to me just adds an overall Huge Envelope of Sound.
Let me say it like this about Atmos,
I'm saying no matter what the original audio source is the Marantz AV8805 (After Chad B did the Audio) automatically switches to the Maximum number of speakers.
As I have pulled-up the on-screen Marantz Audio I see how many actual speakers are being engaged.
And in many-many cases it's all of the 7.4.6 speakers.
It to me is so incredible that I now enjoy the H/T so much more than before the Atmos was installed.
I'm going to continue this as I think if I was reading this I'd want to know everything the writer/owner has to say.
(Keep in mind as I said in the beginning in BOLD above this is exactly what I think)
I have now listened to all sorts of things so I am of the opinion I can say what I think on Atmos.
Guys, if you are just maybe thinking that Atmos works like the following I can 100% assure you it doesn't.
Example:
In my case I have 6 Atmos speakers and I promise you it does not send sound to each of those Atmos speakers all the time even with the source being 7.1.2 or .4 or .6 etc ???? 4K ULTRA W/Atmos Audio encoded.
I'm trying to say above ^^^ if the Hard Disc is 4K W/Atmos audio this is what really-honestly generally takes place with the audio.
If it's one of the 4K Atmos that just happens to be Rated Super-High-Content for Atmos ???
Then you will hear sound "Directed" to each Atmos speaker to some degree.
Keep in mind guys that it happens "Extremely-Quick" so it's not like your just sitting there Bathed in Individual-Directed-Speaker audio even on the Best of the Best Atmos Hard 4K Disc and or Blu-ray Disc W/Atmos.
The ONLY-Way you can really get the Full-Atmos-Effect in Audio in my opinion is one of the Atmos-Demo-Disc !!!
And even on those there are some samples that are pretty darn KILLER and others that are simply mediocre.
So, now some of you are probably thinking what's the Big-Deal on Atmos Audio ???
Well, to me it's what I described above and below ..........
It's the H/T being Fully-Engulfed in Sound and that my internet cohorts is what it's really all about.
I love what Atmos adds in my H/T and I say and state for a fact I more than got my monies worth adding it.
It actually does 100% exactly what I expected in All-Respects for True Atmos and then what I think might be Referred to as "Simulated-Atmos".

Attention guys:
I just now recalled something about using and hearing Atmos and All-Surround Audio that I forgot to post, My Badddddd.
Note:
The following is a "Compromise" guys between watching HD, 4K & HDR content and Hearing better Surround Audio.
The Compromise is you will be moving Further Back from your Screen for HD-4K & HDR content.
I am okay with that but it is something that some of you might very well might wish to consider and take into account.
What I have found out is ...............
I slowly moved and experimented with moving my seating to the "Rear" very carefully a little at a time.
It did take me some-time as every-time I moved the love seat I then Listened to that Atmos Demo Disc over & over.
In my case I actually moved the love-seat back at least 1 1/2 feet.
I can tell you it is much-much better now with hearing the Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, and the Top Center & Rear Atmos speakers.
Where I actually ended-up with the seating is ...........
I now sit to the Center of the Side-Surrounds.
Before I was sitting to the Front of the Side-Surrounds.
This is just my thinking and of course my opinion on what I did above and what I now hear.
I'm 75 years old guys as of last month (June).
So, keep in mind that my hearing might very well be totally different than a younger-person.
I can say that I really-really like what I hear now for All-Audio-Content.
I now easily can Hear & Detect the sound moving Front-to-Rear and back and same for the Top Center and Rear Atmos speakers.
And of course the Bed Channels ...........
Keep in mind that my Marantz AV8805 is now selecting the Maximum number of speakers automatically after Chad B did the Custom Calibrating.
So, I'm saying I now can more easily hear and distinguish sounds than I ever could before after the small change to moving the seating to the rear some.
I meant to make sure I included this about Atmos as well as really All-Surround listening but I was so concentrating on the posting I totally overlooked this part about Audio.
I suggest you giving it a try and see what you think ???

Also, before I forget the 4 SVS PB-4000 subwoofers after Chad B did his Full-Custom Calibrations was to Kill for.
My audio was something that words on a computer screen IMHO cannot come even remotely close to describing.
Chad B takes all the time he needs to do Truly-Professional Audio results.
And when he completes that he then will come get you to do a DEMO with what he uses and then politely ask what you wish to listen to ???
You know I think everyone of us at times questions if we really honestly in our own opinion get what we pay for in product or services ???
Read Close Guys, Chad B is a True Professional and his Results are Profound without any Doubt what-so-ever and worth Far-More IMHO.

I am so looking Forward to when the 4 SVS PB16 ULTRA subwoofers are delivered but also when Chad B returns to do BOTH my Audio & Video Custom Calibrating.

I did mention above that I do have a New Stewart Filmscreen ST130 G4 material.
Even though Chad B said there would be no-point in him wasting his time or my money for him to a new custom-video-calibration on the JVC RS4500.
The New G4 material is instantly noticeable for added Brightness/Color Saturation etc.
Chad B did say he really likes the new material and is looking forward to working his "Magic" for the picture.

Below are the Videos as well as pictures I have to divide the posts as pictures are limited in number per Post.

I do want to say that I love the RS4500 laser projector and if I had that choice to make again I'd "Definitely" still get it.

This the 1st video of the JVC RS4500 shutting off I sent to Mike Garrett.
He sent it to the JVC Rep he works with.
The Rep said JVC wanted to see a Full-Walk-around showing it's Plugged-In & Serial Number, Plus the Blinking-Red-Light.

Below is the Full-Blown Walk-around done Slowly to cover everything JVC wanted to see.

1st set ...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #676
Atmos W/Triad 6-Spkrs, SVS 4-PB16 ULTRA Subs, Stewart 130 G4, W/119 Pictures 3-Videos

5th Reserved

As you can see in the Video below I'm trying to make sure this goes smooth in the shipping to the JVC repair-center in Sunny California.

5th and Final Post all is posted:

Terry

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Terry

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share these exciting upgrades/updates. So sorry to hear that your projector has to go in for repairs. Any idea how quickly they will be able to turn it around?

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #680
Terry

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share these exciting upgrades/updates.
So sorry to hear that your projector has to go in for repairs.
Any idea how quickly they will be able to turn it around?

Ron
Ron,
Actually the RS4500 has been shutting off for over a month or so.
At 1st I thought just maybe the rear filters might need service as in cleaning ???
I did do that and the RS4500 actually didn't shut off for like a week or so as I recall.
Then it started doing it and that's when I talked with Mike Garrett here on AVS.
He contacted his JVC Rep and that Rep told Mike exactly what he and JVC wanted to see in a Video.
As you saw above in my posts I provided what they requested.

The thing that took a lot more time than any of us were considering was my A/V Dealer waiting on the different components/gear to arrive that had been ordered.
And the rest of that story is ..........
The Black Lutron remote control to control the H/T sconce-lights ended up having to be Special-Ordered back to the Manufacturer.
It's now on Back-Order so we gave up and went ahead with everything else.

Speaking of the RS4500 I have not a clue as to how long that will be gone. :(
I do know as I posted that JVC repair center (Techs) have the "Failure-Codes" as Mike Garrett sent them.
So, just maybe this will be a straight-forward sort of repair since they actually already know what's wrong. :D :) :D

Wow Terry - it looked busy in your theater with all that work going on !
Hello Craig,
Man there was a lot of things going on with Techs from two different companies.
But, those guys are the Real-Deal and it all has ended-up being Totally Awesome !!!

Thanks for sharing this, Terry.
I hope all goes great.
Aztar35,

I will be keeping the "Faith" buddy that all will go Super-Smooth at the JVC Tech Center in sunny CA.

Terry

661 - 680 of 818 Posts